Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:22 am 

So have i have seen alot post about the raw diet. And im sure this has been answered already. but im to lazy to go back and look for it :D. My question is can i just feed raw meat everyonce in awhile or do i have to go to a full raw diet? for instentes would it to the dogs any good if i just feed it once week or something like that. Or what about mixing it with reagular dog food?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:31 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Brian,

To answer your question short- it will not hurt to feed raw once a week, or to mix raw with kibble. IF, your dog is one that spends time in the house, or in your truck, YOU might not want to mix the two. :))

The dogs digestive tract has to go through a bit of a change when you go from one type of food to the other. Bluntly put, this will give them ferocious gas.

I would like to say that feeding raw once a week would be beneficial, but really, it wont make that much difference. It would be like you eating hamburgers, french fries, ice cream and a coke 6 days of the week. Then, one day you eating chicken, grapes, salad and yogurt. One day may be good for you, but it wont undo the other days of eating junk.

Now, if you were to eat hamburgers and a good fresh salad every day and have a little yogurt for dessert, your diet would be much better. So, if you were to feed your dog raw along with kibble every day, it would be better for the dog. Then, if somewhere along the line, you were to feed raw only every day, your dog would really be better off.

If, feeding raw a little at a time, would help you make the complete change to raw, then that would be really good! You really cant beat feeding raw, and once you make the switch, it becomes very easy and as much second nature to feed the raw as it is to feed kibble.

If you spend much close time with your dog, feeding raw will pay for itself in smell alone. The bones clean the teeth, so the breath smells much better and the raw food is digested, almost completely, so there is little gas, and much less stinky poop!! The poop is much smaller and so much easier to clean up!!

Dont ever hesitate to ask questions about raw feeding. If I can help, I certainly will.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:40 am 

Thanks betty for your help. I have been thinking about feed some raw alot here lately because alot of yall talk so hi-ly about it. But i just cant bring myself to go and spend money on raw meat to feed my dogs. But i got to thinking of all the hogs i could have kept to feed them. So im think about when i catch one i can put it up to feed. But the Freezer might not always be full of hog meat unfortunatly. HAHAHA :D. so i wasent sure if switching so often hurt there digestive system any. Thanks for the answers. I see some people feed deer. this may be a stupied questiond but have anyone had problems keeping their dogs off of running deer after feeding them deer. Betty if you could point me to the post where it shows the steps on feeding raw meat i would appreciate it. im sure there is a post that you have already explained it all. so i dont want to make you type it again ;). Thanks again

Brian

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:37 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Brian,

What you're talking about is pretty much what we do. We fed chicken quarters for the first few weeks, then we haven't bought any meat since. We feed them the hogs they catch and venison. If there's not any meat in the freezer that day, they eat kibble. They seem to transition fine.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Brian,

I dont know how many dogs that you have, but I know that raw feeding can be expensive if you have very many. There is the point that raw feeding will save you money in a lot of ways in the long run, but I have 3 dogs and to my pocket book, it does hurt. Especially when Roy goes grocery shopping with me!!! :)) :)) :)) The thing that I look at is the cost for raw feeding for the year, not per day. When I am buying meat, I spend no more than $3 a day. That is a lb a day per dog and I try not to spend more than a dollar a lb on meat. Probably, with the sales, I spend a bit less than that, but that is what I aim for. With chicken, its much less than that. At $3.00 a day at 365 days, that is $1095. That's a big chunk of money for me!!! But, when I get free stuff from the taxidermist, which last year, I got an elk carcass, I put that into the equation. The dogs ate at least 3 months off of the elk. My husband shot 3 does and I got more free deer meat from the taxidermist. The dogs eat darn good off of the does that Roy shoots and one doe will last about a month. So, not counting the free deer meat from the taxidermist, I would say that they ate the elk for 3 months and 3 months of our deer meat. That brings my cost to half which is $547, or somewhere around $1.50 a day. I could easily spend that much in vet bills in a year!!!

I know that some will dispute me on this, but this is how I feel. Larry got snake bit not too long back. The vet said that it was a pretty good hit. I truly feel that the reason that my dog did so good when he was snake bit was because his immune system is good and strong and it gave him the ability to fight the effects of the venom. The vet told us that we were looking at tremendous hair loss that he would have to cut off, which Larry did not have to have and thus saving us a bundle of money. If your dog was to get cut bad by a hog, the dog WILL have a better time recovering if the dog is raw fed.

