Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:44 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I started feeding Lucy a raw diet 1 month into her first pregnancy. In her first litter she had a cleft palete pup that I tried to bottle feed, but he died. By the time her second litter came along, she had been eating a prey model diet for over a year. She had a cleft palete puppy in the second litter also. I was disappointed as I had heard so many times that a cleft palete could be prevented with the proper diet. I didnt question the diet, but did question what could have caused the cleft palete. After talking to some very knowledgeable friends, I learned a few things.

What I was told was that regardless of the diet that the dog is on, the female's body has the say about how that nutrition is used. So, even tho the gyp is receiving the ultimate diet, her body may not have the ability to uptake and use that nutrition as it should. Each animal's body is different and that is why some dogs have cleft palete or some dogs may have some other defect. The cleft palete could be caused by nutrition, genetics, chemicals or even a trauma at the right time in the pregnancy. In Lucy's case, I can rule out the trauma, because I dont think that she would have received a trauma at the right time in both pregnancies.

Their are those that say that even with a raw diet, that the gyp should be supplemented with vitamins, etc. so that the dog will not have any defective pups. If you feed kibble, even the 'best' kibble, you are feeding something that was not made for the benefit of the dog. It was made for the people who produce it to make money. If you have to supplement the kibble diet to make sure that the gyp gets the proper nutrition, then the kibble is lacking. To supplement when a female is pregnant is not an answer for an incomplete diet. It is a well known fact that the female body needs proper nutrition long before it becomes impregnated. Adding supplements to a kibble is just putting your money in someone elses pocket.

Supplementing a man made food with man made supplements is like playing Russian Roulette with your dogs. You cannot be sure what man has put in the dog food. You have only the back of a bag of dog food to tell you what is in that so-called food. The makers of the dog food are under virtually no control as to what goes into the food. All they have to do is list the protein amount. They dont have to put how much folic acid in the food. They dont have to put how much or even if there are any amino acids, DHA, EHA, or supplements of any kind. When you chose to feed kibble, then supplement it with vitamins, you are giving your dog what YOU think you know is in the kibble and what the dog needs.

A gyp that is fed a prey model diet is eating like her ancestors ate. Her body has the nourishment that was predetermined by a power much greater than the kibble industry or the government who supposedly is overlooking the dog food industry. Her body is constantly ready to produce off-spring because that is how her body and her diet was made to work. In all the years that the dog has been domesticated, it has changed very, very little. The dog still has razor sharp teeth to tear and rip meat. The jaw still works like scissors to cut the meat into. And the jaws are still incredibly strong for crushing bone. If all of these things are still the same, then why would the body not take the raw meat and bones and organs and use it like it was made to?

I cannot say whether Lucy producing cleft palete pups is her genetics, her body not using nutrition like it should or perhaps it is from all the chemicals that I have used out here before learning how bad they are. But, I can say, that it is not from the raw diet that she is allowed to consume. Her diet is the one thing that I can say for sure is the best that she can get. The calcium ratio may be off some, the vitamins that she gets from the organs may be off some, but that is the exact same as she would have if she were eating on her own. Wolves do not get a perfect balance of meat, organs and bone when they eat a meal. They get what they are determined to get according to their place in the pack. The wolves whole system works on getting a lot of food one day and no food at all for a few days. They do not get the perfect ratio, but they have survived for eons and have reproduced offspring that grow and produce their offspring all the while eating a diet of raw meat, bones and organs. Just like God intended them to.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:01 am 

Your post is a good one but I strongly suspect genetics but the main problem is there has not been any studies on whether cleft plates are due to genetics....in people, that is. Not too many people will try to have another kid just to see if it's genetic :D wonder if there's any studies being done on dogs with cleft plates?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:59 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I contacted a couple of places to see about dna testing for cleft palate, but didnt find any. Not saying that there arent places that do it, just didnt find one. The vet that did the surgery on Abe said that it was genetic, but with me, I dont just take a vets word as law like some people do. I contacted UC Davis vet school, but they didnt get back with me. So, I just cant really say which it is, diet, genetics or some other cause. I certainly have enough poison in the concrete around here from years of trying to get rid of spiders that it could be that also. Too bad that I didnt learn to live with spiders before I got the concrete to where any bug that puts a tiny little foot or antennae on it, will die. Which, of course is my other soap box to get on!! :-D I dont like the dogs laying on the concrete, or my grandkids running around barefoot on it.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding