Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:09 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I am moving Jackson to the next stage of his blood tracking. I found a great device to lay down a simple trail without much hassel or mess. I have the blood in wide mouth bottle or jar like a small poweraid bottle or something even smaller will work you don't need much blood. I then use this drag I had for deer scent and all I can say is Wow! How much easier and less mess and simple was that.
http://www.codebluescents.com/productde ... ?id=OA1090
I just dunk it into the bottle have it attached to my belt loop and walk thru the woods. Put your markers so you don't get lost and know where the trail is. Dunk every so often depending on how much blood you want, and put out hide and treats at the end. I am using much less blood under this method making a much more realistic scenario.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:54 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Gabe do you were rubber boots when you lay you trails ? Also are you doing continous trail or are you leaving gaps in your trail ?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Most of the time I wear rubber boots, sometimes I don't but I would like to always wear them. I have some small gaps, and can put them at any time by just picking up that drag a bit. Once I know he is solid with using so much less blood I will start to increase the gaps and make the blood line I little more sporadic. But just going to the drag has decreased the blood a ton and I am not so interested in rushing things to much they are still only 5 months.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Very good the boots I think really help I like to even tuck my pants into them if I am in deep grass or brush. I have been starting Tiny she is doing pretty good ,I am also doing contious drags till she gets good at that .

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:36 pm 

I just use a honey bear now to squeeze blood out here and there after a friend mentioned it.... Still haven't done too many drag type trails for the pups yet. I also lay my blood trails real sporadically with plenty of gaps and use rubber boots often but not always. Typically have my dad lay the trail then the dogs and myself go after it not knowing anything, lol. I started out using full 16oz Ozarka bottles but now I'm down to 8oz or so. Always leave liver or heart at the end of the track for a prize.

I should start looking into some drag type tracks though... Do y'all use blood as well or just skin?

John, let me know if you want to do some mock trails sometime I've got about a gallon of blood.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:35 pm 

good tips guys,
I use an actual deer leg/foot which I remove from all deer we kill.
I cut as short as possible above the gland (keeping gland for scent) and then freeze them all together in a large bag until needed,
I usually tie a small sponge (cleaned of scent) or just pour blood on hide and drag with a string. you can re-use (refreeze) or leave the leg at the end of the mock trail to simulate deer. ( i start re-using as i start running low on legs usually start of the next season)
I also use beef or deer heart as jpepper uses at the end as a treat.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:10 pm 

Sounds like I may be doing my mock trails wrong.

I use a 2 oz. squeeze bottle I got from a craft store it has a super glue type tip on it.
I put a few drops at every pace which equals 1 yard.
I'm able to put down two 100 yard tracks and 0ne 50 yard track with 2 oz of blood.
Sadie follows them fine on calm days and wanders or air scents on windy days.

Does anyone know how much blood UBT uses and how they lay there blood trails?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Lucy has always winded a lot. Sometimes, she will be running a couple of feet away from the trail but actually following the trail. I know that dogs need to stay on track to pass UBT and our challenges, but like Jimmy said, in the real world, all that matters is if you and the dog find the deer.

Here is a link to the info about UBT tracking tests: http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/inde ... 6&Itemid=9

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:57 pm 

We seem to be doing very well at blood trailing and finding deer.

To track in New York an adult dog has to be certified and the handler must pass a written exam that's given by the state once a year in August. Then you can get a deer tracking license for $50.00.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well, it sounds to me like you and Sadie are doing good! She's working and finding deer. You dont get better than that!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm 

NE Track wrote:
Sounds like I may be doing my mock trails wrong.

I use a 2 oz. squeeze bottle I got from a craft store it has a super glue type tip on it.
I put a few drops at every pace which equals 1 yard.
I'm able to put down two 100 yard tracks and 0ne 50 yard track with 2 oz of blood.
Sadie follows them fine on calm days and wanders or air scents on windy days.

Does anyone know how much blood UBT uses and how they lay there blood trails?

NE Tracker, I do not beleive u are doing anything wrong, there are all sorts of tracking methods. the bottom line is whatever works for you and wheatever your agenda. I track for to find game for myself and other and found different methods/practices in order to keep my dog interested in mock trails
IMO whatever teaches your dog to find whatever is at the end of a bloodtrack is the goal :-BD

As far as UBT, not sure what the teach but here is a link to UBT test that may answer your questions
http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/inde ... 6&Itemid=9

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:10 pm 

Thanks,
saw that they use 8oz for 800 to 1000 yard trails.
They don't mention the spacing.

The longest I have run a mock trail with Sadie is 400 yards using 0ne or two drops every pace. I use extra blood on the 90 degree turns. I put a few drops knee high on brush or weeds at those locations.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:50 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I can tell that Jackson is going to be a better tracker off leash. I want him to stay on leash for now but he just likes to stay off like Betty says and he runs out a trail pretty far before he returns. I think sometimes the scent may be so easy he has no reason to stay close. Not really sure the best way to slow him down some and keep him on track. This is actually useful in real tracking situations because I want to stay with him.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:38 am 

I've got a ton of 550 cord, and it looks like it's just a few ends frayed up. Simple enough to make. I'm going to try this. I'm running low on blood and this should help conserve it. I just hope shoes is able to follow it. I haven't tried a drag trail yet. It's always been drops of blood.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:52 am 

For those of you that live in North Texas,that may be running low on blood,you.can get some from Fishers meat market in Muenster.I buy 5 gal at a time for $5.Most of the time its cattle or sheep blood,but they do process wild game also.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing