Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:16 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well the archery season started this weekend and I had one thing in mind. Wack a mature 6 pt buck that was keeping all the other deer off my feeder. As the sun was coming up in the horizon, I made out the outline of a buck on my hand thrown corn, as I picked up my binoculars; I was able to count 6 points. Ha! Game on! As soon as I was able to see my pins the buck jumped into the feeder pen, damn, no shot. As a 1.5 yr old came to crunch on my scatter corn, the older buck couldn’t stand it and he jumped out of the pen, pinned his ears back, and pushed the youngster out of the way. Bow in hand, as the mature buck put his right leg forward opening up the sweet spot, I came to full draw and put a slick trick through him, at what I suspected was a great shot, turned out to be not so good. A few minutes later, I picked up my arrow covered in liver blood, backed out and headed to camp for some coffee. I have recovered all liver shot deer, so I didn’t doubt this buck would be dead within 200 yards. I loaded up Chili who is my 1 yr 3 month old pup (Catahoula with hound), I started Chili last year and she did great, finding many does. She hadn’t been on a blood trail since February, so I wanted to get her on a easy track, so I thought. When I got back to the area, there were a few javelinas on the corn, I scared them off and put Chili on the track, she smelled the javies and made a run for them. After a while I pulled her off the track, smacked her on the head and put her on the blood. She got on it ok at first, then a light switch went off and boom nose to the ground and gone. As she was working the trail, a few yards in front of her the buck gets up and is gone with Chili in pursuit. She stops him and bays him up, but the buck keeps breaking. As I am running behind her, I can see where the buck is stopping to fight her. Before I know it I am at the bordering fence of the ranch, at least 1.5 miles from where I started the track, and Chili is at least 700 yards away per gps. I had permission to go into the ranch so I’m running after the dog and deer. She had him stopped in one area for at least 15 minutes but it was so thick that I couldn’t get to her. Next thing she is moving again and I can see the deer cross in front of me, down a road with Chili not far behind, by now at least 3 miles tracking. All the time, I could hear her baying but buck would keep breaking. When I finally got to about 350 yards, I yelled at her and she finally came off the track. Talk about being worn out! She did a great job, but I couldn’t get to her to close the deal. Not what I wanted on this morning. I wish I had Digger with her; he would have shut down the buck quickly. Oh well that’s the way it goes sometimes. We didn’t recover the buck, but it was not for lack of trying. I am extremely pleased with the way Chili worked, I bred her to work exactly like she did, put her nose down and not stop until we recover the game. She did just that, I thought I was going to loose her for a while as she wouldn’t give up.

That evening, I received a call from one of the guides informing me that he and his client had a management buck down and couldn’t find any blood. I loaded up Digger (Lacy) and Sadie. As I reviewed the video, I confirmed the buck was hit solid and shouldn’t be far. I dropped the dogs on the track, as Sadie took a mac attack, Digger hit the brush and stopped only 15 yards from the road and started chewing on the dead buck. Very little blood and the buck was piled up in the middle of a cactus and brush pile. Sadie got there with that look in her face, HEY, you should have waited for me!!!! ;) This was an easy track after a hard morning track. There was one happy hunter and job security for me and the dogs.

Well day one and two tracks, well see how the year pans out!!!!

Pictues soon as they are at the ranch in the camera..

Jerryg

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:27 pm 

Sounds like the dogs are ready to do for the rest of the year

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 pm 

Good job Jerry, wish the young dog had some back-up after working so hard. I know your adrenaline was pumping, it's a rush trying to keep up when your dogs are on a live one.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:58 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Keep the stories coming! And, get the pics posted. You dont need sleep!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Always enjoy reading your stories and insight, Jerry. Good stuff!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working