Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:52 pm 

Shot another deer last night. Very little blood to follow at first, but I'm thinking I heard it crash about 100yds away. Went and got Copper from the kennel and away we went. He started good then the head come up and I thought he's got it. We run back and forth, restarted twice with nothing. I knew if every thing was as I thought, the deer would have been found. I couldn't get him to ground track it, and the wind was to our back so air scenting was no good. After I started getting agitated, I put him up and got Flint because he usually ground tracks well, same outcome with a different dog. At this point I was about as low as I could get. They both acted like they had tracked far enough, it should be right here somewhere. Knowing something was wrong and the deer had went way farther than it should have. I returned and brought Sara back(the farm dog lol) She left and about half an hour latter she returned. Knowing she had found it dead relieved me. Michelle brought Flint and Copper back, determined they were gonna get it right, I trailed with them on a short lead, Copper with Michelle, and me with Flint, Sara left on the line and they started getting interested. As the trail went on with Michelle's good eyes to spot sign, they got better and better. By half way it had clicked, they were working like pros. They started marking blood for me and everything. We end the trail about 4am, with both dogs competing to out do the other and Sara along for the ride(she already knew where we were going). At the end the deer had traveled about half a mile, and was hit in 1 lung. Sorry no pics, at dawn I really didn't care to take any.LOL

At one point we had stoped to look for blood to make sure we were going right. I sat down and Flint laid on his belly at the end of a taunt leash stretching to get a little farther. LOL Copper had learned to spot blood on command, I could ask him are you sure and he would sniff something with blood on it and look at me.These boys are pretty amazing.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:17 pm 

:-BD Way to go. That is what it takes to make a great dog.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:21 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like you had a good day!! Those dogs are learning and will get better and better. Enjoyed the story!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:29 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Great job Flint & Copper (& Sara). Keep the stories coming, Scott!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working