The raw feeding info is under the thread -raw feeding poll. And, there is info on the blog under feeding raw deer. If you have any questions after reading those two, let me know.
:) It is intimidating at first!! We have good, experienced raw feeders on this forum, and all will be happy to give their input too.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:09 am 

Ok Betty sorry to bother you can but im still alittle confused on the process to feeding the raw food :-? . Sorry HAHA some times i wonder if my brain works right somtimes. So say i got a hog or deer to feed the dogs with. How small of chuncks do i feed the dogs. And i saw the part where you need to freeze it. So for how long are you supposed to freeze it (im assuming freezing it gets rid of the worms?) and do you feed it to them frozen. Sorry for all the questions and supiedness. :D thanks for all your help

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 am 

I do pretty much like DJ, feed what I have at hand and keep a bag of kibble for back up.

Wild hog is the only thing that I mandate freezing before feeding. Yes, they have worms but I am more concerned with the Brucillosis and Psudorabies. Freezing for a week is nothing more than a little bit of insurance.

As butchering goes, it depends on your dogs. Between them all, my dogs will eat much an entire hog. My bull dog loves the ribs and will devourer them bone and all. She will also eat the head and spine of a shoat. I have even fed her whole piglets. Some of the others are less inclined to eat big bones so I might give them more meat chunks and smaller rib bones to eat along with some larger bones to chew the marrow out of.

Same thing goes with organ meat. Most of mine wont touch a chicken liver but chow down on pig liver. The ones who will not eat pig liver will eat cow liver.

The easiest way to get into it though is by feeding chicken quarters. If you have a Walmart near by, that is also the cheapest way. (besides feeding what you kill)

Just think about the way a pack of wolves eats.... Its easy. Chop up a pig and start throwing chunks to the dogs. Pay attention to what parts each prefers and amend your feeding accordingly.

And no, feeding venison will not cause them to chase deer.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:03 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Brian,

Questions are always fine!! Steve pretty much hit the nail on the head with his answer.

Your lacy dogs should eat around a pound to a pound and a half. Steve started out feeding his a pound and a half, but then cut it back to a pound. The half pound seemed to slow them down. I feed all of mine a pound a day. Abe stays skinny, Lucy is still too fat and Larry is about right, maybe just a little heavy. So, you will adjust the food to the dog as you see how they eat and carry the weight.

A big chunk of meat is always best. That way they have to chew on it and get the benefit of the pulling of the meat for the front teeth and sawing the meat on the back teeth. There is a 'rule' that you can go by, the piece of meat being bigger than the head. That way they have to chew the food down to a small enough piece to eat. However, you cant always feed 'bigger than the head', but its a good way to start. None of my dogs are real gulpers, so I feed them whatever size I want. Until you find how your dogs will eat, the rule is good to try. When Abe was a small puppy, he would swallow pieces that were so big that he would yelp as they went down. He still swallows HUGE pieces of meat. You will get used to how large a piece of meat that they can swallow. They will chew a little while, then kinda raise their heads a bit and start swallowing and down it goes!! Robby's pup, Colt doesnt chew his meat yet. He just swallows it!!

I do not feed frozen meat to my dogs. I know that people do, but I dont think that it is good for their teeth. I do feed venison straight from the kill. Pig does need to be frozen, as Steve said. I did feed pig straight, but after finding out about the pseudo rabies, I dont do that anymore. I am not afraid of worms and bugs in my dogs. Their healthy bodies will take care of stuff like that.

Now, like Steve said, go get a package of chicken quarters from Walmart and start your dogs on them. Give them the whole quarter. The quarters will range from a little less than a pound to a little more than a pound. DONT get hung up on the weight. One day they might eat more, the next day, a little less; just like us. You do want to feed the organs. Again, Steve was right on. My dogs will not eat turkey liver, or chicken liver, but they love deer liver and beef liver. So, I just always save the liver, heart and lungs from a kill. That gives a good amount of liver. The liver is important. The others are not as necessary. Heart and gizzards are counted as muscle. I just give liver as little snacks with some of their meals.

Now, you see that Steve answered all of your questions, but much shorter than I did. :D
But, please, do not be afraid to ask questions! Even if you think that they are dumb, you wont be the first to ask it, I quarantee! Raw feeding is confusing at first, but it gets so easy. The best way that anyone can phrase it is
Quote:
Just think about the way a pack of wolves eats.... Its easy.
They dont worry about the right portions, or whether they are getting any liver. They just eat the prey that they have and go until they find another meal. Simple as it gets.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:12 pm 

Thanks everyone for your Help. Now all thats left is just making my self do it :D

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You are welcome! Now, just run to walmart, buy the chicken and feed a quarter to the dog. Its that easy. ;)

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding