Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Photo Gallery

Forum rules

All pictures and graphics remain property of the original creator. Do not use photos without permission from the copyright owner.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:03 pm 

Hello!
So... Basically, my dog, Luna, is supposed to be a pure bred lab. I don't think that's possible, as she is quite the odd one. I'm wondering if she could have some lacy in her.

She is 23" and 50 pounds. Too big for a lacy, but also too small for a lab. She's pretty muscular and has the compact, arched feet of a lacy dog and the light-but-sturdy look. Her fur is very soft, and her gait is more powerful than it is floaty and graceful. She's incredibly fast, though.

I didn't know how to put pictures on this site, but if you click on the link... There are some. Yep, haha. Sorry the pictures are kind of sucky.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104673783082906634824/January302012#5703609856082805554

Anyways, the pictures with her and the cat is what she does with EVERY cat, if it's outside (if they are inside she respectfully keeps her distance.) She will chase them down, knock them off their feet, and bark at them until I pick them up and take them inside. Occasionally she will mouth the scruff of their necks, and ONLY that area. She also does this with small dogs and opposums. Big dogs she is very anxious around and usually just gets overaroused and panics, lashing out of them. Sometimes, however, she will do the chasing, barking, biting thing while looking at me. I have to keep her on leash, something I really hate, because I am afraid she will chase down other dogs and scare their owners. She never actually hurts them or breaks the skin though.

Is this baying? I've been looking at blue lacy pics, and their hunting style looks a lot like what Luna is doing. It's very annoying because once she gets into that behavior, you have to either grab her collar and drag her away or pick the animal up.

Sorry that I'm going on and on, but I am just wondering how you control a lacy's predatory urges? Is there no way? It is very frustrating because Luna is very happy but I cannot just take her out because, while she is attentive to me as long as there are no other animals, as soon as an animal, ESPECIALLY another dog, comes on the scene she starts getting very overaroused.
I don't really know where I am going with this... I just have these questions: Could Luna have blue lacy in her? She was found in a rural central Texas area, by the way. Could what she does be considered baying? And how do you control your dogs' urges to chase and bay things? Any info is much appreciated. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:32 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The best way is to encourage it in a controlled enviorment . She needs a outlet I would recommend you try working her in a bay pen on some hogs let her do what she like to do there. Were do you live ?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 pm 

I live in a large surburban area. : P I would be able to find a place to take her pig hunting once or twice, but I could not afford to drive an hour to a rural area once a week, much less rent pigs and a pen.
Would being allowed to indulge in this behavior just encourage her to continue it?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

It has not made mine worse. Mine know that the pen or the woods is the only place it is permitted . Once in a while of getting there but kicked in the is usally enough for them. Were in Texas do you live ? I have acsess to hogs all the time and would not cost you a dime . Just depends how far you are from me . Maybe some one else can tell you how to break her of it but I encourage it in my dogs and I breed for that

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hog baying has helped many a lacy dog owner. You can certainly see what you could work out with Camo. Working with hogs is what the lacy was bred to do.

If that is out of reason for you, there are more subtle things that you can do. A good, hard work out every day is good for both you and the dog. Throwing the ball and having the dog retrieve it is using the dogs prey drive to an extent and if the dog has lab in her, then she should be very good at it! :D Then, take it further. Hide the ball from her. Throw a toy that would be easily caught up in the tree. Make her work to find what she is looking for. Any game that you can think of to make her use her prey drive. There are toys that you can get that you can put things in and they have to work to get them out. I have heard of that toy really helping an out of hand Border Collie. You could put her favorite treat in it and have her work to get it out. Anything along that line should help.

In the big cities, there are groups that do lure coursing. Look into that. Some lacys have been good at it and some not so good, but you could sure try it. Some lure coursing events are for pure bred dogs, but not all of them.

Maybe some of those ideas will help. Hope that they do.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:31 pm 

I agree with Camo and Betty well said....
I do not have a large yard or any hog bays to take my Lacy's, I use my Lacy's for tracking and some small game hunting but that only last for 1/2 year max and the intermittent exercise in tracking and practice tracking is still not enough for my dogs. When my dogs are not hunting or tracking they still need to run off leash a few miles 3 - 4 days a week and walked on leash the other days. I find spaces on power-lines, large un-posted woods, wooded parks, etc...
It is also wise as Betty stated to get them playing hard and active. I use a Frisbee regime where they fetch and drop but anything to blow off energy that makes them run hard and fast, climb and jump will help burn some energy and give them some exercise that relates to what they are bred to do . As Camo and Betty explained they need an outlet to burn energy and if they are given that outlet they can be taught where and when certain aggressions are acceptable and you will both be happy. This is true for all dogs but especially Curs, If they are not given an outlet to burn energy … you are in for a lot of headache and heartache ~X( and they will be undisciplined, out of control and as unhappy with you, as you are with them!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:24 pm 

Thank you Camo, that is very nice of you. : ) But I don't know if Luna would interact with te hogs out of instinct or panic. In as long as I had her, she has never interacted with a large animal except a dog and sea turtle (which sent her into a frenzy, but that's another story.) I don't to traumatize her or have her bug your dogs with her reactivity to them : P
Luna is absolutely the worst dog at playing fetch :)) . You throw something and she just glowers at it in distain. If Luna has blue lacy in her, the rest must be the most gentle breed ever. She's not destructive at ALL unless you count cardboard, she HATES people yelling at her, and even when she is attacking another dog, her bites are gentle (she bit me on accident in the middle of a fight and it didn't even leave a dent in my skin) basically her only problem is her dog reactivity. She will occasionally tug though, and she will do ANYTHING for food (even the barbaric fetching thing she hates so much) . I have already taught her to sniff it out- hiding food in a tree is a great idea!
So are you saying that her reactivity to dogs is at least in part misdirected hunting instinct? That makes a lot more sense than "She is nervous, so she'll run 500 feet to make sure they know not to come close to her", but it also kind of sucks because it makes life pretty boring here for her.
Thank you very very much for all y'alls help so far : )

Oh! One thing I forgot to add- if I am out of sight, she is fine with other dogs. I can leave her with a relative who has two other dogs and she will be just fine, but if I am there with her she gets all crazy. Also, she will begrudgingly tolerate dogs if she is inside. Then she either ignores them or even play with them. I don't know if that is important or not... Anyways, thanks again! sorry I'm talking so much.

Board index » General » Photo Gallery