Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Make-Up Hunt in McCoy
 Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:42 am 

My dad got me upset by not letting me go to Bremond this morning, so he said we'd go hunting instead. We were already packed and everything so I grabbed some catchdogs and we got to a little place in McCoy around seven thirty. After about twenty minutes of hiking through the brush and destroying my truck's paint, Ox got on a group and we quickly had a good-sized sow bayed. I'm not sure what happened, but they broke after about two minutes and were off again. Shorty after they bayed again and I cut Karma and Moonie loose, which was not a good idea because they broke yet again! lol. After running around in the tunnel brush chasing the catchdogs for a while, I decided to get out to the main road. Soon ad I was out, I had to head back in again becuase they bayed up again in a small clearing and the pit bulls finally caught. Thinking it was that big sow, we high-tailed it back to them.... only to find out that it was a tiny 60lb boar! :)) That's my luck, though. lol. Maybe it's Karma getting back at us for not making it to Bremond like I said I would?

Also, it was light enough today to take some pictures, but I forgot about my camera until we got to the stock tank:

Not a bad hunt though, no body got hurt and we were done at nine, right before it started getting warm. Short and sweet, I guess.... Though, I'm still mad that my dad changed his mind at the last minute. :(

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I told you you could get 10 NLGDA Lacys in the box!

Jerryg

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Just want to put this out there, I have another box like the one in your truck, I had my catch dog tied exactly like you have yours. The nucklehead Lacy and Blackmouth in the box got it on with the bull dog while we were driving to the ranch. The bulldog could not get away. When we stopped to open the gate, you would have thought there was a war in the back of the truck..blood everywhere. I learned a lesson that day.

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:27 pm 

Very nice, Rachel.

Size isn't everything, big is just a bonus. Success is success, no matter the size.

How is Ox working out for you these days?

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:30 pm 

The box is working great, thanks again, Jerry G. :) Thanks for the warning, too. I know idiot Moonpie and Ox will get growly if there's a pig on the truck, but I've never had it escalate into a fight. (Knock on wood.)

Ox is doing fine. The guy who sold him to us did tell us the he had been barking on track and he's done that only a few times with us. He does it when the bay breaks or when he comes up on a group, I think. It's no big deal for me, I probably make more noise driving that bouncy truck than he does. I really like to run him because he always so high-energy and he is all over the place, ninety-miles a minute! lol. Even if you don't see a hog all night, he's entertaining. He's been striking as often as Levi and Chula, and he stops them pretty fast, too, which is great in that ugly south-Texas tunnel brush. I'm sure we could have had a few more piggies that morning, but it was looking like it was gonna be hot pretty soon and we started later than I like to.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good deal Racheal. I will be the first to tell you that if it can run I count it. Anyway you got me beat for the weekend. I went with an older guy that I have hunted with a few times because all the inlaws were going to a cattle auction.

Anyway all we ended up catching was about a 20 lb shoat.

Congrats D.J.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working