Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:01 pm 

When you say she works better off lead, what does she do differently?

I try to pay close attention to her body language from the very beginning. Compaired to off lead when she is on lead she looks unsure or tired? When she has lost the trail she has checked back and even sat at my feet as to say "I am done". I can take her off lead and she will start to work again. It seems more the case when she has to work or check to regain the trail. Almost as if I am in the way or slowing her down? Maybe when she is on lead I wear her out tring to slow her down? I certainly do not want to run every time. I was thinking that as she matures her skills and stamina. Maybe she would work better on lead?

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:23 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I can not get mine to work on lead I think she gets that from Sammy who got it from Bella they will not work on lead and acts like you are holding them back. :-?

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:38 pm 

CAMO wrote:
I can not get mine to work on lead I think she gets that from Sammy who got it from Bella they will not work on lead and acts like you are holding them back. :-?

yep, exactly what it feels like.

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Just remember that blood trailing is not a race.
I used to be really against tracking on a lead but now I advise everyone to start, train and track on leash. If a dog, especially a lacy or cur breed that prefers to wind scent, can learn to work well on a leash then they can work well off lead too.

It's easier to teach a dog to ground scent first and let them learn to wind scent when conditions permit it than to try to get a wind scenter to follow a trail on the ground...so it's important to keep your puppy on the line in the beginning. Also, the lead helps establish a teamwork mentality early on.

I have two dogs that were trained very differently as pups. One I kept on a lead and on the line and the other started out hog hunting, running with groups of rangy dogs. We stopped hog hunting three years ago and he still tracks with a high head. I can't make him put his nose on the ground. The sad thing is, he probably has a better nose than the other dog. He just doesn't maximize his potential.

I would have to actually watch her work to troubleshoot the problem but be sure to give her the majority of the leash when possible. If you have a lead that is 16 feet long, use nearly all of that length. If she drags you through thick brush just drop the leash, walk around the brush, and pick it up on the other side.

Once she has really mastered tracking on a lead she will do great at tracking off lead too.

It sounds like you're doing great with mental conditioning...playing tugging games with a deer hide or leg. That excitement is what drives them.

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Courtney maybe we could do some teaching at then next event . I want to get mine to work on lead but not sure how to go about it ,Long lead , short lead harness ??

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm 

Interesting :-? I will try to work just on lead for the next month or so? I will start small again, and slowly get longer again. I am willing to give it a try again, LOL. The funny thing is. I try to work her around other people so she doesn't get shy or bothered around other people when it is time to work. My friends have seen her work both on and off lead. Last time on lead they even noticed it. Thanks :D

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I think it will be a success Flash.....keep up the good work

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:19 pm 

Well today Daisy got to run another mock trail. I took her out to a piece of land today that was over grown and thick. The idea was to get her to work in thicker woods with more and different natural scents. I started out with 8oz of blood and planned on useing it all up on a 150-175yrd trail. I did not do very well at my plan. The trail ended up @ 240+ yards and I only put out 6oz of the blood. X_X It was a harder and thinner trail than I wanted for her on this highly over grown area.
The trail was layed out this morning around 7am, and we let it set for approx 1 hour before I keyed her up. From everything I read this is a bad time to run a blood line due to the rising heat ect? It was very hummid and getting hotter by the step. I was not happy with the whole set up. I know I should have keep her on leash, but I knew she had a better chance off lead.
She did complete the trail on her own, but it was slower than normal. She had that unsure look often eairly, but it was easy to tell by her faster body movement when she hit more blood. She looked more confident of her self as the trail got deeper in the woods. Maybe at first with the land being so thick, she was slightly unsure of her surroundings. Over all today was a good experance for the both of use.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:43 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

sounds like shes coming along fine......

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:00 pm 

Bluedog wrote:
sounds like shes coming along fine......

Thanks, I just have nothing to compare to, LOL. This is my first go at this. I have learned alot already. I am going to make plenty of mistakes along the way.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:52 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

If your not making mistakes your not doing anything....keep up the good work

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:37 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Chris you are doing great . Rod and Courtney will be at the LSBA expo and doing some blood trailing hope you can make it they will be able to look at her and evaluate and give you some tips hope you can make it . I will be there also with Mac also. Great work with her and Kevin said if you are working with her your doing great .

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:06 am 

CAMO wrote:
Chris you are doing great . Rod and Courtney will be at the LSBA expo and doing some blood trailing hope you can make it they will be able to look at her and evaluate and give you some tips hope you can make it . I will be there also with Mac also. Great work with her and Kevin said if you are working with her your doing great .

I will be there with Daisy. I am looking forward to it :D

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hey Chris Courtney told me something this past weekend that I never though about. Do you walk her on a leash at all when you are not training. If not start taking her on walks with the leash just to get her use to it.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing