Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: testimony
 Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:07 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I subscribe to a website about pet foods. I have posted it before for those who are interested. I have posted a few things in their entirety, but in this case, I am posting just a part of one section. If you want to read the whole thing, you can go to http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articl ... -diet.html

What I am posting is the authors statement of her experience with a vet and her dog who got cancer.

For a moment I have to sidestep the issue at hand and give a Veterinarian his due. From when I was a young child, probably 8 to 10 years old, Dr. Bruce Catlett (St. Matthews Animal Clinic, Louisville, KY) was my veterinarian. My dogs have been a huge portion of my life since I was a young child; Dr. Catlett in turn played a big role in keeping my pets healthy.

As I grew into adulthood, Dr. Catlett remained my veterinarian. As I started a training facility and later a boarding kennel (by the way – I’m proud to say the very first all indoor/all suite boarding kennel in the U.S.), Dr. Catlett remained my veterinarian. It wasn’t until 1991 that I realized how important (and how smart) Dr. Catlett was. One day I noticed a lump on the pelvic bone of my beloved business partner Samantha; an eight year old Rottweiler (rotten-weiler). It turned out to be bone cancer; very aggressive bone cancer. I had two weeks to tell her good-bye.

The life changing moment in my life was when Dr. Catlett told me that her pet food – at the time the number one pet food in the U.S. (remains in the top five) – contained a chemical preservative (ethoxyquin) that was more than likely responsible for her cancer. I was dumbfounded. This was almost 20 years ago. To hear from a life-long trusted veterinarian that the food I gave my best friend was ‘more than likely’ responsible for her death…well…many of you understand how I felt. Back then, I was very naïve. Dr. Catlett told me ethoxyquin was added to pet food to extend the shelf life of the food. Shelf life?...I didn’t even understand what that meant at the time.

But…my best friend was dying. Her tumor was growing by the day; I could see it grow. So, in disbelief, I called this pet food company and asked the following question…

“What is the shelf life of XXXXX (the pet food)?”

I’ll never forget it. The following is a direct quote from the pet food company that has been seared into my brain ever since…

“25 years”.

25 YEARS! My dog lived to be eight.

I only learned the difference because this particular veterinarian had the courage and integrity to tell me. And he taught me much more.

Amazing that a dog food could stay good for 25 years! This woman does not feed raw, she feeds some other kind of food, but she is adamantly against some of the things that go on in the dog food world. Any person that feeds any thing other than fresh, raw meat, bones and organs, should subscribe to this website. Many times she has things that dont interest me because she doesnt feed raw and doesnt really seem to totally understand the whole concept of raw, but she is DEAD on when it comes to what is in many manufactured dog foods and why they should not be fed.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: testimony
 Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:09 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Unbelievable.

There is food, and then there is food PRODUCT. Not hard to say which is best for you, or for your dog.

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:13 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

My niece, who just couldnt feed raw, lost her 6 yr old Golden Retriever this week end. He started coughing up blood and was gone in a couple of days. He either had a bad fungus infection, or cancer. Wonder where all of these infections and cancers are coming from? Could it be a 'food' that can last 25 years?

I dont mean to be ugly. I hurt for her. She loves her critters as much as I do, but there is just so much info out there about how bad even 'so-called good kibble' is, that I just cant stand it when someone that I love loses an animal that has been fed junk all of its life.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:34 pm 

That's a shame. I feed both kibble and raw. It really just makes me feel better to give them something to clean their teeth with. Levi had some gross cavities and still has poor dental health because he used to eat nothing but kibble. And, it's cheaper to get scrap than it is to buy kibble. I get a 50lb box of bone and meat scrap from the meat market out here for $5, whereas a 50lb bag of kibble will cost at least $20. We also can just feed whatever we kill. That little 60lb boar cost us nothing and we ate him and had enough scrap to feed all six of the dogs. Bigger ones last a few days.

What I find really hilarious now is the canned dog foods that are supposed to be real meat and vegetables. Why not just get some cheaper, less chemically-treated meat from a meat market or something? I understand some people don't like to touch it, but most places will package scraps if you ask them to.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding