Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: this mornings track
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I got a call last night from a friend saying he had stuck a deer. He was going to give it till dark and if he couldnt find it easy we were going to take the dogs out first thing in the morning. He said he hit it high and the arrow stuck, did not pass through, but felt like he got some lung. Well, we got out just before sun up and Ben had a hard time finding the first sign of blood. We could see where the deer ran through a thicket and expected to find the arrow broke off. Ben still hadnt found any blood so I went back to the truck and grabbed Colt. Colt went strait up the trail and found some blood. Once we had found some blood Ben took off on track. We trailed the deer for around a mile before we lost it. We never did find much more than a small drop every 50 yards or so. I finally cut both dogs loose thinking they would find it laid up in the next thicket or tree. We went on for another 500 yards or so and stumbled across a rock with some blood. By this time the dogs has lost intrest and werent working very hard and we were about to give up. We headed back to the truck and the dogs hit on something on the way back, I went to check it out and saw nothing. The whole track was about 2 miles, we never found the arrow or where the deer laid up. I was VERY proud of my pups even if we didnt find the deer. On the way home the hunter called and said he had blood where the dogs had hit on the way to the truck. It was one of the hardest and oldest trails we have worked. Ben did great for being rusty and Colt did good for his frist time

Post subject: Re: this mornings track
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:53 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Teamwork! Sounds like they gave it a good shot!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeah, Im pretty sure he "shish kabobed" it. I think the only way we were to find it was to get there that night and maybe the dogs could have taken it down. I have tracked for him before and can trust his word on the shot, but thinking about how much blood we found I am pretty sure it was not a fatal shot.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:32 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like the tracks that Lucy and I get. Even tho you really want to find the deer, when the dogs track a tiny spot of blood yards apart, it makes you really proud of them.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Great work !! You can't find them all but sounds like they put in a good effort !!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good news! My hunter called me Sat. morning and said he got a second chance at his deer. This time he hit it good and would call me if he needed me. A little bit later he called me back and said Ben and Colt were not needed, he hit it right in the "pumphouse". It makes me feel better about not finding it the week before.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working