Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: New to hog doggin
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

I received this email yesterday and thought I thought it would be a great question to post on the board since we have so many hog hunters here willing to share their experiences and advice.

Quote:
My name is Ryan and I just got into my own dogs and hog hunting. I have always gone with my buddies but just started getting my own dogs gathered up.

I have seen several Lacy dogs and I really have been wanting one. I would like to have a young puppy but not opposed to a dog that is a little older that doesn’t know anything about hogs yet.

I would like to have a finished Lacy hog strike dog, but I am pretty sure I cannot afford it so I will have to put the work into it myself. Anything you can do would be great.

Post subject: Re: New to hog doggin
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:47 pm 

Reckon how old this guy is Courtney ? Sounds like a young man with a lot of passion for the sport.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:06 pm 

hey. i am 34 started a little late, but i really like it and i really like the looks and the temperment of the lacy dogs that i have been around. the few i have been around get out and hunt and are very gretty. not a whole lot of them in the part of texas i live in (decatur) up north here. most of the ones i have found or heard of are down in central or south texas. anything you can let me know about them or where you may know some good ones are would be greatley appreciated.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:37 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome, Ryan. I hope that some hog doggers will be posting up here to help you. They check in once in a while.

Your best bet on getting a lacy for hogs is to start your own pup. Started lacy dogs, for any work, are hard to come by. They do come up occasionally, but they are snatched up pretty quick. Keep an eye on our forum for rescue and rehomed lacys. Also, the forum for the east Texas hog hunters would be good: http://www.easttexashogdoggers.com/forum/ Just always be sure to check out any dog that needs to be rehomed and the person that you are getting it from.

Good luck and we're glad that you are here.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 pm 

LOL Ryan, I like to think of that as a young man makes me seem a few years closer to young myself. Welcome to the forum. Maybe some one here can help ya out.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:50 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome Ryan! Always good to see new hog doggers around.

Betty is right, it's hard to come by truly proven adult hog dogs. The good ones will get snapped up real quick. Of course you might get lucky, and maybe some of our hunters will pop in with some leads. I think all of them are currently located in Central, East or South Texas, but they do a lot of traveling.

Just remember there are plenty of dogs, of all breeds, that don't make the grade and just get passed around. If are looking at an adult dog, I'd definitely recommend going on hunt to see them in action.

I'm not sure who has litters planned for the near future, but that's a good option too. Just do the same due diligence as you would buying an adult dog, but apply those standards to the parents.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 am 

thanks everyone for the help. i will sure let ya'll know what i come up with.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working