Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Calendar & Classifieds » Lacy Puppies & Dogs

Forum rules

Only NLDA Approved Breeders may list litters, puppies or stud services. Working owners may list proven adult Lacys but must utilize "Form for listing adult purebred Lacys" (http://nationallacydog.org/forum/viewto ... f=25&t=931) and require moderator approval.

Dogs available for adoption should be listed in the Rehoming & Rescue forum. Buyers are responsible for thoroughly researching all puppies and dogs before making a purchase. We encourage you to post questions or email the NLDA at nlda@nationallacydog.org for more information.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:04 pm 

Hello,
I am looking for a blue Lacy breeder somewhere close to California or Colorado. Most breeders I have found are in Texas. If you have any information regarding Blue Lacy breeders surrounding these areas any help would be greatly appreciated including their contact information. I have fallen in love with this breed and have been searching relentlessly for a (relatively) close breeder. I am willing to travel for this breed and if getting the right dog means flying to TX then that's what I'll have to do. Recently my 9 yr old Springer Spaniel passed away from a rare cancer and I am dying to get a Lacy and would always treat him/her right.
Thank you in advance for any help that you are willing to offer.
Sincerely,
   Daniel Zene

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I do not think the NLDA has any breeders in those areas that I know about.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 pm 

What is the difference between the ABLA, the TLGDA, and the NLDA? Don't they all share the common goal of bettering the breed and getting it accepted into the AKC? Why isn't there ONE association devoted to this great breed? And what are their opposing views if any?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:15 am 

That a large can of worms you might
Not want to open. If I was you I d call one of the original Nlda starters and get the story from them.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:16 am 

And if I m not mistaken Nlda stands for the promoting of the lacy dog as a true working dog. Not promoting to get accepted in the akc. Someone chime in if I m wrong!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 am 

Dear Mr. Zene:

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see that you are interested in a Lacy pup. Would you please elaborate on what you wish to do with the puppy or why you are interested in this breed?

There are fairly large differences between each registry and association. Besides the drastic differences in general appearance of the dogs, you will also find differences in the behavior of the dogs, working abilities of the dogs, and the standards set by the registries for the dogs.

To answer your first question; No, not all of the registries are interested in getting the Lacy breed recognized by the AKC. In fact, I believe that only the American Blue Lacy Association (ABLA) touts this as its mission as an organization.
Quote:
The fact that it isn't recognized by the American Kennel Club hinders the breed extensively since professional-minded breeders can't compete with them. You can't show or compete in any purebred venues where they would obviously excel: Herding, Lure Course, Agility, Obedience, Rally-O, Tracking, etc. Until this breed is recognized, the world will never truly know what it is fully capable of.

I do not and never will support the Lacy breed being recognized by the AKC. The AKC ruins breeds, subjects them to puppy milling, and takes away what makes a Lacy dog different than any other random blue-colored mutt.

Secondly, while every organization exists to "better the breed", the methods of doing so and the final goal of each organization is very different.

There are plenty of devoted people within each association, however not everyone has the same idea of what would be best for the breed as there are people who do drastically different things with their dogs. For example, most of us here work our dogs on livestock or hunt with them. Elsewhere, people are happy just having their dogs in their backyard doing nothing and still call them breedable, well-raised and -bred Lacy dogs.
There used to be one large association, the Texas Lacy Dog Association, until people of different ideals began to break off a few years ago for various reasons.

Many members here have different reasons for doing so, but I will feel free to share mine with you. I was happy dealing with the Texas Lacy Game Dog Association(TLGDA) for years until I began to breed my dogs. I sent in all of my paperwork, the puppies resulting from my breeding were perfectly acceptable to the standards of the registry and association. I mentioned to the one woman who is in charge of just about everything at the TLGDA, that I wanted to dual-register my dogs with the National Lacy Dog Registry for the following reasons:
1) the NLDR had stricter, more understandable standards for the dogs to be registered under
2) the NLDR and NLDA had many more people who were interested in working their dogs, therefor breeding for better working-quality animals.
and 3) they are my dogs and I will do what I want with them.
The head-honcho told me something along the lines of "pick me or pick them" and I picked the National Lacy Dog Association and have been exponentially happier here for years.
She has also cut members off for openly cross-breeding their dogs, breeding pairs she didn't like, or just plain making her angry. The fact that one person thought that they could tell everyone what they could or couldn't do with their animals genuinely infuriated me.

The NLDA and NLDR work to promote working Lacy dogs and owners and breed dogs true to the historical breed standards that retain proper conformation as well as instinctive working ability.

To compare and contrast the three organizations quickly for you:
The NLDA and TLGDA breed Lacys that are similar in appearance. The TLGDA has looser standards than the NLDA as the NLDA has set height, weight, and color standards the must be inspected at 18 months of age. Additionally, breeders in the NLDA must prove their dogs' working value before being accepted as an approved breeder, as opposed to just paying a yearly fee and calling yourself a good breeder.
The ABLA claims to be true to the original standards, however their dogs do not look like Lacys. Many of the dogs bred out of this association of pricked-up ears, poor conformation, and look more like a hairless Australian Shepherd than a Lacy. If you want to go off of what a Lacy used to look like, compare to pictures of

Here is a dog from the ABLA:
From: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bluelacy.htm. Note that dogs on this page from "Huckleberry's Blue Lacy Dogs" are TLGDA-bred dogs that transferred the the ABLA.

Here is a dog bred from the TLDGA and now registered with the NLDA:

Standards set by different registries allow for fluctuations in the breeds' appearance, and most of these standards are set based on the interests of one individuals' preference. The NLDR, however, bases their registration standards upon the historical Lacy appearance description given to us by members of the Lacy family who have seen this breed develop for their entire lives.

The NLDA has guidelines for breeding dogs in order to promote the breed as a working breed as opposed to a house pet. The TLGDA has a few working breeders, but most are simply breeders with unproven stock. The ABLA promotes the AKC and breeds according to this goal, loosing much of the working ability that is instinctive to the breed.

Please feel free to continue to ask questions, we are happy to answer any of them :)

Thanks,
-- Rachael C

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Thank you, Rachael. The NLDA is for people who understand that a lacy has a strong desire to hunt and work and believe that a lacy should work. We are here to help prospective buyers who are looking for the total lacy package: a dog with proper conformation, even temperament, and working ability.

The NLDR was the first lacy registry to require inspections for proper height / weight, bite, temperament, ect before dogs are accepted in to the registry and the NLDA believes that a dog must prove itself in the field, and meet some basic conformance guidelines before it is bred. Our breeders are primarily concerned with placing puppies in working homes.

As you probably noticed, we promote hunting and herding activities because the lacy was bred for this kind of work and excels at it but there are certainly other outlets and one of the purposes of this forum is to learn about and discuss all the ways to work your lacy. A busy lacy is a happy lacy and a happy lacy can be a great pet.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks for answering that Rachael and Courtney very well put .

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I would suggest you contact several different breeders and fly to Texas and see for yourself.

If you wouldnt mind an older pup contact Clifford in Mississippi, he has 2 females for placement.

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 pm 

My "story" and Rachal's are almost identical... And, I am out of pups... Thanks to everyone who helped me find great working homes for them, especially Courtney!

Board index » Calendar & Classifieds » Lacy Puppies & Dogs