Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post subject: Raw and tracking
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 am 

It seems logical to me that feeding a raw diet would make a better tracker.That way if the dog doesnt have a super high drive, it would get the job done using food drive.Ive never fed 100% raw before, but want to give my new pup the optimal chance of being a tracking machine.Ideas or comments?

Post subject: Re: Raw and tracking
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

I am a firm believer in feeding raw meat to any dog...but especially a dog used for hunting and tracking game. We start mental conditioning puppies by introducing them to blood, deer parts, and raw meat as early as possible.

Betty will tell you, a raw diet improves immune system, stamina, and overall health.

I'm a little different from other raw feeders in that I do not feed raw meat exclusively. I believe the dogs appreciate it more when they don't come to expect it on their plate every day. My dogs are ravenous for raw and, for them, it is a special reward. During deer season, I alternate raw meat with premium dog food. The rest of the year, they get premium dog food and raw meat on occasion.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 pm 

Courtney wrote:
I am a firm believer in feeding raw meat to any dog...but especially a dog used for hunting and tracking game. We start mental conditioning puppies by introducing them to blood, deer parts, and raw meat as early as possible.

Betty will tell you, a raw diet improves immune system, stamina, and overall health.

I'm a little different from other raw feeders in that I do not feed raw meat exclusively. I believe the dogs appreciate it more when they don't come to expect it on their plate every day. My dogs are ravenous for raw and, for them, it is a special reward. During deer season, I alternate raw meat with premium dog food. The rest of the year, they get premium dog food and raw meat on occasion.

X2 exactly what I do.

Post subject: Re: Raw and tracking
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I cant give much input on the tracking aspect of feeding raw. I was an inexperienced tracker when I got Lucy, but she was a good tracker considering who she had as a helper. She has always been a good tracker. This subject has come up before and other trackers have said that feeding raw makes a difference. Personally, I just dont know.

What I do know is that the better your dog feels, the better the job he will do. Raw feeding will put your dog in top shape. I dont think that a dog that is on the top of its game when it is running around with grain, vegetables and junk disguised as meat products in its gut trying to be digested. Just as human athletes know what foods they need for top performance, you should understand that a dog is just the same. No digestive disturbances, no slack in the job.

As far as Court's and Colby's opinions about the dogs work better with raw as a reward, I dont agree. I believe that my dogs work at the top of their game every day, whether it is laying here on the chair with me or out hunting.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:02 pm 

I personally agree with the idea of a raw diet. I do not feed exclusively raw, more on the lines of Courtney and Colby. I try to make it a reward system.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing