Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: aggression and vaccines
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:11 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

After reading the posts on problems that some are having with dogs being aggressive, I decided to run my own little questionaire.

It is not uncommon for a dog to become aggressive after receiving their rabies vaccine. I know that vaccines are not responsible for all aggression, so dont anyone think that I am saying that, ok? But, I would like to ask some questions of those of you who do have some aggression problems. If the dog showed any aggression at all as a puppy, did you notice if it got worse as the dog got older? Did you try to think back and see what caused the aggression to get worse? Can you put a reason behind the aggression? If you dont know of a reason that the dog became aggressive, did you know that the rabies vaccine can make a dog aggressive and can you put the two together?

I am just curious about this and I'm not telling anyone not to vaccinate their dog for rabies, but would like for those who have had the problem to think about my questions and let me know.

Thanks,
Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:31 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty, of course we've already discussed this, but I'll share my information in the spirit of public knowledge...

If the dog showed any aggression at all as a puppy, did you notice if it got worse as the dog got older? Yes. She was hell on wheels as a pup, definitely feisty and didn't take crap from any dog, but I don't think she was truly aggressive. She seemed to turn a corner at about 6 months.

Did you try to think back and see what caused the aggression to get worse?
Can you put a reason behind the aggression?
I think part of it was she hit a new stage in her development and her prey drive really kicked in but she didn't have a proper outlet for it. From what I know now about her sire and even her dam's breeder, aggression could have come from both lines, and unfortunately there was a perfect storm in Sadie. But there was something extra, I think, that made it worse and somehow unexpected.

If you dont know of a reason that the dog became aggressive, did you know that the rabies vaccine can make a dog aggressive and can you put the two together? The first time her aggression truly amazed me was not long after she had her first rabies vaccine. Yes, I think it could have been one of the reasons, or at least heightened the situation. There were many factors behind her behavior issues. The best solution was giving her a real job that redirected her instincts, drive and grit in a positive way. But the timing with her first rabies shot is sort of eerie, so I think it is entirely possible that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

As always Betty, share your research and information, I think it could be very helpful to a lot of people.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01 am 
Site Admin

If the dog showed any aggression at all as a puppy, did you notice if it got worse as the dog got older? Did you try to think back and see what caused the aggression to get worse? Can you put a reason behind the aggression?

My female was submissive until approx. 9 months of age. Then she started having food aggression toward other dogs but there were no other issues. When she was 15 months old, she was in my boyfriend's backyard with his 4-year old daughter. Without warning, his neighbor's lab mix flew out the window of their house, went straight for Luna and tore into her. I witnessed the entire thing...it was a complete surprise attack. The little girl got knocked down but she was ok. After that day my dog became increasingly defensive around strange dogs. If a dog engaged her without the appropriate introductions, my dog would tuck tail, snarl, lunge, and growl. We've been working to correct the behavior and it's slowly getting better.

If you dont know of a reason that the dog became aggressive, did you know that the rabies vaccine can make a dog aggressive and can you put the two together?

My male, who has also been vaccinated, has had zero aggression problems toward any dog. When a dog reaches social maturity, they begins to challenge the status of other dogs...and this is when a lot of aggression problems begin. I can't draw any correlation between vaccinations and aggression in my dogs.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

A little info from a website about the rabies vaccine and its side effects:

Another point that might ring a bell with many is a thread I've found in my research stated by a number of holistic veterinarians, that usually the animal will not manifest the illness it is vaccinated for, at least not in its acute form, but the chronic symptoms often look very much like the acute illnesses. A good example is that with the rabies vaccination, over time the following rabies like symptoms are likely to be observed to varying degrees:

* Restless nature, suspicion of others
* Aggression towards other animals and people
* Excessive sensitivity
* Changes in behavior: distancing, or clingy
* Restraining can lead to violent behavior and self-injury
* Self-mutilation, tail chewing
* Hoarseness, excessive barking
* Chronic poor appetite, very finicky
* Paralysis of throat or tongue, sloppy eaters, drooling
* Dry eye, loss of sight, cataract
* Eating wood, stones, earth, stool
* Destructive behavior, shredding bedding