Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: I Want My Puppy To Track
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:08 pm 

I am wanting to teach my new Lacy to retrieve birds and track wounded game. It is relatively easy to find info for retrieving, but I am having difficulty getting info for teaching tracking. I am willing to do whatever it takes to teach her to track. Any help here would be great. When to start, how to start, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks,

Justin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Justin, There is a book is is called "tracking dogs for wounded deer" by John Jeanneney. It is about the only book out there for blood trailing that I know of. I do not agree with all of it but it is a good starting point. The most important thing is see what works for you and your pup. We have several good blood trailers on the forum, maybe they will wiegh in and give you some better advice. First I would start her with a simple liver drag with small chunks in the trail. Once she has shown she is following the drag start breaking the drag up and keep graduating up to blood and longer and older trails. Thats it in a nut shell, but get the book and get out and have fun with her. As for retrieving, most lacys will not "retrive" as would a bird dog. I do take mine with me bird hunting, but I still do most of the bird doggin. They do help me find the hard ones. Good luck and welcome :D

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Justin,

Go to United Blood Trackers website and order the book that they have- 'Tracking Dogs for Tracking Wounded Deer'. It is a good book to read and reread.

I was hoping that someone besides me would answer your question, but, they havent. So, you got me.

You can take a piece of liver and tie a string around it and pull it for a few feet. Put a small piece of the liver at the end for her to find and eat. Let it set for a short period of time, a few minutes, then put Rosie on it. Tell her to 'find it' or whatever you want, but tell her something along that line. And let her go. Repeat this time after time, making the drag longer and longer. When she has that down, then get a mustard bottle, or something along that line and put some deer blood in it. Put a little blood out at first, then sprinkle it along however you want. You will want to eventually put turns in it. But, keep it simple for her at first. You can put a bit of meat at the end, or if you have an old hide, put it at the end of the trail. Praise her a lot, every time she finds the end of the trail. She will probably need little training, but it is good for her and for you to train and train a lot. The more you do, the better she will be.

I know that there are many older posts on the forum here about blood tracking, so do some looking and see what you can find. Look under 'training' and 'work' and you should find lots of info. We have some great trackers on the forum, so maybe they will jump in and help out.

Betty

ps, Rob posted at the same time as me- agree with him 100%

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 pm 

Thanks for the responses so far, I hope more will share. I already have that book on order, I saw that on previous posts and ordered right away...Is now the time to start or do I need to wait until she is learned the basics better?Does she need to be older?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 am 

Call me, Keven--830-570-5041

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:38 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

All the above information is great, I like to do one step prior to getting them on mock trails. As young pups, I will get small pieces of meat or dog food soaked in blood and introduce the treats to the pup. Next, and only at dark, I go out with them in my back yard and throw the treats on the ground, one by one. I always use the same command..in my case "hunt em up"...May be crazy, but I like them to rely on their nose and not their eyesight at this sage. It also gets them associated with the smell blood and a treat....which, at the end of the track, is their prize.

1. Make it a fun game to the pup
2. use high pitch voice when praising the pup...ex. oooooo gooood booooyyyyy...weeeeee
3. positive reinforcement
4. dont over do it...its a game to the pup

Good luck and some folks have offered phone numbers to discuss bloodtracking ..take them up on it, great resourses!

Jerryg

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:56 am 

Justin, good talking to you, and good luck. Jerry is the fellow I was telling you about, he has some great advise.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:56 am 

Thanks to all you who have given input. If anyone else has advice, bring it on!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:10 pm 

So I turned Rosie on about a 15' liver drag with bits along the way and nice piece of liver at the end. She pretty much hit the beginning of the trail and licked in one spot. I walked her on the leash back and forth across the trail and she managed to find the bits. She received much praise. She didn't really follow the trail, but I didn't want to force it. How'd I do?

Thanks,

Justin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like a pup, dont expect to much at first. You have to remember she is young and every smell is going to be new and intersesting. Alot of people say start them from day one, and I dont disagree, but I dont agree either. If you cant control the dog and it turns into a fight because she wont do what you want nothing will ever improve. It more important right now that you praise her and make it FUN! You will see the click when she starts to do it to please you and return the favor.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 am 

Keep doing what you did. She will "click" to the smell and that it leads to a nice treat, until she links THAT smell with the reward she may or may not follow the line.

Keep it up and keep it fun.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:32 pm 

Thanks bos.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working