Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: Betty- need help
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:08 am 

Betty,
I just started feeding the dogs on a all deer meat diet. I had been feeding them the chicken 1/4 for along time. I have notice that the poop is no longer the white "ash" tupe any more. I feed them scraps from the meat guy, and give them each a few ribs when I feed them. I also give them each a pound of heart aweek. Am I doing it right>

Also, I have a plottxlacy that should of been named wormy. I have her on all sorts of wormer so I know she is clean. What is the best way to get some weight on her?

Post subject: Re: Betty- need help
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:27 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Mike,

The dogs poop willl change most anytime you change their diet up much. Dont worry too much about the changes in the poop. They will have runny poop with too much meat. They will have white poop with too much bone. The chicken quarters are a good enough meal, but its good that you are feeding some red meat now. I think that we were all glad that deer season came when it did!! The deer meat, ribs and heart are fine. You didnt say anything about giving them any liver. The heart counts as a muscle and an organ meat, but they still need liver, regardless of how much other organs are fed. So, just add some beef or deer liver and you are ok.

Please understand that I am not faulting you for feeding the chicken quarters. Chicken quarters for the rest of their lives is a whole lot better than kibble any time! The fact that they are now having red meat, is just that much better for them. I cant afford to feed like I would like now that I have 3 dogs to feed, so my dogs get a lot of chicken too.

As far as the plott/lacy, if you feed her once a day, try feeding her twice a day. You might have to feed her more than the other dogs. Up her portions some. You might have to keep her on some chicken for the fat. Pork trimmings which are usually pretty cheap would help. They are a whole lot fat. You could also try getting some canned chicken broth and give it to her. Chicken broth comes in low fat and low salt. If you can get the regular with low salt that would be good. Dogs are just like people, some can eat all day long and stay thin and others just look at food and get fat! My grandmother could always put fat on a dog by giving them chicken broth!!

Good luck and let me know how she does.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:17 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty,

When I feed Kash chicken his poop is extremely soft almost runny. What else can I do?
Are pork necks ok to feed. Saw some at the store but didnt buy till I hear from you. They seem like they could choke the dog their so small and jagged looking.

Help
Kevin

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Pork neck bones can be sharp and some people say not to feed them because of that. My older dogs eat them, if I can find ones that have enough meat on them. Sometimes I can, sometimes I cant. Some times you can find pork trimmings that are not all fat and fairly cheap. Turkey is a good replacement. Turkeys should be pretty cheap right now. If you dont mind cutting them up, they should work. Turkey necks are cheap and turkey is a totally different protein from chicken. Turkey necks will be too boney just by themselves, so you can feed them one night and some meat the next night.

The chicken may be causing Kash problems because of the fat. If you want to try pulling the fat off, it might make a difference. The cheap chicken that we all get from Wal-mart have what is referred to as enhancements. I'm not real sure what it means other than it is salt and stuff to add cheap weight to the chicken. Sometimes that is what is causing the trouble. I cant afford the chicken that isnt enhanced, so I just feed it anyway. I dont feed Larry chicken because it makes him itch too much. I have to feed him beef hearts for his main food.

Just remember that stools that are runny are not a problem, as long as it is not diarrhea. If the stools come very frequently and are runny, then its a problem. If Kash only goes a couple of times a day and the stool is runny, its ok.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:50 pm 

Our dogs love chicken hearts. I use them like treats...the grown dogs are ever so gentle taking the hearts out of my hands...the pups eat my fingers. :o

Savoy- is Seven still a string bean? Her sister is a little butter ball now. She will run it off on the weekends hunting though so Mike double feeds her until she bulks back up.
How is Ginger doing?

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:51 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

for anyone who is interested- walmart has turkeys on sale for .84 cents a lb. We first saw turkeys for $1.18 a lb and got a couple. Then we found turkeys for $1.04 a lb and put the others back and got a couple of those. Then, we found the turkeys for .84, so we put the others back and got them!!

me

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:16 pm 

Thanks Betty!!!

Mis- Seven is skinny as hell. I have tried everything. I am going to try giver her some more fatty stuff and see if that works. I told Mike about Ginger.......She didnt work out so I found a couple in west Austin who wantted her. The woman fell in love with the dog. Ginger turned into a real sweet dog who would lick on anyone that came in the yard. She never once growled at a person. Sweet dog, just didnt want to do anything besides eat and bark. Tell Mike to call me.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:20 pm 

She was always sweet with me...

I`ll have Mike give you a call.

You might try feeding Seven some cooked brown rice with her raw feed..

~Mis

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:09 pm 

I have always used fat trimmings cooked into white rice to put some ass in the chaps. It never worked for me but the dogs gained weight.......

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Steve,
You need to worm yourself first!!!! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:28 pm 

That is just to funny! LOL

Poor Steve..I worry when the wind blows to hard!

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding