Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:20 pm 

Now for those of you who have never heard of coyote coursing. It was very popular back in the twenties and thirties. The common dogs used were scottish deerhounds, greyhounds, russian wolfhounds mostly sighthounds. Now the general idea is to drive along backroads and spot a coyote turn the dogs loose and let them chase it down, catch it and kill it. Back when I was Just a little guy we had a pack of grey's that we ran on coyotes and jackrabbits. I was thinking that with the speed and agility of the lacy dog that they wouldn't do half bad. I was just wandering what your thoughts where. And besides it would give us a good reason to get another catahoula.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm 

I think I've seen videos of that. It looked pretty neat to me. I love seeing sighthounds work.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:36 pm 

I know some trappers who will let their Lacy Dogs run one down. It sounds like they are pretty efficient about it....

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:58 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Just remember that Lacys are not sight hounds. They won't instinctively lock on visually the way a greyhound will. That is probably something that could be trained, but I don't think it would ever be as keen as a greyhound. And though they are hella fast, they don't have the short distance speed of a greyhound. That double gait is meant to eat up a lot of ground. It is completely inefficient for longer distances, nothing can beat the initial burst of a double gaited coursing dog.

So, like many jobs, I think a Lacy could be trained to do it. And if you just want to make an occasional run, why not? If you want to get serious about it again, sight hounds are the answer.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working