Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: New Lacy/Raw diet
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm 

I am new to the Lacy, and just got my first one 2 days ago. I am interested in a raw diet, and have lots of venison in the freezer now. How much should my 7 week old puppy be eating and how much should I expect as she grows.

Thanks,

Justin

Post subject: Re: New Lacy/Raw diet
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:09 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

A new lacy dog owner and raw feeder!! Doesnt get any better than that!!! What is her name?

I would feed your pup 3 times a day, if possible. Thats hard for someone who is gone all day, but that is best. If you cant feed that, then feed the pup twice a day. You will feed the same amount as you will feed when the pup is grown. Your lacy should be around 30 to 40 pounds and you should feed 2-3% of the adult weight. Thats gonna be around 1 1/2 pound to 2 pounds. I would go with the 1 1/2 for a female. With a puppy, you will have to just watch and if the pup stays too fat, then cut back a bit. If the pup stays too thin, add some. With puppys its a bit harder to tell when they are too fat!!! Especially when everyone loves a fat puppy!! But, you can tell if they are either one. You should be able to start with the deer, since you are feeding a pup. Divide the 1 1/2 pounds by the times of day that you are feeding. It doesnt have to be exact- just divide it into 2 or 3 meals.

I have always started new raw feeders with chicken, but the deer will be great, but you must get bone in the meal. I'm assuming that your deer meat doesnt have bones with it, so get some chicken, like legs or backs and feed that along with the deer meat. You will also have to feed some organs. Liver and kidney are easy to get at HEB, so get some of that. The ideal ratio is 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ, with 5% of the organ coming from liver. Beef liver is best, cause most dogs dont like the texture of chicken liver. Dont panic and think that you have to measure all of this for each meal. If you feed a couple of meals of deer meat, then throw in a drumstick with the next meal. For the pup, you might want to feed small pieces of liver and other organs along with each meal, or at least, fairly regular. Too much organ will cause runny stools and too much bone will cause constipation. When you are hunting and gut the deer, save all the organs for your dog. They love them. My dogs dont like the texture of the lungs, but if I cut them into smaller parts, they will eat them up. They love deer liver and deer heart. Heart counts as muscle meat. There is also something else in the deer that resembles the liver, maybe the spleen that the dogs love. So, dont waste those innards, your pup will love them and they are so good for it.

If you feel like the pup is staying too lean on the deer and some chicken, you can add more fat. Since the deer is so lean, you might need more fat. Just keep that in mind. Pork is cheap and has a lot of fat, so you can always add that.

Dont feed the pup the deer leg bones, if they are included in your steaks. The weight bearing bones are too hard even for grown dogs. They will chew on the ends that have a lot of marrow, but the long bone is just too hard. The pups will be fine with the chicken bones, but watch her while she eats. My pups always ate the ends of the chicken legs or thighs and then I took the longer part of the bone away from them until they got much older.

It's been a while since I fed a pup, but at 7 weeks, she should be able to handle the deer and chicken no problem. If you have any problems, or questions, please dont be afraid to ask. I am sure that there are things that I have forgotten or not covered, especially since it is late at night. I bumped up an old post on feeding a pup raw. I cant remember all that stuff now, so it was good to read over it!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:15 pm 

Thanks Betty,

That is a lot of help! The pup's name is Sweet Dusty Rose (after her parents Sweet Rascal (dad) & Dusty Road (mom)) we call her "Rosie". I fed her some meat that I cut off deer quarters this morning. She loved it! Wanted nothing to do with kibble after that. I also read your post on raw puppy feeding, thank you a bunch.

Justin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:32 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Congratulations on your new pup! We started our last litter on raw at about 5 weeks, and they did great!

We feed our grown dogs raw too, and with them we're not very methodical. Some days they may get a lot, and other days they just get a little. Same with the bone/muscle/organ ratio. I just estimate, and figure that over time, they get the ratio that they need.

With the puppies, we tried to be more precise with what they were getting. I know that Betty suggests starting them on chicken, but, honestly, that wasn't in the budget. They started on venison, and by the time they went to their new homes, they had eaten venison, pork, dove, and goat. They never had trouble with any of it, and they liked the whole dove the best. If you want to keep it from being hard on their stomachs, feed one kind of meat for a while before you switch to another.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:48 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Glad to help and I always appreciate the help from the others who add their input. Takes the pressure off of me. Amber is right. I think that you do need to be more precise with the pups measurement of food, as they are growing and their needs are more precise as opposed to an adult dog. And, all of the meats that Amber listed are great. Just depends on what you have easily available to you. Turkey is also a great source of meat and bone, although the drumsticks would be a bit much for a pup, I think. There are just so many tough ligaments in them. But a thigh would be good. I have been getting thighs at HEB for 1.49 a pound for Larry, as he cannot eat chicken. Just make sure that Rosie gets the bone and organs, just the same as meat.

I raised 3 litters on raw and they have all done just fine, and I expect Rosie to do the same. Larry was put on raw when I got him at 6 weeks and he is doing good. He's a good, strong dog. Abe, my other male has never eaten anything but raw and he is a great example of a lacy dog. Lots of energy, smart as a whip and good looking!!

I would invite you to read the posts on vaccines also. Not vaccinating will make your pup strong and healthy also. Stay away from chemicals as much as you can also. A dog raised on raw meat, bones and organs is a healthy dog and most of the time can take care of pesky bugs on their own.

You got a great pup- good lineage!! Hope you enjoy her as much as I have enjoyed my lacys!! They are wonderful dogs.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:00 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Congratulations on doing what's best for your puppy!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:43 am 

My pup was pooping pretty regular, 2-3 times a day when I got her, now it seems she's going only once after giving her raw. Is this normal or expected?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:57 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Totally normal! That's actually one of the perks of feeding raw...less cleanup! It's because her body is digesting almost everything she's eating. There's a lot more junk in kibble, which means more waste.

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding