Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: once again
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well, once again Lucy and I went on a blood trail without finding the deer. Seems we have a curse. But, Lucy did such a good job.

When we got there, I let Lucy out to put her halter on. I had a hard time getting her to come to me and stay long enough time to get it put on. Seems I had parked right on the first blood!! :( I got the halter on and away she went, nose to the ground and followed the hunters very well marked trail 100%. When we got to the end of the trail, she started her usual style of hunting, some on the ground, some in the wind. The blood became less and less, which is what always happens with us. Occasionally she would stop and really smell a bit of grass and I would find a spot of blood in it. We came upon a place where she smelled a lot, but I did not see any blood. Jimmy was with us and he found a single spot of blood about 4 inches from where she was smelling. Later on we came up on blind and Lucy found another bit of blood there. I let her off lead and lost her in an oak and prickly pear thicket. I called her back and eventually she came back. The hunters had to leave, had an airplane to catch, I guess. Lucy was still hunting that buck when I had to call her in.

I hate that we took another call without her finding the deer, but I do get experience each time and this time I really learned a lot. First, I am not good at finding blood on anything but a white rock!! :)) But, what I really learned is what Jerry G has always said. Trust your dog. I am learning to trust her when I can see no blood whatever. Eventually she will show me a spot so that I know that she is still on track. She tracked right thru a bone yard and never missed a beat. That again proven to me that she was right on. At first, I thought, 'oh no' thats what she is smelling. But, she went right on thru it and went on her way. I am learning to tell that she really is following the deer, not just smelling a coon or something. Since we walk so much around here, I can definitely tell the difference in whether she is trailing or smelling something to trail. There is a difference in the intensity of the work.

It is amazing to watch her work. I am in awe of her and will do more advertising next year so that maybe we will get more jobs and find mine and hers first real paying deer! I feel so much more confident in her and me now. I just wish that I was a lot younger when I started this. It would sure make it easier on me!!! :))

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: once again
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:54 pm 

Unfortunately, when a hunter calls for a tracking dog, the odds are already stacked against you. But, if she is making it farther than the hunters can, and substantially so it seems, she is doing her job. It must be frustrating to call her off when she is still working it though.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:57 pm 

Lucy did a good job. The buck was not hit that hard. I donot think any dog could have found that deer.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:22 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry to hear that Betty but sounds like she is doing well.

D.J.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working