Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

A very interesting article on the Bordetella and para-influenza vaccines. Check it out- its good reading!!

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bo ... tion-dogs/

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good reading Betty that will be another scratched off my list. I think we are down to just 3 year rabies on our dogs . Well except for puppy shots .

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good deal!!!!!!! Your dogs will be healthier because of it!!

Lucy had all kinds of vaccines. Then, after getting on the raw feeding bandwagon, I began to see that all those vaccines that I was giving her just werent necessary. Just mostly putting money in someone elses pocket.

Larry had one puppy shot from the breeder and one rabies vaccine.

Abe has had just one rabies vaccine.

They will never have any more vaccines, period. Altho rabies is required by TX law every 3 years (some counties still require a booster every year, but that is changing) I will not vaccinate them again. Studies are being done to prove that the rabies vaccine is good for longer than 3 years. http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/ You can have titers done on them if you are worried about rabies.

Altho I will not vaccinate my dogs, I am not saying that this is the avenue for everyone. I advocate that people educate themselves before going to the vet and letting them make all the decisions about the health of the dog and putting your money in their pockets.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:44 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Also, always remember that you never give a sick dog a vaccine. Rabies is included on that it may be hard to convince your vet that a sick dog shouldnt be vaccinated, but it says on the label of the vaccine that it should not be administered to sick dogs, or people, for that matter. California has just passed a law stating that sick dogs can get an exemption from the rabies vaccine.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm 

Betty do you not use the Lyme desease vaccine?... I give the dogs Lime and rabbies shots I am worried with all the ticks I am costantly pulling off them after trips into the woods this time of year (end of summmer) even with frontline I am worried to death they'll get Lyme. you don't beleive in the Lyme vaccine either?

Last edited by jmc243 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Not sure about Betty but I do not do use it and have not had a problem .

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.568798,-97.541722

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:29 pm 

John, are deer ticks and lyme desease bad in your area? Lyme desease seems to be very common here in both people and dogs

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:34 pm 

I hate to think I am helping my dogs when in fact I may be hurting them, the vaccine concerns are as real as what the vaccines are said to fight... I try not to give vaccines but the Lyme and Rabies are two I feel are impotant.... I hope I am not giving my dogs something that is hurting them..

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I know we have lots of ticks but not sure how bad the lime disease is In Texas .

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.569058,-97.541585

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 pm 

Betty and everyone! I may have personal experience with just this subject. Rudy was a stray on a back rural road when Bill my hubby found him. He was starving! (Ribs were showing.) He slept so much the first couple of days that we had him and boy did he drink and drink. I think we literally saved his life. Well, he was wild and crazy then. My hubby came down sick and I was stuck caring for both of them of them and Rudy was driving me crazy! ( I was very tired myself!) So we decided to take Rudy to the county pound. They gave him a Distemper and Bordetella Vaccine. We felt bad and after several days, we went up and got Rudy back and became his owners. He was with us two weeks and two days prior to the pound. We left him there 5 days. He wasn't home 48 hours before I noticed he was sick. Didn't want to play, drink, or eat. He had a fever, coughing, and diarehea. He went thru 3 rounds of antiboitics before he was better. The vet also gave him a second distemper and his rabies shot at that point! He is much better now! BUT knowing what we know now, we should have refused the distemper and rabies shots until he was better. Bill thinks part of his sickness was over medication. (He had also developed a rash on his belly!)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:16 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

A healthy dog rarely needs anything for bordetella. When you have an unhealthy dog, such as Rudy was, you should NEVER vaccinate it for anything! It says right on the label of the vaccine bottle, if the vet and the people at pounds and rescues would read it, that you dont vaccinate a sick dog!

If you think about it, a sick dog is already immuno comprimised which is why it is sick. Why on God's green earth would someone inject a sick dog with a virus that will throw the dogs immune system into more sickness at the time? It doesnt matter if the virus is dead or alive, you are injecting a foreign object into the already immuno comprimised system and asking that system to fight even more crap because of the adjuvants such as mercury, aluminum, anti-freeze, etc. that are in the vaccine as preservatives.

Quote:
BUT knowing what we know now, we should have refused the distemper and rabies shots until he was better. Bill thinks part of his sickness was over medication. (He had also developed a rash on his belly!)
You can only do what you know at the time. The vet, who you looked to for help, is the one who should feel bad. Bill is exactly right, the dog got sicker because of the assault on his system. The rash that Rudy got after the shots was the bodies way of trying to get rid of some of the crap that Rudy had been subjected to. I would tell you to be very careful if or when you get Rudy another rabies vaccine. IF he was having a reaction to the rabies vaccine it can be even worse the next time.

You have come a long ways with Rudy and you are to be commended for your efforts with him.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 pm 

Thanks Betty! I will watch him next year at vaccine time. He will need another distemper and rabies next year. Then that one will be good for three years she said. What do you all do about the rabies vaccine?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:22 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Myself, I dont vaccinate any more. Lucy was vaccinated for everything under the sun until I learned better. Larry was vaccinated by the breeder with a five way and he got one rabies shot. Abe has received one rabies. That is all the vaccines any of them will ever have again.

I do live in a situation where I really dont have to worry about the law and rabies. My dogs are rarely in a place where they could bite and I trust them, as much as you can trust a dog, to not bite anyway. I dont have any city officials looking out over my part of the country, so the law doesnt worry me.

We have a place very far in the country in west Texas. My dogs hunt almost every day of their lives. They dont find stuff that often, but they go walking with my husband and have the opportunity to find raccoons, squirrels, skunks, etc. We also have bats out here. Since my dogs have had the one rabies vaccine, I dont worry about rabies. It has taken me many years to get to this point, but I am to the point now that I believe that the negative effects of vaccines and chemicals are far worse than the chance of getting the dread diseases themselves.

The Rabies Challenge Fund is working on proving that the rabies vaccine is good for life. Dr. Dodds and Dr. Schultz are responsible for proving that the rabies shot is good for 3 years and that is why the laws are being changed to 3 years instead of 1 year. They are working on 5 and 7 years duration now. http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Dogs that have had a bad reaction to the rabies vaccine can get an exemption from getting any more rabies vaccines. This does depend on the state and the vet but exemptions are available, but not always easy to get. In Rudy's case, if when you get his second rabies shot, he has a reaction, you should be able to exempt him from any more rabies shots. And, if he does have a reaction, there is a place to report it.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding