Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post subject: tough track
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:58 pm 

Blue had a tough time with a doe Saturday evening.

It was extremely wet, muddy, and there was nearly no wind. The trail varied between heavy to sparse with long gaps with no blood.

Blue just didn't seem his self, like he wasn't concentrating and we had to come back to last blood several times which has not been his pattern at all. He is normally very focused, nose to the ground and pulling the whole way.

Good news is that he did find the deer which would have been lost without him.

I was rolling all this around in my head on the way home want to see if my theory is plausible.

The last 8 - 10 tracks he has been on have been at least 10 hours old and 2 of them were between 20 and 24 hours old and he show great drive and accuracy. With this track being only 1 hr old with no wind is it possible that there was just a huge amount of scent in the air preventing him from focusing on the scent on the ground?

Attachments:
Brighton MILD doe 1-16-10.JPG
Brighton MILD doe 1-16-10.JPG [ 111.1 KiB | Viewed 721 times ]

Post subject: Re: tough track
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Were all his other tracks in dry conditions? Sadie seems to pick up a track better when it's wet, but she also seems overwhelmed by all the smells. She'll be off in a dozen directions at once. It could be that all the other smells were overpowering to him. But that's just a thought based on your description.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

It is very hard for a dog to pick up on a really hot smell, it is just to busy for them to hit right on the spot. I have found that my dogs will smell all around a fresh blood spot and never directly on the blood.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I would think that it as you and the others have said. Fresh scent, wet weather, overloaded senses.

Way to go Blue!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:45 am 

Where was the deer hit, what was the ground cover like, how far did the deer go, on a leash/of a leash. Bottom line deer recovered, good job. Every track is different, the more you do the more your learn your dog, sounds like he is doing a great job! Get back with me.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 pm 

Overwhelmed by different scents seems to describe the way he acted pretty well. His other tracks have not been dry like West Texas dry but they have not been near this wet, I mean water standing in every depression and every up turned leaf.

The deer was hit with a .243 perfectly through the lungs with entry and exit being in exactly the same place just on opposite sides of the deer. How this deer made it over 100 yards I'll never know.

I do know that it did great things for this young hunters confidence finding the deer, had he lost it he would have been convinced that he "did not do his part. "

Since I track primarily on small parcels of property my dog is always on a long (30') lead.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:37 pm 

bboswell--Hey if you don't mind call me 830-570-5041 (Keven)

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing