Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Re: blood trailing
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:11 pm 

well I got a call on friday night from a friend that said his friend had hit a big bull elk that morning and they had been trying to find it all day. they were going back early saturday morning with horses and mules to try to find it but he asked "do you think that dog can find it?" Oh they joy of hearing about a stomped out track :)) i told him i would come up and we could try to find the bull. He told me he was going to check with the guy that shot the bull and he would give me a call. I didnt hear anything that morning so I just figured they were done or found it, I got the call about 10:30am after they had rode the whole area on mules and horseback. I know most would turn down this great opportunity but I dont get to many chances to take sage out and work a track. We got up into the woods about noon and I tracked them into where the blood had last been seen. I was almost there and the rain came down, I arrived to were all the guys were and then quarter sized hail started to pound us. I crawled in a small grove of oaks pulled my pack up over my neck and head, and put poor sage between my legs. we all had some pretty good welts after the 15 minutes of this storm. the ground was covered in water and hail, about 2 inches thick and all of the drainages were running full blast. To say the least we were soaked! They said well we should just head for the trucks cause there is nothing we can do now, I said well im here where was the last blood and we can try it. I showed the blood to sage and he started to track it backward so i gathered him up and he started to track up the side of the mountain. most animals that are hit good will go down or side hill, but rarely will they go up. this is the point where they had lost the bull cause no one thought he would go up hill. well sage tracked to the top of this hill and we all decided to head back out cause it was still raining and everyone was soaked to the bone.
i was called yesterday and the bull was found! when it got to the top of the mountain he turned and went east until he had bedded by the fence line maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from where we left the track. I believe sage pointed them in the right direction, Im amazed he could smell anything between all the rain and hail! to say the least it was an adventure :)) oh yeah the bull green scored 383

Attachments:
0920091627.jpg
0920091627.jpg [ 21.6 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]
0920091624.jpg
0920091624.jpg [ 20.04 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:36 pm 

WOW look at those 4ths!

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm 

i couldnt believe the 3rds, and he regressed from last year. this bull had been hunted for the last 5 years by different people that i know.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:08 pm 

One valuable lesson there Chad. Trust the dog, he is the one with the nose. ;) BTW wounded animals(deer anyway) not climbing a hill is a total myth.

Good effort Sage

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm 

One of Copper and Flints 4mo. old little brothers tracked his first on Sat. morning. The deer was gut shot and ran about 300yds with very little to follow. Then he went back Sat. evening and tracked his second, that was shot in the brisket and didn't bleed for quite aways. This pup is a litter mate to the one I posted the pic of last week.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:58 pm 

ya i do trust him, but like i said it was bad out there with no sign of letting up. if anything i think they will call me earlier next time....Sage did his job even in 2 inches of water......

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:38 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The nose knows!! So, Chad, are you going to take Angie on any trails this year?? She'll do good for you!

We had Lucy on a track here on the ranch last year. It was dark and Lucy had tracked a good ways. When I got to one place, she kept wanting to go back. I thought that she was just going back and wouldnt let her go back. The next morning, we went back out. Had I let her go back like she wanted, she would have found the deer that night. The deer didnt really back track, but it did go back enough that I was thinking that she was just going back on the trail. I learn from her everytime!!

Man, that elk was great!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm 

Angie is super gritty on cats, I havent had her on a live trail trail here and I know I need to. she does good on the mock trails but its hard to leave sage home... We have a little plan for Angie thats going to take her out of the mix for a bit.... :-?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:23 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
We have a little plan for Angie thats going to take her out of the mix for a bit.... :-?

Aw, now come on, you know you cant do that to me!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

11 more days and nose to the ground and tail in the air (guess only dog folks would understand that term) well other folks might but may not take it the right way :D

new gun and 100 does to wack...training time for new dogs, dusting off cobwebs on the old timers...its on!

Jerryg

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds exciting!! And, a lot of work!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:51 pm 

Man seein all this blood trailin suff makes me wanna go break the law. It's illegal in nv to use dogs any way shape or form for cloven hooved critters.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:03 am 

Jerry, do ya'll do a aerial survey, what was ya'lls fawn crop. Everyone I have talked to it has been down due to the drought/predators. We have 80 does to take--have a 6-month old red female that will get alot of trailing time in soon and like you said no better way to get the old dog back in the game.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:11 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Our survey is on the 29th of the month, we do have 8 DMP pens and we did see a small die off there, not as much as other ranches were reporting, we were actually walking pens with pedialite which seemed to help. Our final count was about 180 faws in the pens out of 136 does. Well see how the count comes out on the 29th.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 am 

Did the pen that was hurting so bad end up producing or did it remain low?

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working