Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Calendar & Classifieds » Meetings & Events

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hey Rachael I went to Sulphur Springs Sat. It was fun they had good hogs . I met a lot of nice people , I also met a few that were not big fans of lacys and did not mind shareing that with me. They said that Lacys had no place in a bay pen and should stay on the ranch and herd cows and tree Squirrels. They said it was a waste of time for me to even be there that a Lacy could never win one of these small events and no chance to even place at a big event and thats why no one uses them for bay pens. What ever some people like to talk. His dogs did not place either . The folks that were nice said my dogs did very well for as little as I get to work them. One guy was very impressed with my Little 6 month old female Sammy. He wanted me to run her with his cur in the old dog young dog so she could get more time in the pen . She did ok but not as good as she did with my male Patch she is use to being in with him. He said he will be at Bremond next Sat. and we are going to run them together again. Mike B. gave me some good advise today to put them together in a kennel for a while be for we run them.He said It will help her get use to that dog and may help her work with him better. I do intend to just keep going to the all the events and just let them get better. I do not have any where else to work them so thats all I can do.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 pm 

I think that you will find that attitude dominant in the hog dog world, John. I couldn't even begin to describe to you the great progress that has been made in only the 5 years. When I started this, it was so bad that people who had a Lacy in their pack wouldn't mention it publicly, and people who hunted all Lacy dogs would not admit it.... except me and one other guy. Over the years, I learned how lucky Mike and I were to have a couple of (2) outstanding dogs which is what made us so determined to benefit the breed.

You will find that the attitude about Lacy dogs is much better in South Texas and our area than it is anywhere east of here.

The only thing that I have left to add is that the folks who claim a Lacy dog could never compete, much less win, obviously never been to Pearsal to see Roger's Diana dog bay. And either they were not there or have forgotten about getting their asses kicked by Diana and Travis Bonnets True Hand Luke in the open class of the Hill Country Bay Competition.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:16 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

:-L I really hate to hear that someone was so rude. I understand that hog doggers have been burned by Lacys, spending hundreds of dollars on puppies that couldn't make the grade. But that is really a breeder issue, not a breed issue, yet it's tarnished the Lacy name. The reason you don't see Lacys winning bays is primarily a numbers game. No one has taken the time to prove them and then foster a line geared towards bay pen success. But they certainly have the potential to win if that's your goal. Steve mentioned two good ones in his post. Sadie's dad, John Wayne, won several Puppy and One Dog events. And Lacys will see more success if we make a point to compete in open bays and never settle for mediocrity. So I'll get off my soap box because I know I'm preaching to the choir :ymblushing:

I can't wait to see Sammy bay in person, she looked awesome in the pictures Mis posted. And kudos for running her with other dogs in different environments. It's great she's developed chemistry with Patch, there's nothing wrong with having a strong pair like that, but having her work with other dogs will help her become more independent. All you have to do is think of Sadie to know you're on the right track ;)

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks Steve and Julie I have no intention of backing off . When I went to Mike for help it was with one goal in mind and that has not changed. I want my dogs to do well in the pen . I know you will find rude people every where you go but thats fine. I met way more great folks there,That had good things to say so I always try to focus on the good in people and forget the others that is there problem. So I will continue to go to as many bays as I can and stick my dogs in anyones bay pen that will let me to get my dogs practice. That is why I drove 9 hr on Saturday To Sulpur Springs. Thats why I will be at Bremond this Saturday. Thanks again you guys are the best.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:42 pm 

dang I wish I was closer, I love to prove people wrong~ I had fun at the bremond bay! These AZ lacys dont know what a hog is but I would put money down that they will bay...lol

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Board index » Calendar & Classifieds » Meetings & Events