Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Few Tracks
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

saturday I took my son hunting, we were after a big 8 pt, this buck would probably score in the high 30s but he has alot of mass. Well the shot presented itself and he hit the buck high, dropping it in his tracks. A minute later, the buck got his legs underhim and took off. I didnt have a shot at him when he was on the ground because he was on the other side of a brim and we were in a ground blind. As I snuck to where he was at, I saw the buck and took a shot at him missing him. We loaded up the dogs, Sadie and Digger and headed to the track. I dropped the dogs and they it the trail. Sadie is 2 yrs old and is realllllyyyyyy impressing me. She took the track for about 600 yards and came back. I kept working them down her line and they hit a seismic road and took off. I was worried they were not on the buck, but as we came out of a creek, I found a spot of blood. I was watching the dogs work in front of me and on the seismic road when Sadie worked out the track and found where the buck hit the brush. There was no stopping here now, at about 700 yards, I heard one bark then yipping. Sadie tracked the deer another mile and was never able to catch it. I guess he was not hurt enough. I zoomed in on my gps on where she crossed a fence line right before she backed out and found blood. Oh well, well keep looking for this buck.

Sunday morning I got to the ranch and one of the kids hit a 3 yr old 6 pt buck we called bullet proof. He had been missed twice in the last month. Both times by a young hunter. On this track I took Sadie and her brother Hank. The dogs hit the track and within a few minutes Sadie opens up 400 yards from the start. Hank honered her bay but didnt know what was going on when he got to her. I saw him coming in and out of the bay, this was his first buck. As I tried to sneak in, the buck broke with Sadie and Hank on his tail. I next heard the dogs baying again and a deer bawl. Buck caught. I hurried to the bay and Sadie and Hank had him caught. One quick shot put him down. Great track for Hank and Sadie is getting it done. Not putting Digger down, but Sadie is way ahead of him when he was her age. She is only 2 and is turning into a top dog. Here are a few pics.

Attachments:
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG [ 82.56 KiB | Viewed 758 times ]
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG [ 78.99 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]

Post subject: Re: Few Tracks
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hank (my partners dog in training) on the ass, Sadie and Sadies son Possum....Possum was in the dog box and i let him down after the buck was killed so he could chew on it for a while... ;)

Attachments:
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG [ 101.58 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I forgot to add, I took my sons rifle out to the range on Sunday morning. His rifle had been borrowed by some of the ladie hunters that came to the ranch a few weeks ago. Gun was 5.5 inches high at 100 yards. I am sick about this, he was dead on!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Too bad about the boy's rifle! Sorry that he didnt get the buck. Love the stories.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:27 am 

Good job Jerry, nothing like that adrenaline rush when the dogs get on a live deer. My son wishes every deer we take runs off, Keep up the good work.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Poor Jerrito! That sucks, but we all know he's a sharp shooter, guess it's part of the game. But I hope you have your eyes on another big one for him ;)

Those hounds sure look like they're doing you good. Is Dig the only Lacy left tracking this year?

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yep, Dig is the only Lacy I have left I have blood tracking, all my blood tracking dogs are crosses from my kennels .....Lacys are still hog hunting though.

Jerryg

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like the dogs had a good time.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working