Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Here's a question for all of you veteran raw feeders. The last time Aggie had puppies, we were still feeding kibble. We just fed her puppy food while she was pregnant and nursing.

Now that we're feeding raw, I'm not sure how (if at all) I need to adjust her feeding.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:11 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I fed Lucy pretty much the same as she had been fed. I started feeding her raw about half way thru her first pregnancy. I have some info, will look it up and post it for you. I know that there is some concern about liver and cleft palate, and too much bone towards the very last, but will find it for you.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry to take so long in getting back with an answer for you, Amber.

I found a reply to the same question on the raw feeding site, which led to a post on the raw breeders site. The answer to feed the mom the same as you have, except that if the mom turns up her nose at something, dont force it on her and feed her something that she wants. Lucy seemed to want less bone and more meat and organs. If you are feeding just wild pork, I would definitely change up the protein sources. I would give plenty of red meat. Towards the end of the pregnancy, I would give her plenty of beef hearts that are usually easy to find at HEB. And, give plenty of organs. I hate feeding kidney, but you can also get it at HEB. You can increase the liver a bit, but because there is some discussion about excess of one of the vitamins (A, I think) in liver being linked to cleft palate, I wouldnt increase the liver any more that a bit. I personally dont believe that more liver equates to cleft palate, but I dont want someone to blame me if there is a cleft palate in a litter. I fed Lucy basically the same way in all 3 litters and had cleft palates in the first 2 and none in the last litter.

There is always discussion about too much calcium with a pregnant bitch, but the opinion on raw feeders is that if you are feeding a proper raw diet that isnt too high in the bone, that there is no problem. If the bitch is like Lucy, she just wont eat the bone. She quit eating bone along towards the end of her pregnancy. Just remember the ratio of bone to meat is pretty small, so dont feed too much bone and she will be fine.

After the pups are born, you will probably want to feed more as long as she is nursing the pups. You can adjust the amount of food to what she seems to want. Then, just cut back as she begins to wean the pups.

During Lucys second and third pregnancy, I just pretty much let her lead me as to what she wanted. I figured that if she was eating like she would in the wild, then she knew what she needed. She has never been one to over eat, so I just fed her as much as she wanted and but the rest back for the next feeding. Some people feed twice a day during this time, but I cant remember whether I fed her twice a day or not. Under normal circumstances, she will only eat once a day, but I honestly dont remember what I did when she was pregnant. If Aggie seems hungry in the morning, feed her. If she eats in the morning and wont eat again at regular feeding time, just feed her once a day.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just let me know.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks, Betty. Sorry I'm just responding...I guess I missed this post.

We're feeding her twice a day instead of once, and she seems to be doing fine. She usually eats every bit of what we give her, but she left some liver a few days ago, so I just gave it to one of the others.

One other note: I looked at her teeth a few days ago for the first time in a while. I wish I would have taken a picture of them before we started feeding raw, but I honestly didn't think the difference would be this dramatic! She still has a little plaque in the back ones, but they're SOOOO much better! We've only been feeding raw for about 9 months, so I'm hoping if we keep it up, they'll be completely clean.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 pm 

Amber I always gave Addy a little cottage cheese with her food, she loved it. I don't remember why I was giving it to her, except maybe the extra calcium.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Shannon C wrote:
Amber I always gave Addy a little cottage cheese with her food, she loved it. I don't remember why I was giving it to her, except maybe the extra calcium.

I remember putting a tablespoon full of cooking oil and cottage cheese on our dog food years ago. Part of it was for the coat but I don't remember what the other part was for.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The oil would have been for the coat. I remember us giving oil to the my dogs as a child, knowing that it was good for them. We probably gave them a lot of bacon grease!! Way back then, the only thing that we fed our dog was table scraps.

Dont know about the cottage cheese, unless it would be the calcium.

If you are raw feeding, the oil shouldnt be necessary, but some people do like to give salmon oil, especially if the dogs coat isnt responding as good as it should to the raw. Salmon oil is also good if you have an old dog who has stiff joints.

I dont normally give my dogs any additional calcium as they get a lot of bones in their meals. I did, however, give them some cottage cheese tonight as I cleaned out my refrigerator today!!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Amber, their teeth will amaze you on raw! Sadie as never had a cleaning in her entire life and she doesn't have a single tooth in her mouth that isn't perfectly pearly white, even the back molars. My mom used to brush our Corgi's teeth with liver toothpaste, it was disgusting, and they never looked this good.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Amber, do you feed any chicken? Chicken is good for them to get onto their back teeth and chew back there more than most other food. Honestly, the teeth should not have any plaque at all by now, unless she just isnt using those back teeth enough. Try to watch her some and see if any bone that she is eating is really getting into the back teeth. If not, get her some chicken, doesnt have to be much and see if she gets that into those back teeth. Some day I am going to get some good pictures of the teeth of a kibble fed dog and one that is fed raw. It is absolutely amazing the difference raw can make on the teeth. AND, without all that plaque, the breath is SOOOO much better!

Donny's dog, Billy was out here for several days while the kids were on spring break. He ate raw while he was here and then I gave him some extra bones. His teeth were looking better already, in just a few days.

My old dog, Bridgette, had teeth that really got bad with plaque and I had to have her teeth cleaned a lot. When I put her on raw, her teeth were in good shape by 2 or 3 weeks. It is impressive what the bones do for the teeth. Not only do the bones clean the teeth, just by natural abrasion, the meat doesnt get stuck in the teeth like kibble does. The kibble getting stuck in the teeth and up around the gum line is one of the worst things for contributing to plaque.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty, we haven't fed chicken since last summer. The other dogs don't have any plaque, but Aggie's were WAY worse to start with. I'll get her some chicken and see if it helps.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:48 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeh, try the chicken. My vet told me with Bridgette that some dogs are just more prone to plaque, so Aggie may just be that way. And, we'll know after she has eaten some more chicken. :)

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding