Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: brisket
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:46 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Walmart has brisket on sale at 87 cents a lb. Thats as cheap for beef as you will ever find. There is no limit.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: brisket
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hope this is still going... been out of town but will head there tonight.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:42 pm 

Do yall feed the beef everyday? I would go broke feeding it. I payed .46/lb for the last 130lb of chicken I bought. I feed 7-10lbs a day depending on if they are getting rice that day or not. I normally pay aroung .56/lb for the chicken.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:54 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Savoy, where did you get chicken that cheap? We've started cutting up and freezing hogs, but I need to start looking for chicken.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:39 pm 

WalMart. 10lb bags of Chicken 1/4's. Pilgram's Pride is the brand.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

No, my dogs dont get beef often. Just when it is on sale. I do buy beef hearts quite a bit. They run $1.49 a lb at HEB. I do get funny looks when I am loading up my cart with them. I try to keep my prices under a dollar a lb. During the summer, my dogs get a lot of chicken. Of course, how much raw feeding costs, depends on the amount and size of the dogs that you have. I would like to get another lacy, but I just cant, cause I couldnt afford to raw feed. It is more important to me to raw feed than to have another dog. And, I'm not running anyone down that has more dogs, that's just how I personally feel. There are bunches of raw feeders that are on the Yahoo group that have Great Danes and the like, and some, more than one. I would hate to see how much some people spend on their dogs. But, then you also have to remember that the healthier your dogs, the less you spend at the vet and that can even out in the long run.

I am going to find a meat wholesaler in Austin. I know that there are wholesalers there that sell to the public, as long as you buy case lots. I will look into it and let everyone know when I am going and what all I can get. Then, you that are close to Austin can meet me and get some cheaper food.

There is a raw feeding group in Austin that you can belong to. They get good deals and pass them on to the members. You do have to do some work for the group, but its not much. http://www.arfcoop.org/joining.html Those of you that are close might look into it. I would join it, but I am too far away and they wont let me join. :((

I think that it would be good too, if when we do find good bargains, that we post it on here. It would be a good idea to pay attention to the date of the sale and post it along with the info. I dont have much time when I go into town, but if I do, I hit all of the grocery stores. I found some great deals on pork not too long ago.

It takes some work, but you can find the different meats and at good prices. Then you buy all that you can afford, or that they have, or that you have room for!! ;)

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding