Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: score
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Wow! I just got back from a run to the taxidermist to pick up a carcass that they were holding for me. It's an ELK!! I dont know how I am going to get it out of the pick-up!! The kid at the taxidermist cuts out the tenderloin and the back strap, cuts off the hams and the front legs and thats about it. So, I have this huge carcass and no husband around right now to help me get it out of the truck and into the freezer! Not to mention that I will have to clean out the big freezer to get this huge thing into it!! I'll let everyone know how it goes. The dogs cant wait to get to it!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: score
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Holy cow.. I mean Elk. Lucky dogs, that's for sure. You can never have enough freezer space!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm 

I know where there is some extra freezer space.... Steve's house.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:49 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Larry enjoying his elk leg. He ate a big part of the joint, so by doing this, he got his front teeth cleaned and nourished his body with all kinds of good stuff for his joints.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeh, you can never have enough freezer space. However, you can NOT have enough freezer space!! One big old timey chest freezer, a smaller newer freezer and 2 refridgerator freezers and they are all full!!! I just love it!! I still have the neck and a big part of something that wont go in the freezer. I will have to cut it up as best as I can and try to figure out how to get it in the little space that I have left. A rib cage took up one feed sack. Man, you see these things at a distance, but when you see them up close, they are really big!! The taxidermist had a moose that he had mounted. I'd hate to see one of those things up close and personal!! Would like to have the meat too!!! They also had a buffalo head that they were working on. Too bad I cant get that meat!!! Get to know a taxidermist!! Its worth it!!

Steve, if you want to run out here, I'll share a little meat for your freezer, if you'll help me lift what I have out of the back of the truck!! LOL!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:52 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well, Steve didnt come up and take advantage of my offer, but I got it all taken care of by myself. We will still have some big pieces to tend to when Roy gets home, but I got the neck all cut into dog size pieces, some ribs cut up and lots and lots of meat bagged up! There is still a whole front leg, and two large body pieces that I just couldnt do by myself, but it is at least all in the freezers. The heart weighed over 5 lbs. The dogs are fighting over 3 legs. They just dont understand the sharing bit!! Everyone has their own leg, but they all want it all!! Lucy is out there keeping the other two from all 3 legs!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:21 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty, Sadie is so jealous! I wish we were closer, I definitely would have helped do some lifting and cutting for a couple chunks of elk. Sadie hasn't gotten good game meat in a while, so I need to see if Steve can score me a couple pieces of venison.

I still haven't figured out what cuts of red meat would be good from the grocery store. Remember, I don't eat meat, so if I don't have actually suggestions I have no idea what I'm looking for! Any suggestions on that front?

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:39 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Beef heart is usually the cheapest that you can get at regular price. It counts as either organ or muscle. In San Angelo can only find it at HEB. I can order a case of it if I call a day ahead. Thats the best way for me to do it, because a lot of times, they dont have it. Beef heart is what Larry eats when the others are eating chicken. Its a good tough muscle, so they do get some chewing benefit from it. It's still pretty expensive at $1.49 a lb. But, if I dont have deer or ELK, its usually what I wind up buying.

The other thing you can do is just watch for sales. Sometimes, brisket is on sale cheap and altho its hard to feed good brisket to a dog, if its cheap, thats what matters.

I think that pork counts as red, but I cant be quoted on that. Pork is quite frequently on sale in various cuts. The other day I was at Albersons and they had a bunch of thick porkchops that were marked down because the date was expiring. I bought all that they had which I'm sure the checker wondered why I was buying 12 or 15 packages of out of date meat!!

If I have time when I am in town, I hit all the stores for sales. It would be better if I just bought a newspaper, but that would be too easy!! And, they dont list out of date meat in the ads!! HEB still had turkey at $.77 a lb into the end of Jan. so I got the last three. So, you can see why my freezers are full!! I got some humongous turkeys while they were on sale.

I spend a lot on meat for my dogs, but it is so much worth it!! It wasnt so bad when I just had one dog, but now with 3 it really adds up. Thats why I dearly love for the taxidermist to call!! Luckily, Roy understands how good it is for them. He winces when we pay for it as he is the one out working for the money!! He's a keeper, I guess.

