Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:17 pm 

Alex went to his lease yesterday and FINALLY shot 2 does! So we have spent all day skinning and cutting up deer. The dogs got 1 and we got the other, and of course the dogs got the scraps of what we don't need. We made 50lbs of hamburger and chilie meat and of course stew meat and the back strap in several differenet ways. My favorite is the hamburger, we grind that with brisket and YUMMY that makes the best hamburger with so very little fat. Brisket is on sale at Walmart. We are all going to be eating great for a while! This was a family affair all four of us had a part in this today.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 am 

Well let me update this....For those of you who don't know my dogs are outside dogs except at night they do come in and sleep in their kennels. That is about to change though!@ They have had the WORST gas I have ever smelt in my whole life. 5 dogs with gas my house may explode.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

OK, so here's what you do: go to Walmart or HEB and get some cheap enzymes. At Walmart they have a fairly cheap enzymes called Gestazyme Multi-Enzyme. They are in a lavender colored bottle. When the dogs have gas, cram one of the enzymes down their throats. Or, you can be nice and give it to them wrapped in something.

Sometimes when the dogs food is changed, it will cause gas. Sometimes when they are given bones, it will cause gas. Some times they just have gas!!! My dogs rarely have gas, but when they do, its pretty bad. I dont know why a change of food will cause gas but often it will. Pork will almost always cause gas in my dogs. But, the additional enzymes will almost always help.

We got a bunch of bones from the taxidermist a week ago. The deer had been processed, but there was still a lot of meat on the bones. The neck bones were really good. My dogs love the neck bones! Anyway, we got a good amount of just meat and then some really good meaty bones for the dogs. Its really strange, but I really enjoy putting the meat up for the dogs. Must be a motherly thing!!

Betty

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding