Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post subject: New Lacy and Training
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 am 

Well I have a 9 week old lacy and she has been doing awesome on liver drags. This is my first lacy and thus far I could not be happier with her progress. So far she is 3 for 3 on drags. I started at 8 weeks old and did a nice straight 15 yard drag, than couple days later did a 20 yard drag. Today I did about a 35 yard drag through some taller grass and rock, she had the wind in her face and nailed it. Just wanted to make sure and ask the experts on here and make sure i'm doing things right. At what age should I start blood trails and than have the prize be a piece of liver? She seems to be doing well with the liver and I want to keep her confidence up. I have not added any 90 degree turns or anything like that yet. When she finds it I praise her and she wags her tail like she knows whats shes doing and it was to easy, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Just keep it fun. Do some drags in different places increasing length but not so much they loose interest. Still a young pup. Great job.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:33 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I agree with Gabe, just keep working the trails. She's still very young and somedays she may not even be interested. The more you work her, the better she will be.

Keep up the good work!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:10 am 

sounds good guys, thanks

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 pm 

Dirtdog,

I agree with Gabe and Betty, keep it fun and keep it simple.

Run short straight tracks first from every wind direction before adding right angles.
1.Start with the wind blowing to the dog then away.
2. run a straight track with the wind blowing at 45 degrees.
3. run straight track with cross winds.
This will help keep your dog engaged, improve problem solving skills and build confidence.

When your happy with the way your dog does straight track add the turns. In the beginning round the corners. Put a small liver chunk before the turn and two after the turn.
This lets the puppy know it made the right decision and builds additional confidence.
It also helps prevent the puppy from taking short cuts too the end reward, when the wind is blowing to their nose

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:26 am 

Good advice all around... Another thing is that you can actually overdo it. So, curb the enthusiasm enough to let the pup have days off. It's very young, and you can overdo training, and take the fun out of it... The ten week mark is a good time to imprint new things, and you can start more intense sessions at twelve weeks...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 pm 

great advice guys i will take it all into account, i look forward to working with her. Can't wait for Deer season

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

sound advice from all...........good luck with the pup

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:04 pm 

How is your pup doing? Sounds like she has had an awesome start!!! Would love to hear some updates or share some trainning ideas :)

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:34 am 

flashof1979 wrote:
How is your pup doing? Sounds like she has had an awesome start!!! Would love to hear some updates or share some trainning ideas :)

shes been doing great, have been really impressed. I have started adding 90 degree turns. I also have deluted the deer blood with some water so it will last longer because not sure I have enought to last me until season. When I do my turns I add a tab bit more blood than usual. First couple times on the turns she blew past it because in my opinion she works fast. She would check herself when she lost the trail and would work backwards. I need to start doing a better job and changing wind directions on her to make it more challenging. But for 11 weeks old I have been more than happy

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:10 pm 

Dirtdog wrote:
flashof1979 wrote:

shes been doing great, have been really impressed. I have started adding 90 degree turns. I also have deluted the deer blood with some water so it will last longer because not sure I have enought to last me until season. When I do my turns I add a tab bit more blood than usual. First couple times on the turns she blew past it because in my opinion she works fast. She would check herself when she lost the trail and would work backwards. I need to start doing a better job and changing wind directions on her to make it more challenging. But for 11 weeks old I have been more than happy

awesome, please keep us posted on her progress! It is fun to watch these pups.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing