Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:23 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I was just looking for some advice. Did a mock trail and was not pleased with Jackson today of course he is still a 7 month puppy but I expect better. I am looking for suggestions. I am not over working him because we really only do a few trails every month or so. I think I need to work him more. I am looking for some short training techniques to help reinforce good tracking techniques and behaviors. I am having problems with him staying on or near the blood line of the mock trails. Does any one have any advice on how to slow these dogs down and keep them more on line? I do use a leash and it helps but I also don't want to correct him during tracking. I also found that with the temp rising today he struggled more than usual. I was planning on going at 11 for a 3 hour rest but ended up going at 1. Is any of this to be expected, any recommendations. He still seemed to be searching hard but was all over the place, It was windy and we were in open terrain. I guess the best way to put it, is that he is either lost and has no clue what he is doing or he is looking for short cuts not really interested in tracking the blood line but clearly wants the prize at the end.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

If you want a good trailing dog , he needs to be worked 2-3 days a week.
lay short straight trails no turns untill he is 100% on them.
DON'T USE A LEASH attached to his collar, use a harness and a line.
make sure YOU know exactly where the trail is and if he gets off more then a couple of feet
then you stop, don't take a step forward till he picks up the trail again, you let him cast about looking a couple of feet around the trail, but you don't move till he finds and starts following again.
If you use a harness and line then with out him knowing you are teaching him to work slow and correct, he will work if you use this method. good luck
Grandmadawg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Very good advice GD . :-BD

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:05 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thank you. I have a training plan I am going to put in place for him. I just want to be careful because I don't want to burn him out he is still a puppy. I want him to continue to love to track.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm 

Windy days can be tough on a puppy. Jackson is doing what his nose is telling him to do.
The scent is drifting. Sounds like he's doing fine. If you want to run blood trails in cross winds do it on days 10 mph or less until Jackson gets more experience.

On cross winds I use the technique that GD suggested. Great advice.

Another method to use is lay down your blood trail with the wind. You can start the puppy from either end. one day have the scent blowing to the dogs nose the next day away from your dogs nose.

Keeping the nose on the blood trail and not wandering can be a challenge. I learned this technique by observing Sadie.

I was worried about keeping her nose in or near the snow. Not necessary just something I preferred.

Her treat or reward at the end of the blood trail is a deer liver chunk. She loves them.

One day I was putting down a blood trail and at the end when I pulled out the bag of liver there was extra blood so I ran the trail another 15 yards. When I put Sadie on the track the last 15 yards her nose stuck to the ground.

Now I put liver in with the blood and let it soak over night, then pour it into the squeeze bottle. It helps keep Sadie's nose down she doesn't know when to expect the treat.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:38 pm 

great advice Grandma and NE Track,,,, gabe added to what Grandma said about a straight line you may want to add more and a heavy blood trail on windier days, especially with a pup in training. If your pup is not keeping his noise down another thing I do with both of my dogs is I come off the ground and brush blood rags across and on leaves and branches and I mark this area of the trail to see if they come off the ground and scent to the blood when they reach that section (which they usually do) this way I know they are tracking the blood and not anything thing else.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:48 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yea. I am in the process of doing several things.
1. Slowing him down. I do not like harness but use a tracking lead. I run the O-ring collar snug and high on neck. I run the lead on the O-ring and under dog thru legs. This way when I stop it brings his head down and slows him down. If that doesn't work, I will loop the lead around his waist by his rear legs and that will for sure. John Jeanneney advised doing this.

2. I am going to start as suggested putting some deer meat on the lines in different places to keep him close.

He is just so excited he wants to get to the end. I don't think he realizes that he needs to follow the blood. It's working. Still Just 7 Months.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

One more thing. I got no choice but to practice and train in the wind. It seems that it is always windy.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I just did a real short trail this AM. I didn't have much time. I also did not let it rest that long. He really is amazing. The lead under him works like a champ. I stop, he stops no pulling. That works well. So if I see a piece of deer meat on the trial I stop him until he finds it. He did x 2. He then proceded to cut the corner and go exactly to end.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:58 pm 

Sounds like your doing well with Jackson.

I also have to train in the wind not many calm or dry days here. I try to time my trails so we track during the evening lull.

Today's track was difficult we had Rain, wind, live deer I have 7 that winter on my property they come through twice a day. I had to stop and stay in one place a few times as Sadie sorted out all the smells. She finally made it to the end only to find out that a coyote ate her liver treat. Its happened before so I carry extras I tossed one over her shoulder.

Makes mad all that hard work and her treats gone. I will start using hides again and staking them down with cable.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:31 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

NE How long are you resting your tracks currently?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:49 pm 

The time I let my blood trails rest depends on the location and the weather conditions.
If it starts raining hard I shorten the time the the blood trail rest. Moisture only enhances the blood trail to a certain point.

I lay all bloods trails with the intent of letting it rest at least 8 hrs, 400 yards. (except on my property)

Sadie does well with the 2 hr and 4 hr trails dry or rainy conditions, 800 yards.

We do 12 hr trails 400 yards on dry sunny days. Sunny days have been rare.

I have done a couple of 24 hr trails which have been difficult Sadie wanders off track because of the wind conditions. It gets frustrating because some times I expect too much. we get there but I stop and let her sort things out.

I'm starting to think tracking a wounded deer that leaves a blood trail and scent is much easier than just a blood trail.

Today was a 4 hr trail on my property. I do shorter durations there because of too many distractions. I have a clover and sweet grass field. The deer travel through twice a day.
Sadie sorts out the fresh deer tacks a lead length then comes back to the blood trail.
I like the Idea that she is learning we don't follow fresh deer tracks without a blood scent.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I can confirm that the techniques are working to improve Jackson. We did about 250 yd trail today. Rested 2 hours. Not more than 3 ounces of blood. Put the leash on O ring and high on neck and ran it under dog. This helps a ton. He also found a few pieces of the deer meat on the trail which is helping him to want to follow the track a little tighter. I think if I continue doing that it will help out a good bit. He seemed to follow the track pretty easy even though we were on a closed golf course with ponds that he wanted to get into. We would of gone longer but I was out of blood for that batch. Thanks for all of the help. It was overcast with a pretty good wind. Good day tracking with dog.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:43 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

glad your having success.......

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
She finally made it to the end only to find out that a coyote ate her liver treat. Its happened before so I carry extras I tossed one over her shoulder.

I had some liver stolen from the end of the track. The only thing that was around were the donkeys!! :)) They will eat most anything, but the liver??!!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing