Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 am 

We got started opening weekend of bow season looking for a friend of mines buck. After a couple hundred yards we lost blood and never found the deer. This was the 1st time for us to find blood and not find a deer so it was a bummer. The hunter is on the property almost daily and has yet to see buzzards working so I'm thinking the deer lived.

Yesterday we went with some kids on a MLD doe hunt. I spent some time finding blood etc on the 1st track and found 2 spots but they were small. I put Blue on the ground and he made short work out of the 70-80 yard track.
Attachment:
IMG00068[1].jpg
IMG00068[1].jpg [ 47.11 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]

We then proceeded to check out what the Dad reported as a low miss. Well I found 1 tiny spec of blood and a chunk of what looked like leg bone. Based on what I saw I expected we were looking for a 3 legged deer and not a dead deer but since I did have a spec of blood I went ahead and put Blue on the ground just to see what if he came up with anything. He didn't, in fact I never spotted another drop and he never really acted like he was on much so we pulled out.

I hope to be back soon with more to report.

Brent

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:17 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Way to go, Blue!! Sounds like he's started a good season.

I know how you feed about the one that you couldnt find. Lucy and I have gotten several of those. Lucy will track them forever and usually will find a spot of blood that keeps us on going. I always figure that the deer is still going, but we keep finding that one spot of blood. When she tracks for a long time, when she does find another drop, she will put her nose down on the blood and really smell it good, then she goes on. She amazes me!! I love to watch these dogs work!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good job, Blue! I know you're proud of him. Y'all have worked really hard to hone his skills.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am 

Two tracks this weekend.

The first was for what was reported to be a "Good Buck" with split brows. We tracked very spotty blood (that appeared to be muscle to me) for about 250yds then Blue stayed on track for another 100 or so but I couldn't see anything in this last section. While we were doing this the arrow was finally found back near the shot area and only have blood / dark hair on 1 of the 4 blades with nothing at all on the shaft or fletching. Pretty safe assumption the lady clipped the deers back and he will live a long happy life.

Second was a rifle shot doe, it wasn't a terribly long track but it was very thick thorny woods and she made several twist and turns making it a good track. Blue found her as fast as I could follow making a young hunter very happy!

All in all I feel successful on both tracks. Yes, we only found 1 deer but we determined that the other one will live and thats much better than thinking it dies and was lost. While the lady really wanted that first archery buck she did feel much better when we left that when we got there.

Attachments:
P1010877.JPG
P1010877.JPG [ 79.7 KiB | Viewed 1788 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:24 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like the start of a good season!

Betty

added to previous post:
Ha, I said that in a previous post!! Maybe I should glance over the whole thread before I post anything! :))

Anyhow- I'm proud of Blue and glad that he got such an awesome owner that is really using him for tracking. And, if Blue is anything like his mama, he loves to track!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Betty L. on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

That's awesome, Brent. It's really an awesome service that you provide hunters...like you said, even if you don't find the deer, you can give them more information.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else Blue comes up with this season! :D

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:02 pm 

Looks like fun. :) Nice work to you and Blue both.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 pm 

It is a lot of fun for us. I have always enjoyed working dogs and my boys fight for turns to go with me! This is good for me and them in that having someone with me that understands what I need (stay at last blood until I ask you to move up) is a great help and it is great for them because they are learning 1. the importance of putting all your effort into recovering what you shoot. 2. everything there is to know about tracking a wounded animal. and 3. It is one more thing they would rather do with me OUTSIDE instead of X-box or just "hangin with friends"! :ymapplause: :ymparty:

I'm tossing a coin on which kid decides he needs his own dog first :-\

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:23 pm 

Congrats you two. Shoot me some pics when you get a chance

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

bboswell wrote:
It is a lot of fun for us. I have always enjoyed working dogs and my boys fight for turns to go with me! This is good for me and them in that having someone with me that understands what I need (stay at last blood until I ask you to move up) is a great help and it is great for them because they are learning 1. the importance of putting all your effort into recovering what you shoot. 2. everything there is to know about tracking a wounded animal. and 3. It is one more thing they would rather do with me OUTSIDE instead of X-box or just "hangin with friends"! :ymapplause: :ymparty:

I'm tossing a coin on which kid decides he needs his own dog first :-\

Brent, it sounds like you're raising your boys right! DJ and I were looking at your hunting and fishing pictures on facebook and hoping that we have that much fun with Eli when he is older! :-BD

p.s. I say get them both a dog, and let the boys train 'em themselves. Nothing like a little healthy competition between brothers! ;)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:22 pm 

Blue earned his keep tonight! Sure wish I could teach him to drag them out after he finds them, or at least track us back us back to the truck when I get turned around!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:10 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We need pictures! ;)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:26 am 

Things really slowed down once the guns came out around here! Blue did find a pretty good 10pt buck back on 12/11 but I failed to get any pictures. I'm ticked at myself for that because it was by far the best buck he has tracked.

This past Saturday I shot a hog right at dark; I put Blue on the track about 8am Sunday morning and he made short work of his first hog track!

Attachments:
1st pig track.jpg
1st pig track.jpg [ 127.16 KiB | Viewed 1684 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:51 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ahh, that Blue is a tracking fool!! Thanks for posting the pics!

Also, glad that he is home and with your family, especially the boys for Christmas!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Great work sounds like a good year so far !!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing