Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Re: deer tracking
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Steve may call it cheating, but I want to put my dogs in a situation where they are going to succeed. I ask questions and if I think the hunters messed up the area by contamination or that they ran their pet on the track I wont take it.

I've started being more selective this year. Last year I took everything just to get Luna some exposure. But I agree with you...I would rather work them in ideal conditions less often than bad conditions all the time.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:33 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Court, I've heard 50% is pretty high, especially for someone that is picking up random jobs for training purposes. But I saw that thread on TBH and immediately starting shaking my head... pushing the deer hard, tramping all over the trail, putting a bunch of untrained house dogs down... how the heck are your trained dogs supposed to work under those conditions? And it sounds like the deer was alive anyway. If I were you, I wouldn't count that one against your dogs!

Maybe we should put together a list of the top things a hunter should do to assist in a successful recovery with dogs. Then post it on the blog and make everyone on TBH read it /:)

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

I think a lot of archery deer go unrecovered simply because a high percentage of deer wounded with a bow survive. Like Jerry, we've been very successful at finding deer shot in the gut and leg but deer shot in muscle or brisket never get recovered. Unfortunately, muscle can bleed like crazy, tricking someone into believing it was a fatal hit.

I think a blog on tips for blood trackers is a great idea. There are a lot of conditions that a tracker should consider before putting dogs on a trail. The most annoying thing is when you and your dog hit the trail and the hunter follows you with several of his deer lease buddies. When Luna was a puppy I put her on the trail of a gut shot deer. Before I knew it, there were 5 people scattered in the woods helping the hunter look for sign...while the dog was working! Talk about a distraction! Luna ended up finding the deer but it was still alive and very mobile. The deer went unrecovered but the dog did her job.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:01 pm 

jerryg wrote:
Steve may call it cheating, but I want to put my dogs in a situation where they are going to succeed.

Hey, don't put words in my mouth :)

I do feel that SOME trackers are TOO selective but I also know how a hunter will lie through their teeth to get you out there....... Absolutely try to best your odds but only taking gimmies won't do the dog justice either.

I know where you are coming from though and your right, I don't normally give my dog the gimmies (ie: suicide hogs) but maybe I should.....

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

maybe I should have posted "Steve called it almost cheating", Some of these guys are not that selective, they have some great blood tracking dogs, some of the best i have seen. But, they are not willing to waste their time or their dog running a track for 2 hours when the odds are against them, heck they are always against you. These guys,myself included would rather go run a track where the hunter knew it was a bad hit and backed out. That deer will most probably be within 100 yards. Go in finish him off and take another track.

Most hunters think that a dog should be 100 % but that is not the case. Many factors come into play. Weather, wind, dry conditions, soil type, ..then their are the elements, snakes, getting gored by a buck...just part of the game but if the odds are agains me I am not going.
Court,
I was cringing when I read the post on TBH, I was hoping you would not even show up for that track.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

On another note, as far as archery shot deer they are the hardest to track for a dog...period. Layers of skin and flesh open and closing leaving a minimul blood trail or scent. If your dog is finding these deer, she is doing good. The more archery deer you take, the more unsuccesfull tracks you will have. There are guys out there who will not take any archery shot deer.
Some things I do,,,,gut shot deer or liver shot deer I tend to take my time since they will bed and fever up...(that is assuming the hunter didnt jump it)

Leg shot or ham shot deer with bone we take up asap..they will bed and will be easy to catch if not jumped. Deer shot in the front leg will lay and are easier to catch than deer shot in the back leg. these suckers can run and swim forever...ask Andy about the buck Digger caught in a lake.

Then again alot of archery shot deer will survive because there were not vitals hit...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Weather conditions and time really hurt us on the TBH track. By the time we arrived, the trail was 14 hours old. The air was dry with a stiff north wind blowing. I put Luna on the track and she took off. When she reached what was basically the end of the visible blood trail she started making circles and sweeps from my far left to my far right with her nose to the ground. I could tell she was looking for scent but she couldn't seem to find it. She swept back and forth for a long time and finally came back to me, sat down, and gave me that confused look. I walked them downwind for a bit to see if they could pick anything up but I don't think they did.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working