Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: hydrogen peroxide
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:05 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

This is in response to Ambers question about what to use on a cut on her dog. I started to tell her to use the hydrogen peroxide, but decided that I would research it first. I have used hydrogen peroxide all of my life on cuts and have always been very satisfied with it, so I did some looking on the internet. What I found out, and it is what I expected, is that hydrogen peroxide is safe to use on most anything, but you have to pay attention to the strength of it. The 3% that is what most of us are familiar with is safe for use, straight from the bottle. Food grade hydrogen peroxide is 35% and is dangerous for certain applications. It has been said that the foaming that you get when it is applied to a cut is the H2O2 eating up tissue. On a very basic level, this is true. But, it is not a bad thing. The foaming is changing the H2O2 to oxygen, thus protecting the other tissue. Hydrogen peroxide is water with an extra oxygen molecule. So, it is good to use it on a cut. H2O2 is one of those things that science will debunk because it is cheap, readily available and not a good source of income. And, they dont think that we can handle something that might be dangerous at the wrong percentage. Hence, the medical establishment says that it isnt good to use it. They also have a problem believing that something that can do as many good things as H2O2 can, just cant be true.

I have included a couple websites that tell about H2O2.

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles ... -tips.html
http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/bene ... ul03.shtml

The following is from a website http://www.h2o2.com/intro that is more scientific than the others. I am just pulling out a paragraph that deals with the foaming action.

22. Is H2O2 really a "natural" substance?

Yes. H2O2 is produced by both animal and plant cells -- being associated with the mitochondrial respiratory chain, as well as various hydroxylation and oxygenation reactions. For example, the popular free-radical dietary supplement, superoxide dismutase (SOD), serves to convert the toxic superoxide radical (O2-) into H2O2, as do the flavin-linked oxidases. A number of other enzymes such as the heme-containing catalase (located in mitochondrial peroxisomes) then decompose the H2O2 to oxygen in order to protect the cells from subsequent damage. You can see these enzymes in action for yourself when you apply H2O2 topically to a cut or wound and witness the intense foaming. Also, the whitening of skin when exposed to more concentrated H2O2 is due to trapped oxygen beneath the epidermis caused as a result of H2O2 permeating through the skin and being decomposed by epidural enzymes. Saliva is another source for H2O2-decomposing enzymes -- hence the foaming when brushing with H2O2-containing tooth pastes. H2O2 is also an active intermediate in the bioluminescence reaction involving the luciferase enzyme (from fireflies).

Hope that some of you read the websites. Hydrogen peroxide is a great product for a lot of uses. It is better for the environment than bleach, will put highlights in your hair and get blood out of clothing. It can be used with sugar as an insecticide, can be used as a natural fertilizer and can help fight cancer. What more could you want??

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: hydrogen peroxide
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

H2O2 makes cool scars. :D

Post subject: Re: hydrogen peroxide
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:51 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
Hope that some of you read the websites. Hydrogen peroxide is a great product for a lot of uses. It is better for the environment than bleach, will put highlights in your hair and get blood out of clothing. It can be used with sugar as an insecticide, can be used as a natural fertilizer and can help fight cancer. What more could you want??

Thanks for researching this, Ms. Betty. I had heard conflicting information.

I had no idea it could be used as an insecticide! Good to know!

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding