Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: First Day of Feeding Raw
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Last night we started our new raw feeding plan. I thought I would give the dogs their chicken, they would eat it, and that would be that. Of course, they all loved it, but it was a lot more comical than I expected.

Cookie ate hers in less than a minute. She picked up the whole chicken quarter and chewed/ swallowed until it was gone.

Aggie and Sunny took a little longer, and they used their feet to hold the chicken down while they tore pieces off and ate them.

Piper took hers into her dog house and guarded it. Every time I walked by, she was just licking it. I really didn't want it sitting there all night, so I took it and pulled a little of the skin off and gave it to her. Once she ate the skin and realized the whole thing was food, it was over.

Shelly was the really funny one. She completely skinned her chicken, and laid the skin in a pile on the other side of her kennel. Then she ate the chicken, pretty much like Cookie did. After she was done with that, she went back to the skin and ate it.

Obviously, I didn't skin the chicken like Betty suggested, but they all seemed to do well. Of course, we'll adjust if we need to.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:42 pm 

Cookie has been on raw chicken before when I was having freezer space and only one child at home so am not surprised she knew what to do with the chicken...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:51 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Love it! Shelly sounds too funny :)) And I'm not at Betty's level yet, but I do find it entertaining to watch Sadie eat new foods. The beef neck bones, though they stank, were the funniest. She really used her paws for that, it almost looked like a person gnawing on a rib.

I have to get my raw pictures up soon, I took a bunch a while back, including ones of Steve's dogs eating shoats. Ollie got an entire piglet and literally ate it whole. The bulldogs are pretty amazing when it comes to chowing down!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Here I go again putting human stuff to dogs, but dogs eating raw are just like kids. They each have their own likes and dislikes and it becomes very apparent as you watch them. Lucy cant hardy stand to use her feet. Like a kid not wanting to get its hands messy. And, yes, there are kids like that!!!! I set all of the dogs food out in bowls and Lucy will take each piece out and put them on the ground before she decides which one to eat first. Abe has to watch his food and keep everyone else from getting it, even tho the others are not paying him a bit of attention!! Abe, I usually have to tell him to 'eat'. Larry, it doesnt matter. He just likes to eat, most anything. ;)

Glad to hear that you have started raw!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We've been feeding raw over a week now, and it's going great! As far as I can tell, they have had NO digestive problems. The two biggest changes I have noticed:

1. The fleas are gone. Well, they're not gone, they're just not on the dogs. I still find them on me when I'm outside. This has been a MAJOR battle since we moved last month, and we were making progress, but we couldn't quite get the dogs "flea-free". I check them almost every day, and I haven't found any for several days. Betty said that feeding raw would help with the fleas, but I have to admit, I was skeptical.
2. "Pooper scooper" duties are almost non-existent. I knew this would happen, but I'm still pleasantly surprised at how little we have to clean out the kennels.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:42 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Now that we're off to a good start raw feeding the bigger dogs, I'd like to start it with the little ones. Our two house dogs are around 20 pounds. Betty, the stories about your old dog Brigitte remind me of our rat terrier, Chief. He is getting older, and we're having trouble maintaining a healthy weight for him. He also has skin problems, and I'm hoping feeding raw will help him with that.

They are not very active (not compared to the Lacys at least), so I'm thinking 2% of their body weight/ day? That would be a little less than half a pound. Can they handle thicker bones like a chicken leg? Shannon, I know you have raw fed small dogs, and I think Mis has, too. Any advice?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:30 pm 

They did great with chicken legs. I had to stop giving them chicken wings because they would gulp them whole.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:07 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Amber,

I have never fed small dogs, but Shannons advice is fine. I think Jim Browning has fed small dogs too. Maybe he will have some advice also. What I say is yes, they can handle the chicken bones quite easily. Donny has a dog who has lost many of his teeth and he can still eat bones just fine. I think that eating bones probably has as much to do with jaw strength as having good teeth. As far as the weight goes, I would say start with the 2% and if the dog gets too thin, just up it. He wont get too thin before you realize that he needs more, if he does. Age and activity will have a definite effect on the amount of food that you feed. I like that you are keeping us updated on the process of switching to raw. It will help others down the line. Let me know for sure how the older dogs do. I was just so very, very pleased at the difference I saw in Bridgette. It was just remarkable.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

What you have to be careful with when feeding raw to small dogs is actually the food being too small. Something like the 'drumstick' of a chicken wing can be just too big to fit down the throat, and especially with a dog that can't bite as well due to size or age, they may try to swallow it anyway. The meat covered bone can be a very effective stopper, and the dog may not be able to get it back out. I lost a dog that way, and it's still hard to think about. The same is true with turkey necks for Lacy sized dogs; you just need to watch as they eat to make sure they handle them.

On a lighter note, the funny thing with Cannon is when he isn't as hungry, or for some reason decides he doesn't want to eat something right away. He'll leave it somewhere, but if you come outside, he'll immediately go over to it and protect it. You leave, he leaves it; you come back, he goes back to it. It can be quite the little game. If he actually has it buried, he'll look over where it is and get all protective sounding, giving away the spot. If you go towards it, he'll guard it. If you sit away from him and call him, he'll usually growl, then come over without he food, get all wiggly, then go back to the food and growl again. If I push the issue, I can take it from him without losing any body parts. I frequently pet him when he is eating and touch the food in his mouth just keep things from escalating.

If you stay outside with him long enough, he'll eventually eat it. When he has a smaller piece of something with bone in the middle, he keeps chomping it the bone is soft, then swallows it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:36 pm 

Amber some how I missed this thread..sorry :ymblushing:

With the Doxies I use chicken legs. Mr. Browning is absolutely right about the size..too small can be bad! Legs work well though. I also give them chicken hearts with their leg, and a liver or two. Not all of the dogs like liver..GeeGee doesn't :))

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:08 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad y'all gave me a heads up about the legs...that's a little scary.

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding