Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:53 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

What does everyone do with the hides? I want to reuse my hides but it seems that as they set out in warm to hot days they almost go bad and the next time I use them they are pretty funky. Any Advice on this?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

When we lay trails for our events we always put them out frozen. By lunch they are completely thawed. I guess you could roll them back up and refreeze. We track deer that have been laying out in the heat for 1-2 days so I suppose a hide that's gotten "ripe" is still usable.

At the tracking challenge in August, Betty brought some food grade diatomacious earth. We sprinkled it in a circle around the hide to keep ants away and I was amazed at how well it worked. Normally a piece of meat in the Texas sun would be swarming with fire ants in a matter of minutes. I wouldn't put it directly on the hide because the dogs seem a bit repelled by it. Not sure why since it's edible.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm 

I prep my hides right after I skin them out. I put them in a bucket with 1 cup of salt per gallon of water. This stops the bacteria growth and prevents the hide from slipping. ( hair falling out ) I shake off the excess water let it air dry then freeze them. I haven't had any funk problems.

If your on the road Just pack them in ice when your done using them and refreeze when you get home.

If the bacteria has already set in you may be able to save the hide and stop the hair loss by using more salt in the water solution.

The Diatomaceous earth wont harm the dog at all. I feed it to Sadie to kill all worms and parasites that may get into her digestive tract.

Last edited by NE Track on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:07 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I got me a "coyote" looking dog toy at Academy. I can stuff it full of liver or old deer meat. I dont always have real hides and not enough freezer space. When I get done I just hose it off and leave it hanging outside so that it doesnt pick up human scents.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Jackson seems like he wants to actually eat the hide not just mess with it. I find I have to leave it big enough so he doesn't eat it. He also likes it if I leave him a leg bone.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:41 pm 

Sadie does the same with the hide she shreds them.
That's my fault I let her chew on the downed deer most hunters didn't mind.

Some of Sadie's work

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
I wouldn't put it directly on the hide because the dogs seem a bit repelled by it. Not sure why since it's edible.

DE must have some kind of smell to it- at least to where the dogs can smell it. Cats too. To use enough DE to really do any good for parasites, you have to use quite a bit over a period of time. My dogs simply will not eat a piece of raw that has a lot of DE on it. My cats wont either. But, it did work great when I came up with the idea of using it around the liver, hide, whatever. I put out a piece of liver without the DE and a piece with the DE around it. The liver that was did not have DE around it was crawling with ants. The liver with DE around it had a couple of dead ants on it. Worked great.

I have also recently read that if you put a circle of salt around the liver, the ants will avoid it. Havent tried it, but it would be worth trying. Not much cheaper than salt!

There's nothing wrong with a dog eating the hide. If it has hair on it, the hair cleans out the digestive system. I wouldnt let a dog that is not used to eating hair and hide eat a lot of it as it will give the dog gas since the dog cannot digest the hair. It will come out just about like it went in.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing