Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Finally!
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:46 am 

We finally have some rain and mild weather here in Central TX. And I post this in the working section because tomorrow morning, IT IS ON!

Ill post back with the results.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post subject: Re: Finally!
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:03 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good luck! It is still in the 90s and DRY here!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:11 pm 

Well, this may not happen after all. Now we have a freaking monsoon. It has gone from too dry to too wet in the matter of a couple of hours and nothing but thunderstorms forecast for the next 3 days....... I can't win for loosin.

Oh well, we can catch them when its too dry...... I'll try when its too wet too! I'm sure that the dogs won't mind.

Steve

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:28 pm 

lol. Yeah, it was pouring at my school in Spring Branch yesterday and they shut down several major intersections because it was flooding. Apparently it wasn't flooding enough to stop the school bus, though.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:07 pm 

WHAT A MORNING!

....... Or day, I just got home.

The morning started for crap when I forgot Ollie, my catch dog, and I didn't even realize it until I was 45min from home. That has to have been the stupidest freaking thing that I have ever done (at least while hunting). Because of my stupidity, the only catch dog that we had was an 8 month old pit pup. On top of that, we were late.

But, Banjo and one of Rex Jagd Terriers hit the ground running. We cast them from the road into a block of woods just inside the property line. In about 90 seconds, they made it 480 yards and bayed solid. We sent in a couple more dogs behind them, both for training and support, cut the catch dog pup in at about 75 yards, and had our first dead pig less than 10 minutes after driving through the gate. Nothing special, just about a 100lb sow. She sure was a tasty looking little morsel though. And great training for the pup.

We should have called it a morning at that point but.... well.... yall know me better than that. We road along casting on tracks as we went (damn the wet ground was nice) and the dogs hunted well but never came up with anything. Apparently, the pigs had moved immediately after the rain let up which was about 2:00am, 5 hours before we got there.

There was one set of really large (4 finger) tracks that seemed a little fresher but the dogs kept loosing it anywhere between 500 and 800 yards out. From the direction and location that the dogs were loosing it, I had a pretty good idea of where he was headed so we drove around a cross fence line to see if we could pick it back up. Sure enough, about a hundred and fifty yards from where the dogs lost it, we picked it up at a hole in the net fence. Again, the dogs took track, looped and hunted hard but lost track eventually. Again, somewhere between 700 and 800 yards. At this point, I knew exactly where the dogs were loosing track and I knew that there was a box canyon coming off of the Blanco River about 200 yards farther than they were trailing, right before our property line (GPS dog collars are the cats meow). I was certain that the pig would be bed up in there and the wind was at our back so we drove all the way around the border fence, putting the wind in our favor and cast the dogs into the canyon. A couple of minutes later, the dogs started to file back in and my heart sank. I just knew that damn boar had to be down there. Coming back to the buggy, one of Rex Jagds swung West out of the canyon and followed the fence back instead of coming up the draw like the other dogs. About 100 yards before he got back to the buggy, he ducked through the fence and was gone like a flash. In a very short time he made it out a little over 700 yards and we lost GPS signal. Luckily, we have permission to retrieve off the neighbors place so we started that way. When we got to the hole that the Jagd went through, there was Mr 4 fingers trail again, clear as day. We crossed the fence at 10:30am but left my rifle at the fence line. I don't even know why I did that, I have permission.... (Not taking back-up for an 8 month old catch dog was not the first stupid move for the morning, was it?).

Fast forward 2 miles later we are at a DEEP box canyon with dogs baying below us and coyotes going crazy all around. There is no telling how long the dogs have been down there alone at this point so we work our way down as quickly as possible (mostly slid on our asses down because after the 3rd or 4th time that I busted my ass on the slick rocks, I wasn't trying to walk any more). At about 60 yards above the dogs and pig, the coyotes disburse and the catch dog heads in. We can see a big black pig backed up against a shear granite face as the catch dog hits. Then all hell broke lose!

The catch dog got pummeled, cut and thrown off. Banjo was trying to help catch and the boar pounded him next. As the boar is fighting dogs, that shear face began to hemorrhage hogs. It was like they appeared out of no where and they literally ran over our dogs, stomping them into the ground. It was a stampede. Now there are hogs going everywhere and dogs in every direction and pigs just standing, trapped in the canyon, looking at us. IF Id have had the .22 that I left at the fence, I could have killed a pig for every bullet it holds. They were just standing there, they didn't know what to do or where to go, and neither did I.

