Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Had not hunted in a couple of weeks until yesterday. Last weekend went to San Angelo dove hunting.

The guys went Thursday, but I was putting up my deer stand and feeder. From what I was told it had the potential to be a very good hunt. They caught a 150 lb boar, then they went to one of our other spots. Long story short dogs hit the ground running, struck quickly, ran the hog about 400 yds and bayed it up in a pond. They got up behind the dam about 20 ft or so and turned the catch dog loose (they only had one catch dog since I didn't go). He went to catch and the hog hit him throwing him back into the pond and the race was on. When he came out of the water, they realized how big he was. All three say he was around 300lbs, hopefully we will be able to confirm that on a later date. Two of the dogs bayed again about a mile away but lost him. Point is, next time Shelly and/or Cookie will be there, and we'll shut him down.

I wanted to go Saturday morning, problem was I was the only one. Well me Sunny, Piper, and Shelly went anyway. Well, we all got some exercise but that was about it.
I went again Saturday night with Casey, which is a friend of mine but we have only hunted together a couple of times. All his dogs are young and really just getting started. Another long story short we had not had much luck and were on our way out when we saw a group we dropped dogs and they bayed up about 400 yds out. We took our time to let the younger dogs bay a little, and ended up with about 100 lb sow. Casey was a little suprised when I pulled out my pocket knife and cut off the back legs and back straps.

I replied times are hard!!!!!!! ha ha it will feed the dogs for a few days.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:36 pm 

" Post subject: Catch Power, do you ever have enough?"

When I remember to load her, yes.......... :((

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:45 pm 

Used to have american bulldogs. You will go through quite a few before you get the ones that you will be happy with. Either they're too big and get heat stroke fast or they're dog aggressive or human aggressive. You DON'T want one with human aggression. I put that one down at the vet's...main cause was the breeder who is a well known breeder in East Texas for catahoulas....he had a litter with lots of males and he decided he didn't want to mess with the female one because he thinks all females will be smaller than males...not necessarily true. I've seen big females but anyway, the point is..he didn't socialize her that well enough so that when I got her 3 months later..she was terrified of strangers and kids and crapped almost every time I took her for a walk..I'm not talking about the normal poop. I'm talking the scared type of crap. Man! The best AB I had was simply too big and his snout was so short he had to pratically chew the hog's ear off before he could grasp a hold. I have several breeders in mind if I ever go back into hog hunting. I also like dogos but then again, you gotta weed thru the junk and they're more expensive than ABs...$1000-2000 a pup on the average. I'm glad prices on ABs are falling.

I like pits but you have to worry about small size and whether they will turn dog aggressive. So far, it hasn't happened to me but have friends' dogs turn dog aggressive. What would be your fantasy catch dog if you had the $?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

DJ, I am glad the weather did not shut you guys down. We dicided to stay inside and watch football, there were plenty of dove hunters that showed up because all the rain. Where were you guys at? I only ask because all the land I have access to around here do not have hogs yet.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Robby

I may have made my post a little confusing talking about several different days and hunts. I was dove hunting in San Angelo not hog hunting. I also did not see any hog sign where we were dove hunting, alot of deer but no hog sign. As far as where we were hunting, about all I could tell you is it was south of town. I guess I was along for the ride and not really paying attention.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ted,

As far as the catch dogs go. We normally take two and have not had a problem. We have also gone with just one numerous times and I think that is the second time that it got us or them into trouble.

Anyway, I have only hunted behind pits for catchdogs and have never had or seen any human or dog aggression out of any of them. And hopefully never will.
I am really happy with Cookie by the way
D.J.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:10 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
What would be your fantasy catch dog if you had the $?

Sorry I forgot to reply to your question. My ideal catch dog would be one I already have. Shelly leads well, catches on the ear, and doesn't let go until we break her off. She's also never showed an ounce of human or dog aggression. Total cost: $50 from the animal shelter. Cookie's also pretty close to ideal, and getting better.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:00 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
My ideal catch dog would be one I already have. Shelly leads well, catches on the ear, and doesn't let go until we break her off. She's also never showed an ounce of human or dog aggression. Total cost: $50 from the animal shelter.

doesnt get any better than that.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:02 pm 

Steve... :)) ..that's all I`m saying

D.J. you gotta love them pound puppies! Maya, Diva & Maya2 are all rescues from shelters and/or fight rings. NEVER have we had one ounce of aggression from any of them and they all three catch like pros. Mike is partial to Maya1 ...she is the ideal catch dog and didn't cost us a dime..she is worth her weight in gold tho! ;)

Those "pond pigs" can be boogers.. X_X glad none of the dogs were hurt

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:11 pm 

I've had really bad luck with catch dogs. Due to the fact that i have limited space, two dogs live in each kennel. My ideal number of catch dogs is 3, we have some big big big hogs down here and that shuts pretty much all of them down. I've caught tons of hogs with 1 40# ball of fire, i've caught lots with 2 catch dogs, and lots with 3. I've had to cycle through a bunch to find ones that won't fight, but now i have two that have zero dog aggression, and they catch pretty dang good.

I like my pit/blackmouth crosses, they are fast enough to catch a runner, and strong enough to hold.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working