Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Good Week for Baylee!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:50 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Aaron's dog Baylee tracked two deer this week; one Tuesday and one yesterday.

He said I could post the stories and pictures:

Nicky's deer was shot right at dark and was only about a 300 yard track but it was in one of the worst thickets it could have been in. He probably would have found the deer the next day, but coyotes would have found him first.

Last night Jeff shot the deer right before dark around 6 p.m. I was real unsure about the track cause Jeff said there was no blood and had no idea where he shot him, but felt like he was hit. I turned Baylee lose about 7:45. She made a big loop and finally got lined out on the trail.

We were following her trail on the Garmin and finally found blood from where he laid down about 300 yards in. She was tracking good and seemed like she was really had him lined out. We started seeing a little more blood and I figured she was about to find him. Then the blood stopped and she seemed like she lost the track, she would go out one way a couple hundred yards and come back and go out in another direction (I think she was getting messed up the all the other deer trails, and the pack of neighbor's dogs that kept barking at us).

Finally she started heading out towards the bottom and acting like she had him lined out. She was out a few hundred yards and I herd a deer blow and then she started baying.

Sorry for the tailgate pics we didn't have enough light in the field on either deer.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 am 

Good job. :-BD :-BD

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:39 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Oops! I left off the end of the story! Here it is:

Quote:
Jeff shined the light and we saw several sets of eyes so I figured she got off on some other deer that were bedded down in the bottom, I called her out and we went back to the last blood we found and started over. Well she worked her way back to where she was baying before and I heard a deer blow again and then looking according to the Garmin, Baylee was cutting out across the bottom (in chest high brush and grass) and then she started circling up about 600 yds out. Then she started really baying hard. We went to her and she had the buck bayed up, out in an opening. He expired shortly after. The deer had been shot in one a front leg. According to the Garmin she tracked the deer 3.92 miles with the deer making several cut backs and loops. This is by far Baylee's longest and hardest successful track. After looking back, I am sure she was barking at the buck the first time when I called her out, thinking she was on different deer. Lesson learned, I will trust her next time.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Great story!! Good job, Baylee!! Nearly 4 mile track- thats just wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 pm 

Good job to the both of you!!! Impressive track, sure makes a hunter happy when you catch one.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:21 pm 

Very impressive! Great work.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working