Most of the dogs stuck on the big boar and followed it down to the river, the pigs all just kind of disbursed and I went to investigate WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED. I poke my head around a bolder, situated in front of that shear face, and here come 3 more pigs out of the ground. I jump back and fall on my ass (Again) as they run by. One more try, and there is a cave. Its pretty big but it had to have been crammed FULL. There were 20 or better 100+ pounders in it.

Okay so now I have messed up more times than I can count, busted my ass, all hell broke lose and I MAY have soiled my pants........ Now its time for shit to hit the fan.......

We start heading towards the dogs and big boar again, make it about 400 yards in that direction, and the coyotes open up. Eventually, I notice that Freyja is with them and I hear her barking too so I left Rex to get the big boar and ease in slow and quiet. I got to about 50 yards and I could see them under the cedar. Freyja is baying a little 100lb pig pretty tight and there are 3 coyotes baying (howling) about 10yards loose. Yes, this is another time that I could have used the rifle.... Anyway, I tried to push up closer and the pig broke. Freyja took out after it but the coyotes turned their attention to her, doing their best to take her down. I gotta say that for a 20lb dog, she has a little fight in her because she pushed them back (my running at them and yelling like a mad man may have helped) and hauled off like her tail was on fire, coyotes in hot pursuit, me sucking wind and losing ground. Another 2/3 of a mile later, when I caught up, the coyotes had Freyja surrounded in another box canyon. I was able to slip up on them from above and position myself on a ledge about 15 feet (single story eave height) above Freyja. Just as one of the coyotes closed in on her, I jumped trying to kick, land on, or kill it. The little bastard was quick but I got hair, they got gone and I got my dog back.

By now, I am lost as hell and I don't even remember how I got back to the buggy so I'll conclude simply....... Rex and the dogs lost the big boy in the now raging Blanco River. I had a 3 Mile hike back through 2 DEEP, RUGGED canyons and we got back to the buggy at 1:30pm, 3 hours after crossing.....

To add insult to injury, the freaking buzzards and Cara-Caras ate my BBQ.

PS: I have declared war on the coyotes!

Steve

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:39 pm 

Steve that is about as SAD a story as i have heard in a long time. :((

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 pm 

Great story Steve, them mistakes just make things a little more exciting. :D

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 pm 

steve, where was your pistol? :)) hey at least you know where they live now!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:28 am 

Comedy of error...... If it were not for the first mistake, forgetting my catch dog, none of this would have happened.

Steve

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:30 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Man what a story. I think you are even crazier than I am. I have to take my hat off to you for attempting to go toe to toe with the yotes.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:29 pm 

It's been raining here like crazy! This rain is much needed!

That sounds like a wild story!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:16 pm 

Steve...I swear you have a guardian Angel that follows you around everywhere!! laughing..I`m sure but always working hard! :))

So glad all the dogs are alright ! While you were "lost" Mike took Trapper & Brutus (AND Maya) out for a quick run. Bru hunted out really well..Mike was pleased, no drama just hunting hard and getting out good! They didn't get anything...but they sure looked hard. The creeks were all swollen thanks to the much needed rain, but no sign of pigs. There is always next time ;)

Yote wrestling? is that all the rage now? :-o I was only gone a week and half... :))

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:05 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Steve, I wonder what the "antis" who think hog hunters don't care about their dogs would say about that. I wonder if they'd be willing to jump on a coyote for their dog... ^:)^

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I leave for a weekend and look at what happens :-o I think Steve needs a babysitter, and obviously Ollie can't do it if he leaves her at home!

That really has to be the most unbelievable hunting story I've ever heard. Just one of those things would have been insanity, having it all happen at once is mind boggling. I'm just glad Sadie wasn't there, though Steve said he's disappointed because he knows she would have eaten some coyote for him. Yeah, right, and I would have had a full heart attack in Minneapolis!

I guess Sadie does have the moves, that's her in the green collar, getting Patch's back the moment after Jimmy's avatar picture was taken. I can't only imagine little Freyja in that position though, she's probably two-thirds the size of Patch :-ss I guess it's a good thing Steve's been practicing his coyote wrestling. Maybe Jimmy can start taking him on the trap line :))

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:35 pm 

Man what a great story and adventure :))

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working