Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:05 pm 

My lacy is getting some aggression issues. My main job for her was to be tracking wounded deer. However, I don't feel she's having her prey drive satisfied enough. I exercise her daily and gets all kinds of socialization, but is still showing aggression...especially towards children. I'm thinking that maybe chasing some hogs will help. I am looking for anyone willing to help me get my dog with some hogs regularly.

Thanks,

Last edited by jtslush on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Are you laying lots of practice tracks for her? You're right that only blood tracking isn't enough for some Lacys.

How old is she? This might be a fun day for her: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2159

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:59 pm 

I put down lines about once a week. She is 6 months old.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I would make sure to get her around some kids and work with her on her socialization. Put her in situations and make sure she knows its NOT ok to act that way with children. I think she is still young enough to curve this behavior. I would also talk to "Camo" on the forum and see if he has any ideas of one getting her in the ring. He is around your area and my have some contacts.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm 

Thanks,

I talked to Camo today, looks like I have something working on that end. Still working on socializing as well, just seems like no progress. Even just tonight she got snippy with my 3 yo son who was just sitting watching tv. I let her know that's not gonna work, but I don't know that she's getting it.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:06 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I hope that you get things worked out with her. I know that these dogs can be a hand full, especially when they are young. If you stay with it, she will work out, you just have to stay in the drivers seat, work her and let her know that she IS NOT the one in charge.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:12 pm 

So I was thinking hogs...but seems working hogs would not be as readily available as cattle. Anyone got any help there?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Seems like Julie found some info sometime back about working cattle. Maybe was that in Phoenix, I cant remember. Look back on some of the old posts that Julie posted and see if you can find anything. Other than that, I'm sorry, I just don't know. I have cows, but I live 3 1/2 hours from you.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Justin we are practicing this weekend , I sent you a e-mail lets take and see what she will do with some hogs !!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Definitely take Camo up on his very generous offer.

Cattle may seem more readily available, but the opportunity to work your own dog on them is not, unless you own cattle of course. I spent a lot of time trying to locate a convenient place to work Sadie on cows near Austin, but pretty much everything I found for training was sheep, which definitely isn't what you want in this situation! Working cows really isn't a social thing, ranchers take care of it themselves and there aren't a ton of opportunities for outsiders to jump in and do it. Hog dogging is much more social, both in the pen and the woods. It is relatively easy for them to let one more dog in the pen or take one more dog on a hunt. And there are several bays and tons of hunters within a few hours of Austin.

Just remember that it is a privilege to get invited out. If you are going to practice at a bay pen, offer to pick up corn for the hogs and drinks for the people. If you are going on a hunt, offer to bring drinks or whatever else they need. And always follow their advice for the safety or you and your dog. Hog dogging is no joke, but it can be a lot of fun!

As far as the aggression issues, especially with a 3-year-old in the house, NIP THIS IN THE BUD NOW! That is almost the exact same age Sadie started having problem, and by 8 months it had escalated to attacking other dogs and biting humans. Socialization is very important, but we did that in spades and it was not enough for her.

More work is a good place to start. Mock trails once a week aren't enough to satisfy a driven dog like that, but you don't want to burn her out on that either. I think baying is a good idea, but it is easier to prevent behaviors from popping up than to stop them once they've become a habit. I would recommend getting in touch with Lamar Smith, the behaviorist and trainer who helped me, since he's so close to you. 409-293-8426 or chuck.dogman@yahoo.com. Unfortunately he might not be taking clients at the moment, but he should be able to put you in the right direction.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Julie Justin is going to start working the dog in the pen this weekend it looks like !! I have several pigglets to get her started on . So if he can get off work we will get started !! I am going to try and help him with the Aggression issue as well he lives very close to me so we will discuss a plan for her to get her socialized a little better !!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:26 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thats great!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Justin was not able to make it this weekend so I guess we will have to try again at some point !!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well I got to meet Rosie this weekend and was able to work with her a little bit . She is a good looking little red lacy .We worked her a little on a small pigglet she was not intrested much but was able to get her going when we dropped Sammy in there with here . She started baying Sammy instead of the pig . We let her rest a while and put her back in again and made the pigglet get after her some she started baying . She got to be around a lot of people and dogs and pigs and kids . It was really good for her I hope Justin gets a chance to post some pictures !

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 am 

Thanks Julie,

And thanks to Camo, Rosie and I had a great time. Looking forward to another chance to go.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working