Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: jack rabbit
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:32 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

My dogs caught their first 'meals on wheels' today! Roy was out walking with the dogs in the trap pasture and they scared up a jackrabbit. They took off after it, of course. You can always tell when Larry is in pursuit because he SQUEAKS! After a while, Roy whistled and Larry came back, but not Abe. So, he whistled again and then saw Abe coming towards him, carrying a big ole jack rabbit!! He didnt know which dog killed it, but Abe was sure claiming it!! Roy cut off a leg for each for Lucy and Larry and Abe got the body. He ate a bit, then Lucy got it, and then Larry got some. Between the 3 of them, they finished it off, ears and all. So, they are fed for the day and they did it themselves!! Cant beat that!!

Bettty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: jack rabbit
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:41 pm 

We have a major problem with rabbits here overrunning everything so a buddy of mine and I are considering some sighthounds crossed with terrier. Whippets make surprisingly good pets other than hating the cold weather and rain so are considering that along with crossed Jack russells or some terrier breed. Not sure if we'll go with the JRT because they can be somewhat dog aggressive. Maybe rat terrier or patterdale crossed with whippet. My lacy can run but not THAT fast due to his leg injury. I just have to taste rabbit meat before I decide if I'm gonna eat it on a daily basis :))

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Go Lacys \:d/ That's just the epitome of a raw diet at work, them actually catching something and eating the whole thing, too cool!

Betty, I've been taking some pictures of Sadie eating raw. I'll edit them and get them up soon. You can really see her using her teeth, all her jaw muscles, even her paws. It's so much more interactive than kibble.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:48 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Pics of them eating-breaking bone and scissoring the meat- would be so good. It makes it so clear that that is how they were meant to eat. I still want to get one of a dog after eating kibble so that people can really see how much is left on the teeth to cause tooth rot among other problems. I think the combination of pics of dogs eating raw and the after pic of kibble on the teeth would make a great point!! Also, pics of Sadies teeth compared to a dog of the same age who eats kibble would make a great point!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:25 pm 

Betty, Pup has a sweet tooth for jackrabbits also, he figured out he could out last them in the race, they usually win but not all the time. They must really taste good, all the other dogs want go near him when he brings a rabbit home. He eats the whole thing!!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeah, they like those jackrabbits!! And, they know how to make quick work of them!! When the kids shoot them and think about it, they bring them back and I freeze them in feedsacks. (I have an old freezer that I keep my dog food in!!) I had some when we had our pups last year. I gave one to the pups and they really enjoyed it!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty L. wrote:
You can always tell when Larry is in pursuit because he SQUEAKS!
Cannon does that also at the start of a rabbit chase. I haven't heard him do that for the birds (doves and pigeons) though, maybe because they are usually close and it is quick. He will make a move towards them, and if one doesn't react fast, he goes after it. He will catch them in the air as they are taking off, or they often fly into a fence trying to get way and he traps them there. He catches a bird or 2 a week. If it is the start of a walk, I make him let it go so he isn't carrying the thing around forever in his mouth. He sometimes plays with them like a cat does for while, before he finishes them off, and (eventually) he eats them. It's also gotten him looking up a lot. He tracks the birds in the trees. He's also learned that, if a mockingbird or jay is making noise at something, it's probably a cat.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:51 pm 

Ruby caught a cotton tail. If she wasn't so quick, I'd think of trying to use her for rabbit hunting. I may still run her on some snowshoe hare this winter to see if she can catch them in the snow. If she can't catch up to them I may have a good winter activity for her.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:47 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Of course, I know nothing about hunting rabbits per say, but my dogs darn sure love to chase them. We dont go hunting for them, they just scare them up when we are out walking and chase them.

I would think that hunting snowshoe rabbits would be good for them in the winter, but, like I say, thats way out of my line of expertise!! Jack rabbits run a very crooked line most of the time. They twist and turn and go a dozen different directions, making them difficult to catch. Cotton tails tend to run more in a straight line, at least the cotton tails around here do. I would think that cotton tails would be easier to catch. At any rate, the dogs love to chase them!! And, eat them.

My dogs have never caught any birds. Larry does try to sneak up on them, kinda like a cat, but he's not that sneaky!! But, he does try!!

The squeak does come when Larry is hot in pursuit!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 pm 

Rabbits run in a large circle..really large but they eventually run back to where they started because they are terriorital animals..beagles know this and the really experienced ones break off and zoom halfway across the circle and wait for the other dogs to drive the rabbit there and catch it. Rare but it happens.

Jackrabbits? No idea there!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:13 pm 

The squeaking/or high pitch yelp must be a lacy thing. Pup does it but only when he is very close to what ever he is after and he knows he is fixing to catch. When I put him on a deer, if he starts the squeak, the bay comes real quick. I will have to admit it is a pretty noise and gets the adrenaline pumping.

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding