Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Lacy History

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 pm 

The first registry to recognize the Lacy as an official breed was the Animal Research Foundation. An amateur genealogist with a great love for cow dogs, Tom Stodghill started the ARF in 1951 to register working English Shepherds and Catahoulas. He registered the first Lacy 1976, Preston's Big Blue born in 1971 of Preston's Old Blue and Preston's Ellie.

This article includes the story of how the Lacy became recognized by ARF: http://www.animalresearchfoundation.com ... istory.htm. We've excerpted all the Lacy info below:

As a result of his work, it was not long afterwards that newspaper and magazine people were interested in interviewing [Tom Stodghill]. As their articles were published and read by farm and ranch people, they began to call and write Tom from all over the United States , and various parts of the world. To keep people connected to what he was doing, in the 1950’s he published the first “Animal Research Working Dog Magazine”. Later, it became known as “Stodghill’s ARF Cowdog Magazine”. This magazine was mailed to all fifty states, and several foreign countries.

In his magazine, he also featured other breeds of canines than the English Shepherd and Catahoula. He wrote about Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, Australian Cattledog Queensland Heelers, etc.; he reprinted letters he had received from various breeders, from his customers, and from those just seeking information. At the end of each letter, he closed with the following statement, “I am, very sincerely yours, Tom D. Stodghill.”

There is one thing I know for certain; we do live on a small planet after all. When you talk dogs, word can travel fast. Starting with “Cowboy” Williams, the Catahoula people gravitated to Tom very quickly. In that group of Catahoula owners was Mr. J. D. Whittington. Not only did Mr. Whittington own Catahoulas, he also knew people who owned Lacy Cowdogs. As good things are always waiting to be shared with others, someone, like Mr. Whittington or Mr. Williams, happened to tell Mr. Lee Preston about the ARF, or they handed him a back issue of our “ARF Magazine”, and explained that he could register his “Lacy Cowhogdogs” with our organization. No sooner had Mr. Preston learned about the ARF, than others, who owned the same breed, began to contact the Foundation - men such as Mr. H. C. Wilkes (from Marble Falls, Texas), Joe Bell (Buffalo, Texas), Wilson Chitwood (Terrell, Texas), Chester Wager (Lafayette, Louisiana), John McBryde (Hubbronville, Texas), Carl Wilson (Johnson City, Texas), Wylie Lee (Charlotte, Texas), Frank Perry (Throckmorton, Texas), and many, many others. All of the above-mentioned names competed in the Whittington’s Johnson City Cowdog Rodeo, and all were winners.

At the ARF Cowdog Rodeo, October 28, 1979 , Mr. Wilkes made history. Tom received a phone call from a Mr. John Haskins, Refugio, Texas, wanting “six best ARF-Registered Cowdogs that money could buy”. Tom told him, “Give me a little time, and I will fill your order.” [In 1979, a good working dog was priced at $600.00.] Mr. Haskins wanted the dogs brought to his 100,000-acre ranch to pen cattle. Tom knew Mr. J. D. Whittington, and that he had the dogs that could pen the roughest of cows. However, when Tom phoned Mr. Whittington, he said he did not want to sell his dogs, but to phone Mr. Wilkes, as he, too, had dogs that could pen the cows. As soon as Tom got off the phone with Mr. Whittington, he phoned Mr. Wilkes and told him who wanted the dogs, and explained he wanted him to bring his dogs to the 100,000-acre ranch and show Mr. Haskins the dogs could pen cows.

Mr. Wilkes told Mr. Haskins that he had lived on the Lacy Family Old Pioneer Home Place where the Lacy Cowdogs had been renown for more than 100 years. He was thrilled to show Mr. Haskins what his Texas Lacy Cowdogs could do. Mr. Wilkes’ dogs penned 80 to 90 Brahma-type cattle. Mr. Haskins paid him $3,600.00 for six Texas Lacy Cowdogs, and also $500.00 for a good-size Texas Lacy Cowdog pup. All were ARF Registered.

From the 1880’s to the 1940’s, there were only two recognized canine registries in America, the AKC and the UKC; if you did not have a breed of animal that was recognized by either club, you were left out in the cold. Also, there were no “clubs” available to help the rancher-stockman by providing a training school to improve stockdog breeding and training, until Mr. Stodghill organized the first field training school in 1953 … for the next 35 years, he held “Cowdog Trials” at Stodghill Ranch, Quinlan, Texas.

Web Site: http://www.nationallacydog.org
Blog: http://workinglacys.wordpress.com
Email: nlda@nationallacydog.org

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:34 pm 

We have also obtained the Animal Research Foundation's original breed description for the Lacy. This is the first known written standard used to register Lacy Dogs.

Web Site: http://www.nationallacydog.org
Blog: http://workinglacys.wordpress.com
Email: nlda@nationallacydog.org

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:39 pm 

It is so cool to see new info and history on the breed!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:07 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Interesting, not much of a discription.
The thing that got me abit was when a lacy and a catahoula were bred together the pups were registered as catahoulas. Thats troublesome!!!

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:24 pm 

Bluedog wrote:
Thats troublesome!!!

Why exactly?

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:08 pm 

Actually when you look at the ARF and the dogs it originally registered you see WORKING breeds with stress being put not on color, height, shape or weight but rather on working.

When dealing with Cur breeds (which the Lacy is) you often find back in the day other things added into the mix and depending on what the bitch was determined what the pups were called. This is in part what makes it totally laughable to believe there is a such thing as a pure bred Lacy consisting ONLY of the original three breeds used to create the breed.

The Lacy was bred for work purposes and there for in its beginning not a lot of importance was placed on "purity" as what people think of as being pure. They didn't measure the dogs but bred for a smaller size (height & weight) as that directly affects their ability to do their job.

Now if breeders were breeding this way today it would be troublesome (mixing in something else) However what went on 40 years and further back...thats is just how we got what we have today and is a testament or explanation as to why some lines are more superior than others.

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Considering that they were both classified as curs and the cross would maintain the working traits of the Catahoula, I think mixing Lacy in to Cat lines with health issues was the responsible thing to do. Why continue to breed in genetic faults merely for the sake of purity? I suppose you could question the ethics of registering such dogs, but I have a feeling the new blood was considered an asset, because a deaf or blind cow dog was worthless.

Besides, that was Cats. They make a point of saying the Lacy strain was kept pure. Not sure why we should be troubled by it.

But I do think there is a lesson there, and that is breeding for color will screw you over in the end. By preferring dogs with glass eyes and colorful coats, Catahoula breeders unwittingly fostered blindness and deafness in their dogs. The ARF points out that Lacys were extremely healthy, but it also lists four color varieties we no longer see today, namely solid black and black with tan trim. By breeding away from undiluted black to blue, it is possible that important genetic diversity was lost. Just as glass eyes are linked with deafness, blue coats are linked with alopecia. Now that our gene pool is down to dilute dogs, breeders need to become educated on coat color and genetics, because breeding for color will catch up with the Lacy just like it did with Catahoulas.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Steve,

I guess its troublesome to me because I personally do not believe the off spring should be registered as either. They are half cat and half lacy, nothing to register.

kevin

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 pm 

Kevin,
The thing you are neglecting to read is that at no point did they try to cover up what was being done (it's in black & white)..and again this is a working registry not a show registry where work ability was/is the emphasis.
Not to mention these were the practices of a later time not current practices.

You're worrying for no real reason. There are currently no Lacy Dogs being bred to Catahoula and then registered as anything.

The N.L.D.A. has made all historic information they obtain public and expect the readers to be educated enough to note what is relevant and put it all into perspective.

~Mis

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:46 pm 

Thats understandable...... In a perfect world. Too bad that we dont live in one. If all you care about is papers or if your breed is not plagued with disastrous genetic flaw, I see no issue with that attitude. But at the same time, I don't care about cats so it does not bother me either way. Also, Lacy was introduced into the cats to add genetic diversity and eliminate genetic flaw while retaining the cats traits. should the cat breed have been sacrificed rather than saved?

We would not have Cats today if it were not for dedicated breeders introducing genetics to preserve the breed. Do you consider all Cats to be worthless mutts because of that? Are they not bred to type? Can't you look at a cat and recognize it as a cat? Personally, I can watch a cat work and tell that it is a cat and because of that, I respect those who did what had to be done in order to preserve their breed.

Thankfully, we dont have to worry about that with Lacy Dogs......... YET!

Too bad that we dont live in a perfect world.

Steve

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Steve,

I understand why the breedings were done, it was stated in the article. I just do not believe half breeds should be registered. It wasnt in the article, but did the new owners know that the pups they were getting were not pure (maybe they didnt care).

I do not know at what age the offspring were bred, but if they waited till the second heat on gyps it would take about 10 years for the cat to get back to pure. Then I think it would have been more appropiate to register them then. Same outcome, genetic issues would have been taken care of.

kevin

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 pm 

In the name of accuracy, lets establish one other thing too. The way that it is stated is a bit simplistic. Im sure that the ARF, just like many other registries, registered outcrosses by %. Which means that a Lacy bred to a Cat was not actually registered as a cat immediately, it was registered as 50% cat, the progeny of which was bred only to pure cat and also registered by %. This continued until such time as progeny were less than 1/32 any other breed, pure by scientific standards, at which point the pups were reintroduced into the registered breeding population, sans genetic defect.

Thats the standard method of registering by % and diversifying genetics anyway.

Steve

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 pm 

Are you looking into getting a Catahoula? If so I can point you in the direction of a Cat forum & association. ;)

~Mis

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:16 pm 

We are stepping on each other in our concurrent replies but I believe that my latest answered your concern.

The assumption that outcrossed dogs were just registered as cats and given full rights and privileges is simply not accurate; nor would such be in the best interest of the breed. To preserve the breed through outcross and % registration takes a many generations, focus and dedication. Its not an over night thing nor is it a goal that can be accomplished without full disclosure.

Steve

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I agree with one exception, it can be done without full disclosure. Its not right but you know as well as I that there are folks who will do those kind of things.

I have even heard stories about our own Mr Wilkes breeding program, no evidence..just rumors but isnt that where the bigger lacys came to be?

Board index » General » Lacy History