Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Snoops first hog hunt!
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 pm 

Snoop is 9 months old and I took him on his first real hunt this past Sunday and he did great. I had exposed him to hogs in a pen and took him on a few other hunts before, but only let him ride the wheeler and so he could get used to other dogs and smell the dead hogs.

The area was big, so we split up. The other guys bayed one up and by the time we got to them the pig had been stuck. Snoop when right up to the dying boar and barked his butt off and put teeth on the boars ears and neck

On the next bay, I rode the 4 wheeler as close as possible then ran through the woods.
When I got to the bay, my two cur dogs were latched on to each ear of a big fat sow and snoop was in her face barking his butt off.
When we rolled out again, he was up front with the main strike dogs, when they took off on the next trail he was on their heels. There was a big group of hogs with at least one HUGE boar. The dogs took off after a runner and we lost the gps signal. The dogs were lost for a while and we found most of them a mile from where we started. Snoop and one of my other dogs must have turned back at some point cuz they were at the trucks waiting for us!
We lost 3 dogs and didnt find the main strike dog for another 3 hours. I just found my other pup today. She was laying on my shirt that I had left on the ground. She lost ALOT of weight she must have been running the entire time trying to find her way back.

Over all Snoop did great, and when he finally gave up the chase he was able to sniff his way back to the truck quickly.
My cur that got lost is either going to be great because she stayed on the hog the longest and ran until she got lost, or she was too dumb to find her way back to us. I will soon find out. We are going again on Friday morning, so hopefully I will have some pics of Snoop on a hog. I have now ordered a gps of my own and collars for my dogs. Snoop was the only one of my dogs with a borrowed collar during this last hunt
later

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds fun! Glad you got out in the woods! Gets kinda slow around deer season.....guess everone else is giving the hogs a break to fatten up on deer corn! Post some pics if you get the chance.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:06 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good story!! Glad that you posted it! Sounds like Snoop got it all figured out!

I have heard about leaving a piece of clothing out for a lost dog. Sounds like it works!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks for the story, Sabino! We're proud of Snoop! His sister Pearl hasn't been on a real hunt yet...DJ is counting down the days until deer season is over!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like Snoop is going to do very well for you!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:48 pm 

Is Pearl the smallest female or did yall keep the bigger one?
I was wondering if I should wait until he is a little older. He was having to work harder to keep up with the older dogs, so on the long fast stretches I would pick him up and let him ride the 4 wheeler.
As far as safety, im counting on the fact that he should not be the first dog to the hog and will not get hurt.
Does DJ use vest on the lacys?
He is almost 50 pounds how big is pearl

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:03 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yes, Pearl was the smallest female. If you're comfortable with taking him, I think it's fine. DJ's just not hunting at all right now because all of their places have deer hunters right now. We haven't weighed her in a while, but I think Pearl's only around 30 lbs. She's our smallest dog.

We used a vest on Aggie when she first started hunting, but we don't anymore. My brother used one on his dog because she was pretty gritty, and she got hung up crossing a creek and drowned. The bulldogs wear vests, but the Lacys just wear cut collars.

Send me a pic of Snoop, please. I'm curious to see what he looks like now!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm 

Sounds like fun, I'm jealous, haha. And we don't put vests on the Lacys either, just a good cut collar.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working