Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Remi is coming around!!!
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:22 am 

Remi is fairly consistently treeing squirrels now but she has taken a step back and doesn't seem to trust herself completely... She treed two yesterday but I had to coax her to bark at one of them and the other I wanted to let her decide to bark on her own, but it was like she gave up and just left the tree (we saw a squirrel in it).

I think I need to let her figure it out more on her own...what do yall think???

I don't want her to depend on me to help her....

One more thing....after we shoot a squirrel she will not leave it alone and go hunt for more....she obsesses over the dead one. I want to beat her sometimes ~X( . After the first kill she won't range out as far...what the heck???

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:38 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Chris, do you ever get the opportunity to hunt with people who have experienced squirrel dogs? That's how the hog dogs learn to roll out again, watching the old dogs do it and realizing there is more fun to be had. Some dogs still stick around the bay longer than others, but it's the only way I can think of to get her to keep rolling.

Though how much of a celebration is it when the squirrel gets shot down? If it is too much fun, more fun than actually treeing the squirrel, maybe she'd rather stick around than get back to work.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 am 

Julie N wrote:
Chris, do you ever get the opportunity to hunt with people who have experienced squirrel dogs? That's how the hog dogs learn to roll out again, watching the old dogs do it and realizing there is more fun to be had. Some dogs still stick around the bay longer than others, but it's the only way I can think of to get her to keep rolling.

Though how much of a celebration is it when the squirrel gets shot down? If it is too much fun, more fun than actually treeing the squirrel, maybe she'd rather stick around than get back to work.

We haven't had that opportunity yet. If it doesn't rain, I am gonna try to get out with an guy this weekend and let her go on a night coon hunt with his 2 hounds!

One old timer told me yesterday that the more fur you put out to them, the less thewy will stick around. Now if she will just start barking while treed! I'm not going to give up on her just yet...

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:52 pm 

Chris something that has always worked for us to get the younger dogs to start treeing is, when you get to the tree and are sure there is something in it start making all sorts of different high piched and exciting sounds. Yeah its a little embarrassing when someone walks up behind you but it does work. Just something to try and I hope you do good on the coon hunt!

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:12 pm 

I think Julie and Cory are right on with those suggestions. :)

I've never hunted squirrels, but I know my young hog dogs will want to stick around after a hog is stuck. You kinda have to make the kill a quick little praise-and-go affair. After we kill one, we usually just sick the dogs up again and keep moving. We try to praise young pups as much as possible for baying when we get there, but never make it a break time or anything like that. They all get the most praise after we load up for the night and they get their food.

I make lots of noise when I'm training my pups, too. I talk to them the whole time in a ridiculously annoying voice and it keeps them interested and working. My favorite thing to say is "wee-get-em-up piggies!!!". lol. I met a guy at a bay one time who bayed with his dog in a weird rhythmic beat that the dog understood. It was really neat because he would go faster when the dog backed off and the dog understood that it meant he better get back in there. That probably sounds funnier than talking to your dogs in the woods, though. :))

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working