I had a friend come over yesterday when I was working on the elk and I know that she REALLY didnt understand why I was going to so much trouble for my dogs!! LOL!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I make a periodic trip to "Walmart City" as we call it, and my cart usually ends up with a beef brisket, a pork shoulder, some frozen game hens, liver, and a bunch of whole tilapia. I pick up turkey thighs at other places, and grab heart and such when I see it. Prices per pound range from $1.25 to maybe $1.75. Average probably about $1.50, unless I see a real deal somewhere, like the country style ribs I just got for a buck a pound. I spend somewhere around $75/month to feed Cannon, with the only supplement some Salmon oil to get the Omega's you don't get from store-bought meat.

I feel a little funny when the checkout person says something like "Can I come to your house for dinner?". Especially in today's economic climate, I can't quite bring myself to say "It's for my dog."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeah, when I buy kidneys and liver and hearts and people look at me and ask if I'm going to eat that? I can tell them that its for the dog. They are relieved then! LOL But, when I buy good people meat, I dont tell them that I'm feeding it to my dogs. I get questions occasionally and I tell them, but most of the time, I avoid the answer. When some people are struggling to feed the family, its hard to say that I am feeding my dog. However, I dont get food stamps for my family or my dogs!!! And, we will make up for the cost of the food in savings on going to the vet. I know that Abe has been healthier because of the raw feeding. He gets a little congestion once in a while, but he soared thru his operation and recovery period and I owe all of his ability to bounce back and be as healthy as he is to the fact that he is raw fed.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm 

i usually can find a few animals in AZ during huntin season, but if you havin trouble, i go to the guys that cut up wild game and they will save a big bag of bones for you that usually have some meat on em. my dogs love it when i come home from the butchers shop :D

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:11 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The big hunks of meat were taken off of that elk, but I still got a ton of meat off of it. And I still have a huge hunk that Roy is going to have to help me with!

The bones that dont have a lot of meat, like the ribs, are still great for the dogs to chew the meat off of. Like Chad says, they love the bones and the teeth get a great work out on getting the meat off. And rib bones arent too hard and they get some marrow out of them which is good.

The dogs havent eaten too much on the elk leg bones. They chewed the cartiledge out of the bone that had the joint on it, but the ones that were cut below the knee they just carry around like they are trying to build muscle with them!!! The neck bones have a lot of meat on them and when the dogs have worked and worked to get the meat out, I just pick up the bones and get rid of them. A butcher or taxidermist or even a wild game processor can be a good source of bones with some meat on them. I'm waiting on the hunter that comes in and doesnt want any of the meat, which sometimes happens!! Hopefully, that wont happen before the elk is all gone!! The dogs truly loved the heart from the elk. The lungs I guess are the spongey stuff that has big veins going through them? The dogs like them ok, but the heart has been the best. I didnt get the liver off of that elk, but sure would have liked to. I dont think that the taxidermist really understands the raw feeding, but I am slowly indoctrinating him, so maybe I will get more organs. Of course, what I get also depends on where the animal was shot.

One time when I got a deer from the taxidermist, I also got a small animal that had been skinned and the head removed. I didnt think too much about it, just brought it home and cut it up and gave it to the dogs. But, they wouldnt eat it. I finally realized that it was probably a bobcat and dogs dont eat other predators. They dont get the vitamins and what have you from a predator, like they do from a ruminant. Or, at least that is what I have read. Makes sense, I guess and my dogs sure wouldnt eat it.

This is all pretty interesting to me, in case no one has noticed!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

What I really find interesting is that Cannon loves game hen and turkey, but hates chicken. Go figure...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:06 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yep, they're just a lot like kids!!! Lucy likes turkey, but doesnt like turkey legs. She loves turkey necks! She sure didnt like duck tho!! I pitched it out into the pit (not the barbeque pit!) after I couldnt get her to eat it. Several days later, she brought it back to the house and ate it. Crazy dogs!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty L. wrote:
Several days later, she brought it back to the house and ate it. Crazy dogs!!Betty

Yep. Cannon is constantly burying food (always the stuff he would have to work at) and then getting it when he decides he is hungry enough. Nothing like a 2 day old Tilapia in the yard.. :-( The neighbors boxer that comes over to play is on to Cannon's tricks, and she heads for the burying grounds and digs up whatever is there. She is kibble fed, and thinks it's the best treat she ever had, even with her owner chasing after her trying to get the day old meat away from her! Having seen her chow down on Gopher's their cat brings home, I don't think they have anything to worry about...

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding