Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:40 pm 

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

This Snopes site gives the following information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:14 pm 

Meant to put this in the other forum...sorry.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thats ok, Chris. Thanks for posting it!!

I can certainly see why cocoa mulch would be bad for dogs!! Everyone should know, but I'm sure many dont, that chocolate is bad for dogs! I can imagine my dogs going crazy over cocoa mulch! I'm sure that Hershey thought that they had found a great way to reap profits from discarded bean shells. And, like most people who produce things that can be dangerous, they dont worry about the small percentage of people or pets that can get terribly sick or die from that product.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:59 am 

I always buy mulch and put it in my flower beds but I am to cheap to buy something with coco in it so we are safe! How horrible, that company should be held liable for not putting that on the lable. It is not like you put mulch in your flower pot in the house only. The chance of a animal getting in it is almost guaranteed, there should be a warning.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks Chris,

great info, the company should be held liable.

kevin

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:36 pm 

Not sure if it is the cocoa mulch but heard there was a type of mulch made from 100% recycled rubber so it never really fades like wood mulch does and from what I understand, it can be rather hot to walk on in the summertime. Wonder why people have those.....

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

If you want to see how truly arrogant and uncaring most businesses are, especially ones that deal with pets, such as Hartz, read the post that I put on the veterinary forum. Then, you can go to the website http://www.publicintegrity.org/articles/entry/1090/ where I found the article and see the pictures of the dogs that were hurt by the spot on pyrethroid flea and tick killers. The pictures didnt copy with the post, but you will be amazed when you see them. In both articles, the companies go on the premise that if you only hurt one or two pets, its no problem.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding