Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Lacy History

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

H.C. Wilkes was a huge proponent of the Lacy breed during the 80s and 90s. In these articles about Wilkes and his adopted grandson Steve Kimbrell, it is clear their family had a great impact on the breed. If you trace your Lacy's pedigree far enough back, the odds are high that they have Wilkes blood in them.

We're aware that there is some Lacy lore in these modern articles that contradicts the older historical documents. We agree with professional historians and journalists that documents closest to the subject and corroborated by unrelated people are the most accurate source of information. We also know that some proposed facts are highly unlikely. For example, not only does family history document that the Lacys had a pet wolf, coyotes did not exist in the Texas Hill Country during the mid 1800s and could not have been used in the original mix. But we're posting these articles from the early 1990s to highlight such discrepancies.

We hope that public provision of all available information will help Lacy fanciers come to an educated conclusion regarding the breed's history. Plus, Wilkes was a great story teller who did a lot for these dogs, his tales are very entertaining!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:15 pm 

Thought Texas always had a coyote problem?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:47 pm 

TedH71 wrote:
Thought Texas always had a coyote problem?

Based on what we know about Texas during our lifetimes you would assume that to be correct, wouldnt you?

If you do some research, you will find several several sources, mostly wildlife societies, chronicling the demise of the wolf and the rise of the coyote in TX. According to these VERY well referenced documents, these events took place concurrently. The coyote first showed up in Texas during the early to mid 1890s and that the wolf was all but extinct in Texas by the 1910s. From what I have seen, most attribute this role reversal to the settling of the TX countryside making traditional Wolf country an ecosystem more suited to the coyote and its prey.

If the Coyote didn't show up in TX till the 1890s, Frank Lacy had a pet Wolf in the 1850s as is documented, and the original Lacy Dog breeding began in 1857.............

Well, Id bet that anyone not privy to the wildlife society's chronicles would have assumed the wolf claim a mistake. Assuming a coyote because of there current prevalence isn't a far leap either. Of course the last two sentences are pure conjecture but with the relevant documentation, available research and well referenced sources currently available, I know what I believe.

I also know that I hope DNA will someday put the last nail in this coffin!

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:38 pm 

Ted. I lived in Marble Falls Tx. for over 40yrs. The first documented coyote kill in that area was in 1961. You can check with Texas Parks & Wilfe on that.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:32 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good reading, I wonder if Mr Kimbrell is still alive? Sounds like he might be someone we need to talk with.

Kevin

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Board index » General » Lacy History