Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:41 pm 

I have done quite a bit of research and believe a Lacy dogs is what I'm looking for. I ran hounds for years on coon, cats, mt lion and bear. I have border collie and Mcnabs for working cattle and a totally different dog for trapline, coyote hunting. I guess what I would like a couple of dogs to do all of above... I'm not looking for frisbie dogs, I need dogs that can cold trail, bite and tree. If you know of a breeder near me I would appreciate it.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:20 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I dont know of any lacy breeders any where close to Utah. Contact Courtney Farris at lacydogregistry@gmail.com and she can help you. Right now she is at a ranch that has limited access to phones and computers, but she will get back with you.

Good luck with your search. Be careful and work at finding the right lacy. I dont doubt that the breed can fill your need, but you have to get the right dog from the right breeder, so you may have to wait a while. There are a ton of breeders out there that their dogs have never barked at a cow or varmint. This is a wonderful breed and tho there are less of us that work our dogs, those of us that do, love the breed. My dogs are typical ranch dogs who will work the cattle, chase varmints all day long, will track most anything and lay here on the couch with me. My dogs have never seen a coyote or a bobcat, but their are many lacys that handle the critters everyday.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:37 pm 

I'm willing to wait. I bred and raised hounds for over 25 years. I know there are good ones and culls in every breed. I'll hold out for a dog out of proven working parents. I know that still doesn't guarantee anything, but the odds are better. I'm not looking to start or get involved in a pissing match between breeders or groups. I just want to find a couple of dogs that can work cows, decoy coyotes and if I cut a hot bobcat or lion track, can put it in a tree.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:59 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I'm sorry, I had no intention of insulting your intelligence or your experience. I was only trying to be friendly and helpful. I didnt intend to get you caught up in anything crap or anything like that. In the email that I sent you, I gave you names and contacts of people that I thought could help you in getting to know this breed.

In my years of being around this breed, I have seen people come and go. Mostly they go because they believe that every lacy is like the breed is depicted on the internet. Unfortunately, the breed has been washed out some and you have to know what you are dealing with, who you are dealing with and then, you still need some luck to get the dog that you hoped for. I was only trying to prevent you from spending a lot of money on a couple of dogs that would not do what you wanted it to and because I am always around, I know that this happens. Even the best dog man cannot make a dog have the prey drive that it would need to take on a big cat. Not telling you anything that you evidently dont know, just talking here.

I hope that you will contact the people that I gave you info on. They all know about the breed. Michael is a very experience coyote trapper and hunter. Chad and Cory have actually used the dogs on cats out in NV and AZ. Cynthia is knowledgeable with the TLGDA and since they are having some website problems right now, she can help because she is active there. Giving you info on the other 2 groups was merely giving you a heads up because I care about this breed. And, I care that when people post for help, whether it is with a dog that is sick, or a man looking for his first lacy, I try to help. I cant stand for someone to ask for help and their request go unanswered. So, that is why I answered you and tried to help.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 am 

Betty, Im sorry if I sounded passed. You have been very nice and helpful I didn't mean to come off as ungrateful. Thank you

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

No problem!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working