Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:40 pm 

Mike and I head out on Saturday before dawn and dropped dogs shortly after sunrise. We had Trapper, Brutus, Lucy and Ash with us. Trapper took out immediately as always and the rest of the dogs stuck pretty close. By the looks of his movement on the Garmin, it is pretty likely that he was on hogs almost immediately but if that is the case, he was too far out for any of the other dogs to hear him. We tried to close the gap, slowly moving in his direction, while the other dogs hunted in front of the truck. Along the way, Lucy made her first confirmed strike at about 200 yards. She has been hunting well and been in on several pigs but it is often hard to tell who actually strikes. This time though it was obviously her. Brutus and Ash were hunting the same area but Lucy got lucky and found them first. The hogs took off and Lucy singled one out, yipping at its heals the whole way. When Brutus and Ash caught up, it was game over. One 100lb pig down. Trapper had left what ever he had and showed up to help out too so we just started to head back.

Apparently, several of the pigs from that group crossed the road behind us when the broke and when we got back to that point, all of the dogs took out again. They hunted for about 15min before Trapper found one of them. The pig was a runner and for the next 30 minutes or so, we tried to catch up. Every time that we would turn around and start heading towards them, they would run the other direction so, instead of driving in circles, we just sat and waited for them to bay solid. Eventually, the pig crossed the road not 50 yards from our original location and all of the dogs caught up and stopped her. We sent in the catch dogs and had pig #2, a 150lb piggy sow.

We kept hunting and tried a couple of other spots with no luck. It was getting late in the day and the dogs were not acting like there were any tracks to follow, but we decided to give it one more shot along the back fence line. On the way back up the road toward us, all of the dogs stopped and started acting kind of funny. There was a brush pile, not 6 feet in diameter and 3 feet tall, on the side of the road and they all just kind of walked around in circles looking at it. Eventually one of the dogs, Brutus I think, stuck his head in it, and the brush pile started grunting. I immediately cut Ollie loose, the dogs piled into it and pigs came spilling out. Two 100 pounders took off away from us and a 40lb shoat ran in our direction. I guess that they had bedded up for the day. The pig that they had caught in the brush pile ended up a 100lb sow and that was #3 for the day.

Trapper immediately rolled out after the two 100 pounders that took off and showed to be a mile out in short order. Ash fell in behind him shortly there after but I don't think that she ever caught up. As we were trying to decide how we were going to get to him, he turned and started heading back in our direction. We looked across this huge valley to the hill top across from us and commented that it would be funny to see him cross a clearing that we could see about 3/4 of a mile away. No sooner had the comment been made then we saw a black dot run across headed in our direction. A second later, here comes Trapper hot on its heals. Long story short, he eventually lost the pig. He and Ash showed back up several minutes later, we packed up and head home.

The End.

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:14 pm 

Sounds like a great hunt.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:07 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like the dogs kept y'all busy!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like a great hunt Steve . I sure would like to get in on one of those some day .I have never been on a hunt with dogs but it sounds like a blast . Great story !

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like a good day. Good deal for Lucy too. How old is she now? Take care D.J.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 am 

D.J. wrote:
Sounds like a good day. Good deal for Lucy too. How old is she now? Take care D.J.

She is probably about a year and a half old. But she was also broke off pigs when I got her at a year old and it took quite a while just to get her over that. Heck, she has only been barking at pigs for ~3months.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working