Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post subject: first deer
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:05 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Larry found his first deer last night. It was a doe that Roy had shot and it didnt go a long ways, but we put the dogs on it anyway.

Roy came and got me and the dogs. When we got to the feeder, the dogs were let out and they went crazy in the deer feeder- all of them running like crazy here and there. Then, Roy showed them the blood and Larry took a sniff of it and off he went- like a wild man!! Over the fence, around it and to the deer. I didnt get to see much of it, since Roy was holding the flashlight, but I knew he was on it when he took off from the blood. He has only been on a handful of training tracks and probably a couple around here, but we usually put Lucy on them first and then the other dogs. I'm proud of him, even with it being a short track. He had no doubt in his mind what he was doing! Lucy, on the other hand, was not so good!! :))

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: first deer
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:02 pm 

good deal. keep em busy mrs. betty

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good for him. I can't believe he beat Lucy to the deer!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Poor Larry has been pretty neglected. Not in how much we love him, or how much attention we pay to him, but since I had such a good tracking dog, Larry never got trained on much of anything. Nor did Abe. They all get to hunt nearly everyday and I dont think that they are really neglected, but I just never worked either Larry or Abe on tracks.

I dearly love to watch any dog track any thing. But, when their nose is to the ground and they are running and smelling, I am just in awe. Lacys dont need much training, but I do wish that I was younger and was able to spend more time tracking. Larry is also too big for me to work on a lead. If he gets an urge to go, he pulls me off of my feet and that's not too good for me!

Larry definitely has the natural ability, as does Abe, but they will not be used as trackers much because I just cant do it any more and I miss it. I didnt do a lot, but I did love it, even when we didnt find the deer.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing