Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post subject: my new pup in training
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 pm 

Well I would like to share some of the trainning that we have been doing. I am a first time Lacy owner, and blown away with my little 13wk old pup!!! Her name is Daisy and she is out of Bleedbluekennels (thanks John).
Now to some people you might think I am moving too fast with my pup. I understand your feelings, and the possible over push of the pup. I am watching her close, and proud she has aced everything to date. All that being said... here is how I started her, LOL.

OK... first I did plan aquireing a lacy pup after I lost a couple deer this year. So I was able to plan ahead and store away some supplies that would be needed once I got my pup.

Step 1- at 11wks we played fetch/tug-o-war with a deer leg I took out of the freezer. I did put small amounts of liver blood on the leg to add to her drive. This was a great sucess. I did this for a couple days.

Step 2-progressive solid drags w/ liver. Started off short about 15 yards and over a few days easily reached 50 yards w/ slight turns.

Step 3- at 12wks progressive pork blood trails w/ small pieces of liver on trail. Placed a small amount of liver at the trail head, small piece after turns, and a larger reward at the finish. Did a 2 of these over the next 5 days. The first one was 75-80 yards with 3 direction changes. The longest one we stretched her out to over 175 yards (only because she aced the 75-80 yards). This longer trail had 3 90deg turns and 1 180deg loop. I did use between 4-5 oz of blood on this one with small pices of liver after each turn. The prize on this one was a deer leg that she greatly enjoyed. Every thing on this went flawless untill she over shot the last turn by the water and never checked back on her own. I had to lead her back down trail approx 30 yards where she circled a few times and regained the sent finishing beautifully.

Step 4- at 13 weeks -80 yards of trail that I put out tonight that we will hit at first light. Seeing how this will be aged around 11hrs I made it fairly short and with slight weaving thru the trees and 3oz of blood.

To be continued...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:25 pm 

Well, things didn't go as planned on the latest trip. Long story short I did not get up when I should have to go run the blood trail. I had to get up all week at 1:30am to go to work so I slept in. The bed just felt too good, LOL. The only reason I did get up was to go check the hog trap. By that point the trail was 16+ hrs old and the day was already heating up. Not to mention the 20-30mph wind, LOL. Just the same I gave her a shot at it. She seemed to have the trail in the beginning, but her body language was unsure. Daisy went completely cold 30-35 yards into the trail at the dry creek / pond. We did slowly finish the trail, just as they you should. No big deal it was already going to be a stretch. Then with the high winds all night and my wanting to continue sleeping didn't help. No one to blame, but me :) . I will lay out another 75-80yd trail shortly and let it age for 2-3 hours and give Daisy an easier run tonight.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I have the same trouble getting out of bed occasionally.....I wont throw stones at that for sure.

Keep up the training, you will do well........

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

Ok Daisy did good. I laid out a 70-75yd blood trail with 2 90deg turns, and aged it over 1hr. I used 3oz of blood with one larger puddle against a tree right after the 2nd 90deg turn to the left to represent a "bed down". She missed the "bed down" because she overshot the turn by about 10 yards. Daisy did her usual left turn to "check up" when she did she picked up the trail 5 or 6yds past the "bed down". "I thnk she is left handed, LOL" From that point she never looked back. She did over shoot the finsh "deer leg" by a few yards. I hid it so she would have to search a little. She gets so amped up when she smells blood and I key her to "find it". At this point I need to work on slowing her down. It just looks so cool to see her fly down the track.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:53 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Chris you are doing so well with her I could not ask for a better owner of one of my pups. With your hard work you are well on your way to having one heck of a tracking pup. :-BD :-BD

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You guys are doing great. Make sure it stays fun. Your are dealing with a puppy so don't rush it. It's a marathon not a sprint.
You can slow them down by working on lead. Put the lead underneath the legs.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:41 pm 

I will be setting out another mock trail tomorrow in the late evening. I will let her run it just before dark.

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 am 

How he do?

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:24 pm 

colbymmiller wrote:
How he do?

Very good thanks for asking. Sorry it took so long to reply. Work and life got fast for a couple weeks, LOL.
We just ran another short blood trail today. She did awesome! It was only about 70 yards with one 90. She did hit the 90 and did her check left as usuall. Circled back and quickly picked it up again. My biggest problem is she works 10X better off lead than she does on lead at this point. Today was off lead. I have tried collars and harnesses on lead. I am just wondering if the week link in the chain is me when she is on lead?

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:33 pm 

Oh ya :D :D :D , even in the fast pace of the last two weeks, we managed to learn "kennel". Daisy now goes into her Kennel on command :D :D :D .

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good Daisy!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

GREAT work with her keep it up . :) :)

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Gooooood Job! I always start my pups young, but I always use a harness and line.
Grandmadawg

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:38 am 

grandmadawg wrote:
Gooooood Job! I always start my pups young, but I always use a harness and line.
Grandmadawg

Maybe that is where I went wrong? I started this whole game off lead. I have tried to work her on lead with collar and harness both. She just does not work as good. I plan on still tring the harness and lead. I am hoping that as she matures in the tracking world she will open up to the harness?

When you say she doesn't work as well, what does she do differently?

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Admin

flashof1979 wrote:
colbymmiller wrote:
How he do?

Very good thanks for asking. Sorry it took so long to reply. Work and life got fast for a couple weeks, LOL.
We just ran another short blood trail today. She did awesome! It was only about 70 yards with one 90. She did hit the 90 and did her check left as usuall. Circled back and quickly picked it up again. My biggest problem is she works 10X better off lead than she does on lead at this point. Today was off lead. I have tried collars and harnesses on lead. I am just wondering if the week link in the chain is me when she is on lead?

When you say she works better off lead, what does she do differently?

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing