Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: Mrs Betty HELP please
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 pm 

Mrs. Betty you will be happy to know that we began raw feeding at 3 weeks. The pups are still on Mama's milk but I bring them in a couple times a day for some ground beef.
Also been giving them vanilla ensure, to boost them with some vitamins.

Here is my question for you though..they are 4 weeks, its getting close to time for
shots...I`m worried about this. The Vet has said their immune systems are not as strong as full term pups (naturally) as of yet, so I`m concerned that the shots could cause more harm than good BUT the ranch behind us just lost pups to parvo....so what should I do?

Our goal with this litter was to produce at least one female with awesome conformation, disposition and drive ..Brinkley so far exhibits it all (of course its a little early to tell completely) so you can imagine the importance of keeping her healthy and parvo free for Bayed Blue Kennel's..She is a brown dilute to boot so breeding wise she is our dream in the making!

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

As for why the litter came early, best guess is Abby is small, it was her first litter and there were 6 pups in there! Mama is doing great, coat looks good and she is gaining weight so she doesn't look drained down. :) The two male pups that survived will be excluded from breeding & registration due to improper markings :( Which sucks cause they are both little spit-fires ..they will be a great addition to our hunting team though so their health is equally important.

Thanks in advance
Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:47 am 

Mis, with all of your bleaching I think you should be ok to wait a few more weeks before you give them the shots. Do you know if any of the dogs from the ranch behind you visited your place? Have any of yours ran over there when out playing? They have made it this far I thik you are going to be safe!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:40 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Mis,

I missed this post, sorry!!

Put off the shots for at least a while. The mother's antibodies will kill off any shot that you give them as long as they are still nursing and for a period of time afterwards. The period of time depends on the dogs, so I cant give you a specific time. 12 weeks of age is pretty much the accepted time. They should be just fine for a while.

Now, what I would do besides putting off the shots, cause they are a waste of money right now, is to watch them closely. Remember that parvo is dangerous, but what kills them is the dehydration from the diarrhea, NOT the parvo its self. If the pups were to have diarrhea and it is real stinky, get them to the vet, tell the vet that your neighbors have parvo. You should be able to tell the difference in the stools, even if the pups have loose stools from the ground meat. Parvo stools stink and they will be frequent, not the regular timed stools.

The parvo from your neighbors can easily be transferred to your property. If someone walks over there and then comes back, it can be transferred on the sole of the shoes. If a bird comes from picking up a seed or something in their yard, the parvo can live thru the birds digestive tract and be pooped out into your yard. Parvo also can be carried by raccoons, and I recently heard rabbits, so your fear, since you live in the country, can be doubled by the wildlife around you. Like I said before, parvo is hard to kill. It can live in the soil for a long time. When you consider all of this, dont let it worry you. Think healthy pups, know what you are watching for and have faith in your vet to save the pups, should they somehow contract the parvo.

Billy, Donnys pup, got parvo, even after having the first parvo vaccine. Why? because I gave the shot at 6 weeks and the mothers antibodies ate up the vaccine. When he got sick, I had Annie tell the vet that their neighbors lost all of their pups. She put Billy on iv's for a couple of days and he was fine. In fact, he went home a day earlier than she expected.

Abe got parvo when he was around 7 months. The vet didnt even look for parvo because of Abes age. I asked him about parvo, so he tested for it, and sure enough, that's what Abe had. I cant remember for the life of me what he did for the parvo, but he didnt keep him and give him any ivs. Abe came home with us. We have absolutely no idea where Abe got the parvo, unless it was from some wildlife.

I do have a problem with the Ensure. That stuff has a bucket load of sugar in it. The sugar causes the body to go into overdrive. This is my opinion, you do what you think, but I would ditch the Ensure and leave things to mother nature and what their bodies were meant for.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:39 pm 

Thanks! :)

The couple behind us have been over so yes I know the parvo has been tracked into my property :(
That was my biggest concern..with the pups being premi pups.

As far as the parvo goes..worst case I guess, I have IV kits and our vet keeps me loaded up with everything I need. I have nursed several pups through parvo and you are completely right Mrs. Betty it is the dehydration that usually gets them in the end. Heidi bless her heart I spent 3 days quarantined off in the master bathroom with her when she had it..had an IV in her strung up over the shower, and tube fed her for 3 days...
That was a couple years ago..NOW she is fat and healthy..in fact the vet feels like that is why she didn't take on this last breeding..I let her get a little over weight :ymblushing:

As for my precious pups..lets just pray we don't have to deal with Parvo.
I`ve been watching Savannah as well given her ripe old age..

Thanks again, I will be holding off on the shot

~Mis

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You are welcome, Mis. I'm sorry that I overlooked your post and didnt get you answered sooner than I did.

I admire you and anyone else who can stick needles in little pups!! I'm just glad that others can do it and I dont have too!!

I tried tube feeding Abe and did actually do it once or twice, but then I started getting blood back on the tube and that was it for nurse Betty!!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am 

Next time you have people over to look at the pups or be on the property and they're known to have come from property that had parvo. Ask them to step into a bucket filled with bleach before STEPPING on your property or don't allow visitors, period. When I bred my pit and had the pups running around, I never allowed people to trepass or come on the property. I waited until my pups had their 2nd set of shots before taking them off the property to be placed with buyers. I would meet at hog dog bayings or some such places. At that time, their immune system was more able to handle stresses....plus I didn't have to worry about people coming to steal my pups which happened once in the past. I don't breed pit bulls anymore sadly. May try to get an American Bulldog from performance bloodlines or a dogo if I can ever afford one :)) then I would breed from that point on after the dog is 2 years old and physically checked out by a vet for hips and such. Has to have working instincts before I breed.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:51 pm 

Burnet county is covered in parvo..I`d have to bleach everyone's feet...then they would leave bleach residue and the pups would have skin reactions..vicious cycle.. :))

Mrs. Betty no worries ;) I knew you'd get to it when you had time.

As for the needles..and pups..having been an EMT helps with that..but you are not alone in your position ! Kerrington is right there with ya :)

The pups are doing great! *thank God* and I will try to get pics up soon!

Thank you again!

~Mis

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding